headphone (output) built into a receiver or an amplifier [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : headphone (output) built into a receiver or an amplifier

winston
02-07-2011, 09:26 PM
question?? the headphone output that is built into a amplifier or receiver?

"when using an external "dac" analog output to feed a amplifier or receiver with a built in headphone out. (dose the headphone output of the amplifier or receiver gets the same quality signal from the "dac" as the speakers output??) "or is it that some do and some don't if that's the case why?

your thoughts please, cause I need to have a better understanding of this...

Poultrygeist
02-08-2011, 04:41 AM
The guys at Headfi tell me that dedicated headphone amps are vastly superior to headphone outputs on receivers/amps.

Hyfi
02-08-2011, 06:25 AM
The guys at Headfi tell me that dedicated headphone amps are vastly superior to headphone outputs on receivers/amps.

My Hafler 945 has a dedicated Headphone amp built in.

kelsci
02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Winston; I believe that high resistant dropping resistors are used so the audio is taken off the power amplifier output, the same output that would feed your speakers but those resistors reduce that power for headphone use. I remember building a Dynaco SCA-80Q and putting in resistors on the headphone output to do this sort of thing.

For convenience in another room, I use a Fiio E-3 headphone amplifier which I pad 5 bucks for on E-bay. Its power source is a AAA battery of which I keep a recharger handy to change batteries every 10-14 hours. The quality of this little headphone amp is quite good IMHO, comparable in sound to a good auto stereo system.a I use it with a set of headphones that have volume controls so I can balance the audio to my uneven hearing in my ears. Stereo anything sounds quite good on this unit such as movies, music or whatever.

Happy Camper
02-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Dedicated hp amps are vastly better with full sized headphones. Not so much with buds/IEMs. They will benefit but not to the same level as the full sized cans.

If you are running a digital source, a tube amp can sound very natural.

Mr Peabody
02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I was told the headphone jack was a tap off the receiver's preamp. I'm sure a headphone amp would be better but the results from most of the headphone outputs on receivers I've used have been adequate for me. With that being said I'm not a dedicated headphone guy and I do own an X-can. What prompted that though was Krell not offering a headphone jack. Some of today's gear do offering a dedicated headphone amp built in.

Unless the headphone jack circuit some how degraded the signal it would benefit from better source output just as the main power section to the speakers.

winston
02-09-2011, 05:31 PM
I was told the headphone jack was a tap off the receiver's preamp. I'm sure a headphone amp would be better but the results from most of the headphone outputs on receivers I've used have been adequate for me. With that being said I'm not a dedicated headphone guy and I do own an X-can. What prompted that though was Krell not offering a headphone jack. Some of today's gear do offering a dedicated headphone amp built in.

Unless the headphone jack circuit some how degraded the signal it would benefit from better source output just as the main power section to the speakers.
well,well,well a special thanks to you Mr Peabody" I can see that you read:) my post. cause your reply is directly "pertaining to the questions that I'm asking.

cause I have the Emotive XDA-1 coming "which I'm planning to used with one of a few receivers that I have hanging around two of them are (analog receivers) and I love to used them with my cans, they are pretty much adequate when listening to Cd's using the (HP out) so I'm thinking that the XDA-1 should bump up the headroom nicely (thanks to all who replies) I now have the answer that I was looking for.:thumbsup: