Yes - Union - Live [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yes - Union - Live

BarryL
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
The just released Yes Union Live arrived yesterday. If you recall, everybody and their brother was in this band. The official release is 2 CDs and 2 DVDs of concerts.

I've only heard the first CD so far, and the band really kicks ass. There are killer versions of Yours Is No Disgrace, Heart of the Sunrise, Owner of a Lonely Heart, and I've Seen All Good People. It's far from perfect, with two of everything: Anderson, Bruford, Howe, Kaye, Rabin, Squire, Wakeman, and White, but it certainly is high energy Yes, unlike the low key and subdued 35th anniversary tour.

Te band rocks, and it sounds like they're having fun. This is one kick-ass band. I'll have watch the DVD to see if Howe cracks a smile anywhere.

A definite Yes for Yes fans.

ForeverAutumn
02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
If you recall, everybody and their brother was in this band.

We were in Yes? You'd think I'd remember that.

:)

Mr MidFi
02-10-2011, 06:46 AM
We were in Yes? You'd think I'd remember that.

:)

I'm blaming the drugs. For the memory loss, and for the music. :crazy:

BarryL
02-10-2011, 07:28 AM
The second CD isn't as good as the first. At least half the CD is a round-robin of solos - Rabin, Squire, Wakeman. As amazing as the playing is, they are probably more interesting to see visually on the DVD than on the CD.

The three songs, Saving My Heart For You, Awaken, and Roundabout are incredible. It's not too often that you get this much musical talent on one stage playing amazing compositions.

3LB
02-10-2011, 02:01 PM
So have you seen the DVD yet. I was wondering if they had Jimmy Haun behind a curtain or anything when they were doing the Union stuff ;)

I heard from several accounts that this was a great concert to see. Too bad such a gathereing didn't result in an album of decent material. Union (the album) stank IMO.

MasterCylinder
02-16-2011, 05:42 AM
For thirty years -- roughly 1970 to 2000 -- I was a huge YES fan.
I own almost everything they've released and I've seen them play live on approximately 20 occasions................they were, at least in part, my motivation in music school in the 70s..........I was at the first concert that Alan White was an official member and he had to learn all the Bruford licks from Fragile and Close To The Edge............I saw the Relayer tour...........I was at the 1994 TALK tour to see Trevor Rabin and Tony Kaye.........I was at the famous "Bronco Bowl" Dallas, Texas concert in 1997 wherein Billy Sherwood was introduced as an official member and Igor Khoroshev replaced Wakeman.
The final concert I witnessed was at an outdoor venue in Albuquerque and the opening act was Dream Theater.................one of the most memorable was at Mud Island near Memphis.............Jon Anderson could not keep his eyes or his comments away from the famous Pyramid..............they played extremely well that night and followed a fantastic set by Alan Parsons.
But...............time goes on and the King is dead.
I'm not adding more material to my collection, but I totally appreciate the review, Barry.