frenchmon
02-15-2011, 03:25 AM
...Whats he trying to prove?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqxcXf9ZvLQ

Heres his other one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2PDnfc4aL8

poppachubby
02-15-2011, 04:37 AM
I'm not sure he is trying to prove anything. He's watching the wave forms of a test record and sharing it on you tube. Boring...

atomicAdam
02-15-2011, 04:28 PM
The roll off of the very high end is interesting.

But I think the low end certainly seems to have a lot of rumble in the noise. when the low drums and such are played - while the do go above the noise floor - the floor is already very high. It would be more interesting if he could get an image of the average noise floor and super impose that on top of the sound waves off the record.

poppachubby
02-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Ya I agree, if he had some kind of explanation about the graph it would make for a more interesting view.

frenchmon
02-16-2011, 04:32 AM
The roll off of the very high end is interesting.

But I think the low end certainly seems to have a lot of rumble in the noise. when the low drums and such are played - while the do go above the noise floor - the floor is already very high. It would be more interesting if he could get an image of the average noise floor and super impose that on top of the sound waves off the record.

how can you tell all that from the graph?

atomicAdam
02-18-2011, 01:18 PM
how can you tell all that from the graph?

A lot of time in math class?

I spent a lot of time playing with waves on computers. but it appears to the a 20-20,000hz scale - and the initial curve is the noise floor. when the sound comes through it makes the wave bounce around.

idk - idk what he is trying to prove either. maybe be better if he could do a side by side of different tables/amps/carts or something.

jrhymeammo
02-18-2011, 06:24 PM
The biggest mystery to me is the graph looked like an exact replica of the RIAA equ curve.
But the signal coming out of a phono stage shouldn't look like that unless, LP signals go thru 2 stages of RIAA equalization, or low level non-LP audio signal thru the RIAA equa. Am I correct?

Either way, I think it would've been a bit more convincing if the 2nd video showed rumble and noise floor difference thru the program he had showing on the first video.

swan24
02-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I think if audiophiles want to show the fidelity of their equipment, they should take a preamp level signal from the output of the device in question, and then record it on an MP3 recorder, or better yet, in CD or HDCD mode, and link it on a venue like 4shared, and then let people download the file...

They could burn a CD, then play it on their own home audio systems, and then get a much better idea of the quality of sound coming from that piece of gear... (m.)

atomicAdam
02-22-2011, 04:58 PM
I think if audiophiles want to show the fidelity of their equipment, they should take a preamp level signal from the output of the device in question, and then record it on an MP3 recorder, or better yet, in CD or HDCD mode, and link it on a venue like 4shared, and then let people download the file...

They could burn a CD, then play it on their own home audio systems, and then get a much better idea of the quality of sound coming from that piece of gear... (m.)

It is a good idea, but wouldn't work. What you'd be hearing is the recording, not the system.

swan24
02-22-2011, 06:04 PM
It is a good idea, but wouldn't work. What you'd be hearing is the recording, not the system.

Assuming you had a good digital recorder, the recording would be fairly neutral, no?... Let's say you were trying to illustrate how good the reception on your tuner was... If you took the outputs, and just recorded them onto a digital recorder, you'd have a pretty good idea of how the tuner sounded, right? You could make some fairly objective evaluations about the sound, no?... (m.)