Why aren't regular speakers like Boom Box Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't regular speakers like Boom Box Speakers?

hershon
04-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Something has always puzzled me. I love the sound coming out of any boom box I ever had when playing CD's. How come this kind of sound can't be duplicated on regular
stereo speakers (systems)? If somehow there are regular speakers/systems that get this boom box type sound, could someone please let me know the brand/model number. I'm really curious about this. Thanks.

Wireworm5
04-12-2004, 01:28 AM
Something has always puzzled me. I love the sound coming out of any boom box I ever had when playing CD's. How come this kind of sound can't be duplicated on regular
stereo speakers (systems)? If somehow there are regular speakers/systems that get this boom box type sound, could someone please let me know the brand/model number. I'm really curious about this. Thanks.

A boom box typically uses a bookshelf size speaker. So with this speaker they are trying to cover the entire spectrum of sound which it's not capable of doing without some sacrifices being made. This is not a problem for the manufacturer since the vast majority of people including yourself like exagerated bass. So they can choose a speaker that adds color to the lower frequencies. Thus emphasizing the bass to sound bigger and sacrificing some mid-range.A boom box would also probably be equalized to add even more frequency emphasis to certain frequencies.
Home speaker designs aren't trying to do everything with a typical bookshelf. They build it to suite different budget levels and try to build a speaker that doesn't color the sound to the extent they can. And home receivers are also made to keep the signal as close to the source as they can, adding tone controls if you want them.
However you should be able to mimic a boom box with a home system by using an equalizer. You would have to adjust the frequency bands to the disired positions to recreate the affect. With a computer you could do it as well. Some programs have equalizers, and you can also change the soundwave any way you want.
A good home speaker for this would be Cerwin Vega LS-8 (which I happen to own). Capable of lots of bass and gets better the louder its played. Add a computer and soundcard and a cheap receiver/amp and you're all set.

Happy Listening!

Bryan
04-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Boom boom boom. Yeah. Boom boom boom.

Boomy never equals good. It is an exageration of frequencies primarily based in the 35Hz - 63Hz range. You are mislead into thinking that is the way it should be. Reality is something else. For example, you may love a subwoofer such as the Sony SA-WM40 and despise the bass the SVS 25-31PCi puts out. However, do not kid yourself. The SVS is in a completely different league putting out much cleaner and deeper bass. You may originally dislike the sound but you will need to give your ears a chance to adjust for it is by far a much better subwoofer. Your ears need to adjust to the cleaner sound.

In terms of quality, you are spending $100 or more for the entire package. Naturally corners will be cut. They will use 1/8 - 1/4" thick plywood rather than 3/4" MDF. They will use lesser speakers rather than ones made by ScanSpeak or Vifa. A $100 cd player will put out better sound than the cd player they include as it will be of a higher quality.

Another thing to note is higher efficiency speakers may not be better. Cerwin Vega and Klipsch will play louder than Dynaudio will at a given receivers volume level. However, if you use a SPL meter to ensure the volume level of the speakers are the same you may prefer the Dynaudios over the Klipsch.

royphil345
04-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Although the sound of boombox speakers is usually quite colored, there is often an undeniable synergy to the sound. Probably due to full-range speakers or very simple crossovers that don't even try to push the drivers limits of frequency range. Also, the electronics are all optimized to work together (larger systems can suffer from gain problems due to components with slightly different output levels). The goal of a larger system, is to maintain that synergy while getting a wider frequency range ( The wider the frequency range you work with, the more your room can effect the tightness of the sound) and less coloration. This can be a challenge, but it can be done!!!

Roy

kexodusc
04-12-2004, 08:48 AM
WTF??? To which Boomboxes are you referring too? Every boombox I've heard sounds muffled, thin and boring to me. I haven't heard a boombox that even the cheapest Sony or Kenwood stereo receiver and noisiest Cerwin-Vega's couldn't smoke.
I'll gladly stand corrected because I happen to be shopping for a boombox or mini-system with an alarm feature for my bedroom...the ol' FM alarm clock radio just ain't cutting it!!! Any recommendations?

topspeed
04-12-2004, 11:31 AM
WTF??? To which Boomboxes are you referring too? Every boombox I've heard sounds muffled, thin and boring to me. I haven't heard a boombox that even the cheapest Sony or Kenwood stereo receiver and noisiest Cerwin-Vega's couldn't smoke.
I'll gladly stand corrected because I happen to be shopping for a boombox or mini-system with an alarm feature for my bedroom...the ol' FM alarm clock radio just ain't cutting it!!! Any recommendations?

KC,
Check out the CSW table radio. I have the previous gen in my kitchen and it sounds remarkably good, much bigger than its size would suggest. It also has an adjustable "sub" so you can dial in as much bass as you want. Very rich, room filling sound and it comes with a very handy remote. Far better than the Bose Waveradio, imo.
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=aud_radio

Herson,
There are plenty of speakers that reproduce the kind of sound you're looking for and Wireworms' CV's would be at the top of my list. You might also look into some older Pioneer or Technic's with 12" or 15" drivers. They'd probably work well for you too.

Good luck,

hershon
04-12-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm curious as to your response about sound from boom boxes being muffled, thin and boring. Two of the brands I've had were Sony and Aiwa with cassette features as well (they cost me a few years ago between $90-150, they're probably much cheaper now) and when I listen to rock CD's the sound has total presence and richness and an energy level that I can't seem to reproduce on any of the stereo or home theater systems that I've had. Albeit I listen to music on the boom box from only a few feet away- if I listened to it from 10 feet away or more it wouldn't sound that good.