Help with Speaker Cables [or adapters] for JL Audio Fathom subs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Speaker Cables [or adapters] for JL Audio Fathom subs?

LeoFenderBender
02-19-2011, 04:04 PM
I have Tara Labs speaker cables [banana to banana]; I was hoping to go into dual JL Audio F110 subs but the subs only have inputs for ¼” TRS, RCA, and XLR.

Is there an adapter that will convert a banana plug into a male TRS, RCA, or XLR?

If not, what speaker cables should I be looking for? I'm not opposed to buying what I need. My amps are Cary Audio Design 500 monoblocks with WRS terminals that work well with bananas. I either need an adapter or new cables to run my subs.

Any help is much appreciated!

Mr Peabody
02-19-2011, 04:36 PM
What you need to do is get some RCA cables and go from your preamp output into the sub's RCA input. Some preamps have two outputs but if yours does not you may have to use a Y adaptor at the preamp with one side of the Y to the power amp and the other side to the sub.

Your power amp is a high level output but the inputs you mentioned on your sub are low level inputs like from a preamp. I'm assuming from what you said the subs already have a built in amp so do not need power from the monoblocks.

LeoFenderBender
02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Peabody,

Excellent response. My pre is a Krell KCR3 - I am running the XLR outputs into my monoblocks leaving the unbalanced RCA outputs unused. If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting I go direct from the pre into the subs. I hadn't even considered that solution.

The thought of melting RCA plugs from the monoblocks did occur to me...

Thanks!

rakeford
02-20-2011, 02:07 PM
First determine whether your sub has its own power amp inside the sub box. If so then go directly from your preamp RCA outputs to the RCA inputs of the sub using a standard RCA phono cable, if it's long enough. If you need more length, you can get a long RCA phono cable made specifically for subwoofers. You can also use the ¼” TRS or XLR if that's convenient.

The preamp output is low power, so no need to worry about melting cables or plugs. The power is generated from the power amp inside the sub.

The RCA input on your sub is likely a line level input to a power amp in the sub box.

LeoFenderBender
02-20-2011, 05:05 PM
JL Audio doesn't make passive subs for home use.

Mr Peabody
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Krell & Cary is an interesting combo, thinking each has a different sonic character, how's it working out? Are the monoblocks solid state? Curious what main speakers you are using?

LeoFenderBender
02-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Krell & Cary is an interesting combo, thinking each has a different sonic character, how's it working out? Are the monoblocks solid state? Curious what main speakers you are using?

My speakers are Magnepan 3.6Rs; I have been hooked on planars for decades.

Cary CAD 500 MBs are 500 watt AB solidstate monoblocks; to my ear, the Krell pre matches fine. The Krell pre is clean with a black background. Even with maggies, the MBs have power to spare and quickly fill the bass without smearing.

The JL Audio Fathom F110 subs are FAST enough to keep up with the maggies, they are the fastest and most musical subs I have ever heard - easy to integrate - designed to quickly move air, the pistons are enormous.

Mr Peabody
02-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I have had some Krell and still have a kav-500i tucked away. I lean toward the older Krell just for the darker background you mentioned. You have a nice set up.