I am adopting! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I am adopting!

JohnMichael
02-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes folks tomorrow I pick up my 3 year old neutered male Beagle from the Humane Society. His current name is Regal but I may have to drop the L. I have not had a dog in years and I think I will enjoy the company. Since he is neutered I might get to be the alpha-male.

My sister went with me to check him out and when she had him on the leash he walked right at her side. When I took the leash he started running ahead and trying to pull me. I think he senses that I am a pushover. I may need advice from dog owners on this site.

I just hope he is not pretending to like me just to get out of doggie prison. When I made the second visit with my sister all the dogs were barking except for Rega. He just stood there wagging his tail and smiling. His smile won me over.

ForeverAutumn
02-14-2011, 03:39 PM
That's fantastic news John! Regal the Beagle definately has to go though, good job on dropping the L. :)

Rescuing an animal is an admirable thing to do. There are so many great animals looking for homes. I'm sure that you and Rega will get along famously and enjoy many years together. I can't wait to see pics!

thekid
02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Both of our cats were rescued animals. The funny thing when we adopted the first one the cat the kids first picked we could not take home because it was being "held for evidence". As a matter of fact we were told that there was entire wall where all the animals were being "held for evidence" including 2 chickens.

GMichael
02-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Lucky dog.

JohnMichael
02-14-2011, 06:21 PM
That's fantastic news John! Regal the Beagle definately has to go though, good job on dropping the L. :)

Rescuing an animal is an admirable thing to do. There are so many great animals looking for homes. I'm sure that you and Rega will get along famously and enjoy many years together. I can't wait to see pics!

I look forward to someone being excited to see me when I get home. I hope he likes music. I will feel safe walking him around town.

JohnMichael
02-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Lucky dog.

Lucky dog. Lucky owner. Thanks GM

kexodusc
02-14-2011, 06:27 PM
I couldn't imagine life without my dog. You'll have a blast and you'll both learn lots from each other, JM. Good for you for giving this guy a home!

poppachubby
02-15-2011, 04:40 AM
I hope he doesn't pee on your pristine carpets John! Oh the fun of housebreaking...it's all worth it. Congrats!!

JohnMichael
02-15-2011, 04:45 AM
I hope he doesn't pee on your pristine carpets John! Oh the fun of housebreaking...it's all worth it. Congrats!!

Oh the carpets are not pristine since 13 months of a 25 year old human rescue. Since he is 3 years old I think it should be fairly easy. I did not feel I had the energy for a puppy. They had lots of them for adoption.

JohnMichael
02-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Well we have been home for an hour now.

JohnMichael
02-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Of course he had to jump on my antique quilt.

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2011, 05:12 PM
LOL! Less than an hour and he's already on the furniture. Yep, I can see who's going to be ruling your roost. :D

He's adorable John!

kexodusc
02-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Seems like a happy little dude. Well done!

LeRoy
02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Congrats JM!

I miss having a dog and looks like Rega already is home sweet home. Will you be giving Rega middle name....like say....Apollo?

jrhymeammo
02-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Great looking dog there John.
I love short legged dogs, especially the Beagle.

My dog has knocked over 3 pairs of speakers, busted 4 tubes, ate over a dozen LP covers, clothings, bed sheets/covers, and tons of other stuff I have yet to discover... If I had to choose between my dog and stereo gear, I would take him in a heartbeat. That SOB has given me countless headaches, but I wouldn't trade him for all the tea in China.

Enjoy and have fun,
JRA

Woochifer
02-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Big ups to you JM! :thumbsup:

Rescue dogs are an adventure, but you get so much in return. We lost our rescue dog just a few weeks ago after 9 years. It's time he otherwise might not have had, so we consider ourselves fortunate to have had that length of time with him.

Enjoy your time with him, I'm sure he'll be well spoil'd ... errr ... well taken care of!

Woochifer
02-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Yep, after we adopted our dog, he went right to the futon and claimed it. We initially didn't allow him on the furniture, even barricading them during the day when we went to work. Didn't work, he would worm his way through everything, and we eventually gave in. Once he was allowed on the sofa, he then progressively sprawled further and further out until he took over half of it. THAT's what you have to look forward to!

Feanor
02-16-2011, 05:05 AM
What a sweetheart. :smile5:

I love dogs, (and other animals). We've had two dogs in recent years. My wife has proved most of the care, but when the first died about five years ago, I suffered an unanticipated and almost debilitating grief for serveral days ... "but he's only a dog".

Granted, his death of cancer was sudden. I'm appalled to realized that when my mother died last year at I felt less immediate grief than for the dog, ( is this terribly, terribly wrong?). In her case is was clear for several weeks before that her heart issues were catching up with her at age 91, though the precise date & time of her death were also unpredicted.

A mature dog sounds like a good choice in your case certainly. Puppies are a great deal more work, and though adorable, they don't stay puppies for very long.

Worf101
02-16-2011, 05:22 AM
What a sweetheart. :smile5:

I love dogs, (and other animals). We've had two dogs in recent years. My wife has proved most of the care, but when the first died about five years ago, I suffered an unanticipated and almost debilitating grief for serveral days ... "but he's only a dog".

Granted, his death of cancer was sudden. I'm appalled to realized that when my mother died last year at I felt less immediate grief than for the dog, ( is this terribly, terribly wrong?). In her case is was clear for several weeks before that her heart issues were catching up with her at age 91, though the precise date & time of her death were also unpredicted.

A mature dog sounds like a good choice in your case certainly. Puppies are a great deal more work, and though adorable, they don't stay puppies for very long.
Your mother died of progressive illnesses at age 91. I'm assuming you weren't in day to day contact with her. The dogs death was sudden and you were used to seeing him/her every single day when you walked in the door. I totally understand how latter might be more painful than the former. My dad died at 91, that naggin' little cough finally got him, but I grieved little for him because he was so full of beans right to the end. He'd seen 2 world wars, survived the Great Depression and had managed to raise three kids and was leaving with all his marbles. What was there to cry about? But back to your original question, no, you're NOT wrong... we love who we love how we love them.

Da Worfster

Feanor
02-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Your mother died of progressive illnesses at age 91. I'm assuming you weren't in day to day contact with her. The dogs death was sudden and you were used to seeing him/her every single day when you walked in the door. I totally understand how latter might be more painful than the former. My dad died at 91, that naggin' little cough finally got him, but I grieved little for him because he was so full of beans right to the end. He'd seen 2 world wars, survived the Great Depression and had managed to raise three kids and was leaving with all his marbles. What was there to cry about? But back to your original question, no, you're NOT wrong... we love who we love how we love them.

Da Worfster
Thanks, Worfster. It's true the my mother live in her own apartment but I did speak to her daily on the 'phone.

I won't go into details but maybe a comment or two. My mother had hundreds of friend and acquaintances and made new ones easily all her life. She was outgoing and exceedingly thoughful -- never forgot a birthday, and offered gifts, cards, 'phone calls far beyond the usual social requirement; (if she'd been in her 20s she'd have been a Facebook fanatic). However she was a stickler for proper behaviour and there only two ways to do anything: her way and the wrong way. The better you knew her, the more tedious these faults seemed, and she was not well liked by my wife or her grandchildren. Sad to say, but this shortcoming mitgated our grief quite a lot.

TheHills44060
02-16-2011, 06:13 AM
Keep the L as a tribute to Three's Company!

Feanor
02-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Watch the quilt! Take it from me their little doggy toe nails can do a lot of damage especially the stitching on quilts. If he's to be allowed up, replace the quilt or cover it with an old sheet or the like.

bobsticks
02-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Nice work John. Congrats on the new addition to the family and make sure to allow yourself to enjoy a little unconditional canine love...

dean_martin
02-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Congrats, John! We're a dog family too. We've had Roxie since she was a pup. We adopted our newest addition, Charlie, from my brother-in-law. I even wrote a song about him.

Ballad of Charlie Bright-Sword

Charlie, the dog from Alabama,
Went out to Californ-i-a.
He picked avocadoes with the Mexicans.
Met a li’l Chihuahua ‘long the way.

He got mixed up with some criminals.
Robbed a bank and stole an SUV.
Hopped a boat and sailed to Hawaii,
Caught a plane and flew to Osaki.

Now he’s a Samurai in Jay-pan.
Has a little geisha named Suki.
He fights crime and she makes all the money.
They wag their tails and live happily.

Screwed up in Californ-i-a
Now he’s a Samurai in Jay-pan,
Kickin’ tail,
Sniffin’ tail,
All day!

GMichael
02-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Congrats, John! We're a dog family too. We've had Roxie since she was a pup. We adopted our newest addition, Charlie, from my brother-in-law. I even wrote a song about him.

Kickin’ tail,
Sniffin’ tail,
All day!

Uh.......:shocked:

ForeverAutumn
02-16-2011, 01:57 PM

Kickin’ tail,
Sniffin’ tail,
All day!

I love it!!!

Smokey
02-16-2011, 08:11 PM
We've had two dogs in recent years. My wife has proved most of the care, but when the first died about five years ago, I suffered an unanticipated and almost debilitating grief for serveral days ... "but he's only a dog".

Granted, his death of cancer was sudden. I'm appalled to realized that when my mother died last year at I felt less immediate grief than for the dog, ( is this terribly, terribly wrong?).

Sorry to say Feanor, but IMO it is wrong.

Grieving over a dog should not be in the same catagory as grieving over mother. Dogs are replaceable, but mothers are not.

Feanor
02-17-2011, 05:02 AM
Sorry to say Feanor, but IMO it is wrong.

Grieving over a dog should not be in the same category as grieving over mother. Dogs are replaceable, but mothers are not.
Smokey, you're right of course.

Let me assure everyone that I will miss my mother the rest of my life. Indeed, my mother was a good and conscientious mother and friend to many people -- my appreciation of her will grow, not diminish, for the rest of my life.

That dog, on the other hand, has long since been replace by another, lovable dog. Nevertheless my feelings were what they were. I won't get into details, but I believe that the dog's death was a trigger for deep feelings far beyond the animal himself. In a sense I was luck that these feelings were release at the time of the dog's death rather than at the subsequent death of my mother.

JohnMichael
02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Well it has been interesting having a dog around. He is very energetic and loving. He has some odd behaviors. He never urinates in the apartment but rarely moves his bowels outside the apartment. He chewed the power cord off of my Marantz CD 5001. Today when I tried to turn a lamp on I thought the bulb was burnt out. I looked behind the couch and someone had unplugged it.

Since he is part beagle and hound when he catches a scent he wants to go for it. He is very strong for his size. One snowy day I wished I had a snowboard and then I could keep up with him. He is a very energetic 3 year old. I look forward to the day when our energy levels are equal.

I think I need advice on dog training. Any suggestions for books or sites with good advice. He is a lot of fun but needs some training. Oh and I need to learn how to be the Alpha male. Thanks for any advice.

3LB
02-26-2011, 04:00 PM
You got to keep the 'L'

The local dive from Three's Company, the Regal Beagle... no brainer

JohnMichael
02-26-2011, 05:00 PM
You got to keep the 'L'

The local dive from Three's Company, the Regal Beagle... no brainer

Sorry but he is now named Corky. Corky was a good person from my past who died way too young.

Poultrygeist
02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Dogs aren't you whole life but they sure make your life whole.

JohnMichael
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Corky told Bear to keep an eye out for him. Now if only Corky would stop tossing the eyes around the room.

ForeverAutumn
03-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Poor bear! LOL!

GMichael
03-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Wow! Did Corky say, "Who you lookin' at?" before he ripped it's eyes out?

jrhymeammo
03-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Corky told Bear to keep an eye out for him. Now if only Corky would stop tossing the eyes around the room.

2 weeks ago, my dog went thru my fridge.
Apparetly, I didn't close the door all the away.
When I came home from work, he looked extremely guilty and a bit large.
There was a box on my carpet missing about 20 chicken nuggest. What amazed me was that he had eaten 4 slices of large pizza as well with the pizza box still inside the fridge. The pizza box's lid was shut closed. I don't wanna get into details here, but the next morning I had to go to Lowes and rent a Rug Doctor...

Feanor
03-10-2011, 04:54 AM
There was a box on my carpet missing about 20 chicken nuggest. What amazed me was that he had eaten 4 slices of large pizza as well with the pizza box still inside the fridge. The pizza box's lid was shut closed. I don't wanna get into details here, but the next morning I had to go to Lowes and rent a Rug Doctor...
A few years ago my wife bought a large, 5+ lb. package of ground meat to make spaghetti sauce; unfortunately things prevented her from getting around to it. The meat when just slightly "off" so she put it outside for the dog, (at about 5 degrees F).

He quickly ate the whole thing. It was a bit much quantity-wise for his tummy. He barfed up 1/3 or so of the meat. A few hours later he came back and ate it again.

That's a dog for you. :smile5:

Dual-500
03-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Speaking of food bandits, I have a good story. I've had several German Shepherd Dogs over the years. About number 5 back in the mid 70's while still at home with my parents (I was 22) I got an 18 month old male named Beau Geste. Fablous dog, German bloodlines, lots of training - novice obedience, open obedience, hand signals, and in the end, about 2 years of K-9 work - he worked at a level of the "more than average" dog riding around in the back of a police cruiser.

Kept him at home with another GSD and he was a family pet. Great dog, very sociable and playful.

My dad told me this story. One evening, I was off somewhere and dad was out on the back patio grilling a couple of steaks on the gas BBQ. Beau was out there with him watching. Dad flipped the steaks, turned and picked up his beer on the table and took a swig. He put the beer down and turned around to see Beau heading across the back lawn with a steak in his mouth he had snatched off the grill while dad had his back turned.

He said he yelled at him and he dropped it. Then of course, he went and retreived the steak, rinsed it off with the hose, and plopped it back on the grill. :)

Here's a picture of Beau in action on the training field doing a night "Hetze Test" demonstration back in 1977:

http://www.senorpanadero.net/uploader/userfiles/stevew/Beau1%20%28Small%29.jpg

Since the topic here is rescue Beagle's, count me in the club. This guy wandered up to the front yard one day in January 2000 as a ~10 week old puppy - he's got a Beagle foundation with who know's what else mixed in. One thing for sure, he has a great nose, is very loyal and has captured a big place in my heart.

Arnold sporting his summer "Chuck the Ice Man Liddell" mohawk:

http://www.senorpanadero.net/uploader/userfiles/stevew/Wudgie.JPG

FOR JohnMichael: Suggest you read up on Beagles. They have a few common helath anomalies you should be aware of. The main one being deafness and can be prone to ear infections. Arnold lost most of his hearing a few years ago.