How far would you go to audition new gear? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How far would you go to audition new gear?

Ajani
02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Does auditioning new gear make you more excited than a kid on Christmas morning? How far would you go to audition a sweet new setup?

This far?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GO8Sv112Rdk/TVoBk0Mn4DI/AAAAAAAAAeA/GbSgnvaO0ZM/s1600/05-12-09+-+Rodriguex+cartoon+-+prison.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GO8Sv112Rdk/TVoBk0Mn4DI/AAAAAAAAAeA/GbSgnvaO0ZM/s1600/05-12-09+-+Rodriguex+cartoon+-+prison.jpg

dean_martin
02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
I almost caused the whole family to miss the flight home from Denver. We flew out to Denver for a national seminar that my kids were involved with several years ago. I scouted some places online beforehand and came up with 2 or 3 shops to check out if I had time to sneak away from the fam. No free time for me until the morning of the day we were supposed to leave. (Audio shops don't open at the crack of dawn though.) I took the rental car and hit 2 places. Heard some Quicksilver amps at the first place. At the second place I was listening to some Maggies driven by ARC gear and lost track of time. When I got back to the hotel the family was outside with all their bags waiting on me. The wife had steam coming out her ears and horns coming out her head. Luckily, we made it to the airport in time so it was worth it.

Feanor
02-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Kitchener-Waterloo. To purchase, say, speakers, maybe Toronto.

Ajani
02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Kitchener-Waterloo. To purchase, say, speakers, maybe Toronto.

So basically all of Ontario?

bobsticks
02-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I've gone as far as Chicago and Saint Louis...I can see going to Detroit...mebbe Phili but Swish won't let me come to Pennsylvania...

...prolly the farthest would be New Orleans if only as a pretext to dine once again at August...

thekid
02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
I drove to Winston-Salem NC to pick-up my TF-600's
Drove to Charlotte NC to pick-up my Adcom 545 II

Even taking in the cost of gas I still got both pieces at well below their going rate.
In addition one road trip was made with my son and it was awesome just cruising the open road tlaking about anything/everything. The other road trip was with my wife and was a great little weekend get-away.

Feanor
02-19-2011, 04:29 AM
So basically all of Ontario?
Thunder Bay? I should think not! :nonod:

mlsstl
02-19-2011, 06:17 AM
While I've certainly visited a number of audio dealers when I've been out of town for other reasons, the furtherest I've specifically traveled JUST to audition equipment has been about 350 miles. I live in St. Louis and over the years I've driven to KC, Omaha, Chicago and Bloomington, IN, plus some other places not as far.

JoeE SP9
02-20-2011, 12:18 PM
If I travel any kind of distance it's to not only audition but most probably buy the product auditioned. I really can't see myself driving 200 miles and going home empty handed saying that's was a nice, amp, speaker or whatever.

mlsstl
02-20-2011, 01:16 PM
JoeE, as far as actually buying, I'm about 50:50 on trips. I'd agree there has to be some fundamental interest in the product(s) - you won't catch me driving a couple hundred miles to hear something that doesn't seem like it would appeal to me.

OTOH, if feasible, I'd rather take a trip and find I don't like something versus buying blind and learning the hard way that I wish I'd listened first. There have been some pretty well regarded products over the years that have left me cold for one reason or another.

JoeE SP9
02-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I agree. It's just that I've been around so long there are very few things that are new to me. It still comes down to; For me, traveling a long distance will never be just to audition something. I fully realize I might end up not buying. I that case the trip for me would be a waste of time. Therefore, I'm always almost certain I'm going to purchase before starting on the trip.

Age and experience have enabled me to usually know what interests me. I'm not interested in collecting gear. Improving what I have is what I aim to do. I most often wait for what I want to become available at a price I'm willing to pay.

badhabit67
03-05-2011, 05:36 AM
I agree with JoeE,if I'm going to make a roadtrip of distance it's not just for an audition. I've made trips of 300 miles,roundtrip,to purchase gear.My last trip garnered a real nice set of speakers,for not much more than my gas money,and a trade.
That was a 225 mile roundtrip,that was worth while,and a nice pair of 4435 JBL'S.

pixelthis
03-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Can't afford gas or the new gear, so its pretty much a moot point...
But whenever I AM OUTTA TOWN, make it a point to visit any local shops, if the have any.
Been quite awhile, tho...:1: