Speakers not working at low volume settings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers not working at low volume settings

marco1
02-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Hello all,
Wondering if you can help?- Bought a pair of French made JMLab DB 29 speakers (each with 1 Woofer 8.3" – 1 Midrange 8.3" and 1 Tweeter 1.0") about 15 years ago while I was living in France for a while (were about $800 back then). One of the speakers was a bit touchy from the start and remained silent at very quiet volumes until a certain volume was reached, then it would suddenly come on. A bit of a "warm up" and it was fine. Didn't think too much of it at the time. Question is, over time both speakers are doing the same thing, requiring more and more volume to get them to start. Once started, if try to reduce the volume too much they will sometimes (independently, go off intermittently). Have increased the speaker output level in my Denon AVR-1400 amp which helped a bit. Drives my wife crazy and she wonders why I don't throw away my prized speakers and get some cheap discount store versions. Wonder if there is anything I can do? I have some basic electronics experience, but I haven't dismantled them to look inside. …Is my wife right?

E-Stat
02-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Question is, over time both speakers are doing the same thing, requiring more and more volume to get them to start.
Why do you think that the last part of the reproduction chain is the villain? What you describe sounds like a potentiometer operating below its ideal range.

rw

Mash
02-12-2011, 08:14 PM
If your speakers were self-powered with auto-on then you would start by checking your speakers. But I believe your French made JMLab DB 29 speakers are passive- not powered in any way. So the volume pot on your receiver may be worn or dirty. Start with a cleaner spray intended for electronics.

mlsstl
02-12-2011, 08:27 PM
You might consider removing the drivers from the speakers and checking all connections. Many speakers use push-on connectors at both the crossover and where wiring connects to drivers. Corrosion could be causing the problem. This could explain the problem at low volume, but as the voltage increases it can power through crud.

I'd check things at the receiver end first (cleaning volume control, etc.) and also check the condition & connections of the speaker wire first.

marco1
02-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks All.
Cleaned connections (were cruddy) and rewired (passive) speakers. Unfortunately were playing at low volume, but then after a while both go off seperately (without me touching volume). Wierd. Will check with another amp.