Google Chrome [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

blackraven
02-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I've just downloaded and installed Google Chrome web browser in about 1min. The program opens immediately and it opens web pages super fast compared to IE and FFox. I have not noticed any lag when browsing AR. It may become my default browser.

bobsticks
02-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Hey Blackie,

Very nice...a faster alternative is always welcome. Be mindful, Chrome is particularly susceptable to the Antivira AV virus which is a rather new scourge floatin' 'round these here internets. It's both keylogger and malware that embeds itself into one's browser, command prompts,task manager and program files. Nasty bit of work that...

Peace brother,

--sticks

Woochifer
02-14-2011, 12:36 AM
I still use Firefox. Google Chrome is yet another "free" product that data mines your browsing habits. The more areas they reach into, the more reluctant I am to use their services. Google just aggregates way too much personal information together, and they've shown little to no concern over privacy issues. I still don't have a Gmail account for this very reason.

Feanor
02-14-2011, 04:47 AM
I've tried Chrome a couple of times but deleted it in each case. I can't say I found a much wrong with it but I'm content with IE. I have Firefox installed and use it for some purposes but still mostly mostly IE.

Smokey
02-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I still use Firefox. Google Chrome is yet another "free" product that data mines your browsing habits. The more areas they reach into, the more reluctant I am to use their services. Google just aggregates way too much personal information together, and they've shown little to no concern over privacy issues.

I agree. Google is getting so bad that one can not use its search feature unless you have java script enable on your browser. And pretty soon I bet it require your browser's cookies to be enabled to use their service.

I use Bing.

basite
02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I still use Firefox. Google Chrome is yet another "free" product that data mines your browsing habits. The more areas they reach into, the more reluctant I am to use their services. Google just aggregates way too much personal information together, and they've shown little to no concern over privacy issues. I still don't have a Gmail account for this very reason.

true, but Microsoft does the same thing too.
As does apple.

That said: I came from firefox, after I completely forgot about IE (I never liked it - ever), and moved on to google chrome, and I must say, that it's quite a nice browser. It's fast, it doesn't crash much (never happened here yet), it's pretty safe, same add-ons as firefox are available (including Adblock & adblock plus (a huge reccomendation, btw...).
Also, Google's search service is well integrated, typing half a word in the url bar automatically gives the possible sites you're looking for. And while google's search service is "standard", there is an option too (just a one click change), to use other search engines, including Bing. Google's translate option is also integrated in the browser, which comes in handy too at sometimes.
I also like the "incognito tab", it basically gives you the ability to go "stealth". I primarily use them for sites I don't really trust that much. So far I have no complaints about chrome.

for me it's what a browser should be: light, easy to use, fast, and customiseable.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Woochifer
02-15-2011, 07:15 PM
true, but Microsoft does the same thing too.
As does apple.

Not nearly to the same extent that Google does.

And between the three players, Google collects a lot more user data, and unlike Apple and MS, Google's entire business model is built around advertising and they have very little concern over user privacy (witness the way that they datamined Gmail contacts when launching Google Buzz, or their illegally logged of wireless IP addresses when collecting street view data). At least with Apple and MS, they're trying to sell you an actual product. With Google, you are the product.

kexodusc
02-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Not nearly to the same extent that Google does.

And between the three players, Google collects a lot more user data, and unlike Apple and MS, Google's entire business model is built around advertising and they have very little concern over user privacy (witness the way that they datamined Gmail contacts when launching Google Buzz, or their illegally logged of wireless IP addresses when collecting street view data). At least with Apple and MS, they're trying to sell you an actual product. With Google, you are the product.

Do they use the information to target ads at me based on my viewing habits? Cause last thing I need is a to give a web demo to some clients with some dirty pictures on the side banners....

In all seriousness, I almost wouldn't mind it if they could target me better - I'm gonna get bombarded by ads, often intrusive ones, no matter what site or browser I use. I'd at least like them to be on stuff that interests me.

kexodusc
02-16-2011, 05:16 AM
I've had some issues with Google Chrome working with flash players properly. It's not all the time though, but it happens on my Macbook Pro and my Windows 7 machine at home.

Firefox still has a few issues from time to time as well, but I find it much more reliable. That said, I've used Firefox for years now and can say it was no where near as stable in its early days as Chrome is now.