My open baffles....... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My open baffles.......

Mark111867
02-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Well, I tried to download a pic of my open baffles featuring the Basic Betsy, but couldn't get the pic to download. Anyway, I am enjoying the speakers and they made a great winter project to boot. Thanks to Poultrygeist for his advice.

Mark

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/MarksOpenBaffles.jpg
(added by admin)

atomicAdam
02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
hey mark - did you have trouble with the photo gallery here on audioreview?

I'd love to see a picture - rather than just a couple words teasing about the project.

you can email me the photo - i can post and attach to your post.

atomicAdam
02-08-2011, 08:17 AM
nice -

no tweeter? how is the high end?

Mark111867
02-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi Adam. Thanks for posting the pic. The speaker that I used is a full range driver. The upper end is clean (for lack of a better word) and open. Soundstage is solid. So far so good.

Mash
02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Hmmmmm........ Another baffled audiophile................

bobsticks
02-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Very nice. I'd imagine the fullrange driver lends itself to quickness and coherency though my experience with this type of setup is minimal.

Thanks for sharing; I'd like to read more about your Winterwonderland Projekt...

(O0o*o0O)
02-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Looks like something I would like to sit down to. I'm looking into doing something with either a coaxial or fullrange driver. Nice to see another similar project.

basite
02-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Hi Adam. Thanks for posting the pic. The speaker that I used is a full range driver. The upper end is clean (for lack of a better word) and open. Soundstage is solid. So far so good.

Hi!

what driver did you use? I've always dreamed of getting my hands on a decent Tannoy driver, a pair of Saba greencones made my fingers tinkle too :D

Congrats :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Poultrygeist
02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Mark,

Great job on the Betsy's. It's shocking how good they sound for such a small investment. Below is a link to a high end version of the folding wing OB which I doubt sound any better than your Betsy's.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/roadtour5/roadtour5.html

Poultrygeist
02-09-2011, 04:52 AM
basite,

Living in Belgium, you probably have easier access to the German Visaton B200 full range drivers as used in the Omega prototypes in my link. The Betsy drivers are way cheaper here at around $100 a pair and can usually be found on ebay or at Wildburro Audio ( simple plans are available at this website ).
__________________________________________________ _______________________

For those of you who have never tried OB you owe it to your audio education to experience a pair. You may be in for a shock like I was.

If you're on a tight budget I would say it's impossible to get better sound for the money than the Betsy's paired with a $40 t-amp.

One sheet of plywood from Home Depot costs $40 and they will make all the cuts for free.
It's a no-brainer fun and easy project for some serious sound.

Mark111867
02-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks everyone. If you've ever considered open bafles, this is a pretty inexpensive way of getting them. Putting them together was simple and they sound great. I bought everything except the drivers at Lowes.

Woochifer
02-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Wow! Long time between sightings!

I see that you've been busy. Looks like a great project you've finished up there. So, how about adding three more for a full blown 5.1 setup? :cool:

Mark111867
02-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Wow! Long time between sightings!

I see that you've been busy. Looks like a great project you've finished up there. So, how about adding three more for a full blown 5.1 setup? :cool:

I think that I might be pressing my luck with a 5.1 system, but it ain't a bad idea......:) Listening to Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues and it sounds really good. Hope things are well in San Fran. I bet the weather is a lot nicer there. In the teens here........

Poultrygeist
02-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Mark,

The Betsys sound better pulled out into the room. Moving them out from the wall by at least 3 feet makes a big difference. With OB's your room becomes their box.