Response and Range [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Response and Range

Joe_Carr
02-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I kinda get confused about this but does frequency response and frequency range the same thing? Some people say yes and some people say both are little different. Like my speakers says that the frequency range is from 90hz to 20kHz. But Roland could off of cource said frequency response is 90hz to 20kHz right since both the same thing?

I just really need to know the truth is range and response is exactly the same thing just worded differently?

pixelthis
02-14-2011, 12:51 PM
I kinda get confused about this but does frequency response and frequency range the same thing? Some people say yes and some people say both are little different. Like my speakers says that the frequency range is from 90hz to 20kHz. But Roland could off of cource said frequency response is 90hz to 20kHz right since both the same thing?

I just really need to know the truth is range and response is exactly the same thing just worded differently?

just semantics. You say tomato...
AND AT THE END OF THE DAY it doesn't matter, really. Although Human hearing
technically goes to twenty thousand hertz, most don't hear much above 12,000.
ACTUALLY, THATS HIGH. Most are lucky to reach 10,000. Most of the stated
freq ranges of speakers are just advertising copy, really, because they know
that only a German Shepard could tell. And they aint talking.
SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. Worry more about the lower end, and accurately
matching that with a sub.:1:

Joe_Carr
02-14-2011, 02:35 PM
So I guess you guys are saying this is not serious since you put that pic up. I assume you are saying the opposite of what that pic says. But I guess then that means frequency response and frequency range are the exact same thing just worded differently. I don't really like to assume things though but by showing that pic I can only think that you mean the opposite of what it says about being serious.

Nasir
02-14-2011, 03:36 PM
My understanding of the matter is as follows:
Frequency response: usually given a minus 3Db to indicate that the more or less average response has fallen half, meaning a much softer but nonetheless perfectly audible output from the speaker. This is quoted for the low freq ( say 50 Hz )and high freq ( say 15 kHz) where the speaker has run out of steam. One would presume that this is measured scientifically. In the real world the curve of the frequency response is all but linear, and design factors and crossovers try to tame it from looking like some sick dude´s blood pressure chart! Most of the time this chart or graph is available for scrutiny.

The frequency range should mean the same as above, but since one can get creative here, the low and high frequencies boasted here by an unscrupulous manufacturer could only be audible to my 3 cats and who knows what else the speaker is doing at any given frequency. An audiophile expecting a reasonably decent linear behavior might be shocked at what exactly comes out of the speakers. This does NOT mean that all speaker makers would quote fabulous figures here. The graph has already been shredded together with the speaker designer!!

Hyfi
02-15-2011, 04:25 AM

OK, it's time to learn how to use Google.

Open a browser and type in at the top "www.google.com"
In the search box, type "frequency response vs frequency range"
Hit the enter key
Observe the fact that you just got About 11,400,000 results
Click on the first result and read it
too hard? here is what it says
<<Frequency Response / Frequency Range
From inSync reader Kevin T. comes the following question (which qualifies as both a WFTD and a TTOTD): What is the difference between frequency response and frequency range as it pertains to studio reference monitors?

Kevin, first of all, thanks for the question! According to the Unabridged inSync Master Dictionary (which we make up as we go...): Frequency Range is the actual span of frequencies that a monitor can reproduce, say from 5 Hz to 22 kHz.

Frequency Response is the Frequency Range versus Amplitude. In other words, at 20 Hz, a certain input signal level may produce 100 dB of output. At 1 kHz, that same input level may produce 102 dB of output. At 10 kHz, 95 dB, and so on. A graph of all the frequencies plotted versus level is the Frequency Response Curve (FRC) of the monitor.

When you see a Frequency Response specification for a monitor, the manufacturer is telling you that for a given input signal, the listed range of frequencies will produce output within a certain range of levels. For example: 20 Hz to 20 kHz ± 3 dB. For these frequencies, the monitor will output signals that are within a 6 dB (± 3 dB) range. This does not mean that the speaker won't reproduce frequencies outside this range, it will! But frequencies outside the range will be more than 3 dB off from the reference level. For further information, see also May 5th's inSync Word For The Day, "Flat Response", available in the inSync>>

Then hit the back button and click on the 3rd hit from Wikipedia
too hard? here is what it says
<<Frequency response
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Not to be confused with Response Frequency.

Frequency response is the measure of any system's output spectrum in response to an input signal.[1] In the audible range it is usually referred to in connection with electronic amplifiers, microphones and loudspeakers. Radio spectrum frequency response can refer to measurements of coaxial cables, category cables, video switchers and wireless communications devices. Subsonic frequency response measurements can include earthquakes and electroencephalography (brain waves).

Frequency response requirements differ depending on the application.[2] In high fidelity audio, an amplifier requires a frequency response of at least 20–20,000 Hz, with a tolerance as tight as ±0.1 dB in the mid-range frequencies around 1000 Hz, however, in telephony, a frequency response of 400–4,000 Hz, with a tolerance of ±1 dB is sufficient for intelligibility of speech.[2]

Frequency response curves are often used to indicate the accuracy of electronic components or systems.[1] When a system or component reproduces all desired input signals with no emphasis or attenuation of a particular frequency band, the system or component is said to be "flat", or to have a flat frequency response curve.[1]
Frequency response of a low pass filter with 6 dB per octave or 20 dB per decade

The frequency response is typically characterized by the magnitude of the system's response, measured in decibels (dB), and the phase, measured in radians, versus frequency. The frequency response of a system can be measured by applying a test signal, for example:

* applying an impulse to the system and measuring its response (see impulse response)
* sweeping a constant-amplitude pure tone through the bandwidth of interest and measuring the output level and phase shift relative to the input
* applying a signal with a wide frequency spectrum (for example digitally-generated maximum length sequence noise, or analog filtered white noise equivalent, like pink noise), and calculating the impulse response by deconvolution of this input signal and the output signal of the system.

These typical response measurements can be plotted in two ways: by plotting the magnitude and phase measurements to obtain a Bode plot or by plotting the imaginary part of the frequency response against the real part of the frequency response to obtain a Nyquist plot.

Once a frequency response has been measured (e.g., as an impulse response), providing the system is linear and time-invariant, its characteristic can be approximated with arbitrary accuracy by a digital filter. Similarly, if a system is demonstrated to have a poor frequency response, a digital or analog filter can be applied to the signals prior to their reproduction to compensate for these deficiencies.

Frequency response measurements can be used directly to quantify system performance and design control systems. However, frequency response analysis is not suggested if the system has slow dynamics.>>

Now REPEAT the above steps for each one of the recent questions you have asked. Remember to modify the search info for each question so you don't keep getting the answers to this question.

pixelthis
02-15-2011, 01:57 PM
So I guess you guys are saying this is not serious since you put that pic up. I assume you are saying the opposite of what that pic says. But I guess then that means frequency response and frequency range are the exact same thing just worded differently. I don't really like to assume things though but by showing that pic I can only think that you mean the opposite of what it says about being serious.

I put the pic up because this is serious business.
WHEN I started this "hobby" about 40 years ago, I was obsessed with getting speakers
that were "20 to 20,000 hz". What a waste of time. I bought a pair with soft dome tweeters,
advertising "20 to 20,000 hz", not knowing at the time that there is no way a hundred dollar
(four hundred in todays dollars) set of soft domes would reach 20,000 hz.
CONCENTRATE on good sound, quality construction, tight bass/mid, stuff that
matters. won't hurt if they look good, either.
Because, you see, buying speakers is a serious business. THEY ARE
probably the most important part of your system. MOST NEWBIES (myself included)
go for the unicorn of "202 to 20,000 " HZ, and that is just what computer types call "vaporware". MINE GO TO 15,000 or so and thats fine. To truly hit 20,000 hz would
cost thousands, and you probably couldn't hear it. Bet a KRISPY CREAM
that you couldn't , and here in the south Krispy Creams are a very serious business.:1:

Joe_Carr
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Well someone on a different forums said that they are the same unless the company used it little differently. Well I can tell that my monitors are around +/- 3db between 90hz to 20kHz since basicly anything lower then 90hz it starts to go down. I think some companies use Frequency Range when it's more than +/- 3db but I beleve Roland uses +/ 3db range since if it was like - 10db at 90hz then I can barely hear it at 90hz. But I can clearly hear it with the other frequency. I know that the monitors I have is +/- 3db since that's the standard for alot of speakers. Ever other monitors I have were like that. I think I have to go to the higher end monitors if I want lower than 3db. But people say +/- 3db is flat enough for use in a studio and won't make much difference if it's any lower.

I remember speakers from JBL use frequency range for - 10db and frequency response for +/- 3db. But every company is different. As someone said on another forums that range and reponse are the same thing unless the company uses it differently.

Hyfi
02-16-2011, 05:26 AM
As someone said on another forums that range and reponse are the same thing unless the company uses it differently.

Please go back a few posts and read the results of the google search. Then do one yourself and see how many responses concur with each other. Don't worry about what someone on some other forum said unless you want to go over there and believe everything someone types instead of doing a little research on your own.

Stop worrying about the numbers and go listen to a system you can never afford so you have something to strive for besides a $300 system that you are hoping will be nirvana for you. Numbers do not equal what you hear.

Nasir
02-19-2011, 02:52 PM
I would have to agree with Hyfi. Numbers are prone to creativity, so there is nothing like listening for yourself. Also, something else that is rarely mentioned: our hearing is not linear nor does it cover the audio range of 20Hz to 20kHz for a normal adult. As the years go by, the hearing range drops from the theoretical 20kHz to an astounding 12 to 15 kHz at the top end but not so much at the lower frequency end. The ear is most sensitive around the the 2000 to 3000 Hz band and people have differing sensitivities.... All this gives us our subjective reaction to loudspeakers.

JoeE SP9
02-20-2011, 12:10 PM
A while back when "Joe Carr" was using a different screen name I suggested he go to a local B&M store and hear just what a good system can and does sound like. Just as he ignores most advice he ignored that too.

I just did a quick Google search and turned up 13 different Audio and AV dealers in Omaha. There is no excuse for not using some initiative and actually going to a store. In todays market B&M stores want walk in traffic.