Parametric EQ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Parametric EQ

audio amateur
02-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi friends, I haven't been around for a while, and i guess im just passing by for now. I hope everyone is doing okay.
I have a question regarding subwoofer EQ. I don't have one at the moment, and i know it's beneficial, but my question is, isn't the off axis response a lot worse with an equalised sub? If so, doesn't that outweigh the benefits of a flat sweet spot freq. response using EQ?

If i should consider one, is the BFD still the best cheap option or should i look at other options?

Woochifer
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
The parametric EQ is always going to optimize the bass for the seated position. But, note that the off-axis issues affect an unequalized subwoofer just as much. In my experience, the positives with taming the boomy peaks for the seated position far outweigh any off-axis issues.

Believe me, EQing the subwoofer is one of the most cost effective upgrades you can make anywhere in your system, and it's simply one of the most effective upgrades regardless of cost. For all the long-winded posts that people make about their system upgrades, very very few of them (aside from speakers) are true "night and day" difference makers. The parametric EQ counts in that elite group. IMO, unless you have a very large room that's not susceptible to excessive room gain effects, nobody that values good sounding bass should buy a subwoofer without one, it's that important.

As far as which one to buy, the BFD gets the most recs simply because it's the least expensive parametric EQ you can buy, and it has extensive documentation and setup tips posted by people who've used the BFD as a subwoofer EQ. (Believe me, you'll need to read up on those pointers, because the BFD is definitely not user friendly) But, nowadays you got a lot of other options available for subwoofer EQing.

When I installed my subwoofer about 8 years ago, you didn't have a lot of parametric EQs to choose from, and most of them were not easy to use. Gradually, more companies came out with dedicated parametric EQs for subwoofers, many of which now had auto-calibration features built in. There's no question that any of these options will greatly improve your bass quality, EQing just works.

audio amateur
02-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks Wooch. Sounds like a BFD should be on my list of gear to buy next

E-Stat
02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
If so, doesn't that outweigh the benefits of a flat sweet spot freq. response using EQ?
I would measure the room response first to see where the problems are. In my case, the room modes were largely above the frequency range where the subs operate. Pouring boost into a room suckout doesn't work either. I sold my equalizer.

rw

audio amateur
02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I would measure the room response first to see where the problems are. In my case, the room modes were largely above the frequency range where the subs operate. Pouring boost into a room suckout doesn't work either. I sold my equalizer.

rw
I've always been told that the worst hit frequency range was under 100Hz. Basically, the lower you go the more problems you have. You're not using EQ in your HT?
I should really measure the current response in order to determine what to do about it. Now if i could just have the courage to do that..