Replacing Boston Acoustics A60 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Boston Acoustics A60 speakers

spaceman
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I had some old Boston Acoustics A60 speakers that recently died.
(I realize now I could have fixed them - but it's too late as I gave them away!)
These had an 8" woofer, 1.5" tweeter and nominally covered 55 - 25 kHz (3dB) and were fairly efficient. I'm looking for some replacements that are at least as good. Mainly for stereo listening (many styles of music including classical, rock, jazz).
I'm appreciate any suggestions. Overall sound quality is the main criterion - but I do appreciate a bargain - so discontinued models going cheap are fine!

Thanks very much,

- Henry

JoeE SP9
02-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Welcome to AR.
If you liked your old BA's why not look for some other BA's on your local CL?

Woochifer
02-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Not a whole lot of options out there if you're looking to replicate that "Boston sound." Even Boston's current speakers don't have that sound anymore.

I still have a pair of A40s and always loved the Boston A series (particularly the top-of-the-line widebodied A400). I recall that A60 used a sealed acoustic suspension design with a soft dome tweeter. Most speakers nowadays are ported with metal dome tweeters.

One intriguing option for you might be the SVS SBS-02, which is a 6" sealed bookshelf speaker with a 1" silk dome tweeter. It's only available by mail order, but it has been very well reviewed if you want to look it up.

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

The only major manufacturer that I know for sure still makes acoustic suspension bookshelf speakers is NHT. So you might want to look there as well.

badhabit67
03-02-2011, 02:11 PM
spaceman: welcome.
theres a lot of choices out there,but if you liked the boston sound you would most likely enjoy some KLH 6,17,23's and there fairly easy to scrounge up.Polk Monitor series would be a good choice also,5,7,10's there a nice sounding speaker. Or as another member said watch cl for another pair of A-60's. Good Luck on your hunt....