HD Radio: Worth It?... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD Radio: Worth It?...

swan24
02-07-2011, 08:39 AM
I would like to start a thread on people's opinion of HD [Hybrid Digital] radio, particularly component HD tuners... I recently ordered a Sangean HDT-1X component HD tuner... It is due to arrive today, but I still have some trepidation over purchasing it...

Any and all comments/opinions would be welcome... (m.)

Mash
02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Did you check this out?

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-HDT-1X-Radio-Component-Tuner/product-reviews/B000R8KVJ0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I usually focus on the "more negative" reviews, and if they are minor I consider it "positive".

I do not think that our local public radio stations offer HD yet........... they have not mentioned it.

swan24
02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Did you check this out?

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-HDT-1X-Radio-Component-Tuner/product-reviews/B000R8KVJ0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I usually focus on the "more negative" reviews, and if they are minor I consider it "positive".

I do not think that our local public radio stations offer HD yet........... they have not mentioned it.

Yep, I read those... You get a real mix on there... It seems like the people in good areas for HD radio reception gave favorable reviews... And those who were in fringe areas, gave so-so to bad reviews...

And the best tuner reviews seem to come from people who have dedicated outdoor FM antennas... No big surprise there...

I did call my local public radio station, and they have HD 1 and HD 2, and I spoke directly with the broadcast engineer, who seemed like a real nice guy... He didn't try to overpromote HD, and gave me some good advice on antennas...

The tuner just came in, but I'm waiting for the indoor antenna... Here's what I chose to use: http://godarusa.com/id67.html

Comes highly recommended... I'll give a performance report in a few days, after I've had the thing up and running for awhile... (m.)

Mash
02-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Best Buy offers (offered?) an HD tuner for $100 but the people there knew very little about it.

The difference between analogue & digital is that with digital it is all or nothing. So I can appreciate the antenna requirements. HD Radio IS interesting.

I am still using a FanFare. Even with a "3 out of 5" signal it is clear.

swan24
02-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Best Buy offers (offered?) an HD tuner for $100 but the people there knew very little about it.

The difference between analogue & digital is that with digital it is all or nothing. So I can appreciate the antenna requirements. HD Radio IS interesting.

I am still using a FanFare. Even with a "3 out of 5" signal it is clear.

Thanks for your replies... The Sangean unit looks OK, but not exactly built like a tank, if you know what I mean... We'll have to see how it performs... One feature I like is the HD defeat... That way if you're on the border line, you can default to regular multiplex FM... HD FM comes in on the sidebands at the same call numbers of any station that carries the HD signals... The engineer at the station has the earlier Sangean unit, and he says it does the job well... Of course, they probably have an in-house feeder on it... How could it not?... (m.)

Mr Peabody
02-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I like the quiet background of HD. The sound quality isn't all it's said to be though but I think most of that is to do with stations using mp3 on a hard drive versus the old days when they actually spun a disc or LP. The variety and no commercials is a plus.

Woochifer
02-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I know that ClearChannel in particular has really promoted HD Radio, and as far as I can tell, most of their stations use the HD Radio channels. But, it has less to do with sound quality and more to do with the multicasting feature.

Basically, they want to use HD Radio to broaden the range of programming that they can broadcast. Instead of one signal beaming out over an AM/FM signal, now they can broadcast four different feeds. If more people adopt HD Radio, then it props up the value of their stations, since it keeps listeners from defecting over to satellite radio or iPod docks.

Generally, an outboard tuner will have a better signal range than what comes with most receivers. Nowadays, the tuner inside a receiver is more of an afterthought (unless they use HD Radio).

Poultrygeist
02-08-2011, 04:29 AM
In my system the Insignia HD from BB replaced a vintage Sansui Tuner which I sold on ebay for three times the price of the Insignia. No comparison between the sound of these two.

My wife gave me an Insignia HD arm band radio for Christmas and it never drifts or has any static when I'm jogging. Stupid good radio.

swan24
02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Well, I've got it all hooked up with the new antenna... My first impression?... It sounds very clean, and the signal capture is very good... CD quality?... Mmmmm, no... But very good for a tuner... Probably the best I've heard outside of a Magnum Dynalab set-up... The seperation is very good, maybe even over-accentuated... The highs, a little pushed... Not too much bottom end, really...

Prompts a story: When I was selling HI FI back in the mid 70's, we got two Sequerra tuners in to sell... One of them, I think, went unsold... But the other, I sold to a Wall St. type who bought it sight unseen... I don't think he was the type of guy who could hear the difference, really... He bought it to show his friends after he got his X-mas bonus...

Anyway, even back then, it went for a princely sum... I think it was over $3500.00 at a discount... Yikes... For a tuner... That would be at least twice that much in today's dollars... Some engineers say that you can get CD quality sound from a tuner... I haven't heard it yet, but I'm still waiting... I'll let you know... In the mean time, I'm happy with the Sangean... (m.)

swan24
02-10-2011, 03:12 PM
As a sidebar, I'd like to add something here... and that would be that you could simply use your computer with one of these: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/images/Purist-IM.jpg

...and get a left/right streaming FM radio station from the internet into your home HI FI system that way... Most computer CPUs have two output TRS mini-plug jacks... All you would have to do is have your stereo some reasonable distance from your computer, and run the cable...

Anyone ever tried this?... Sound quality?... (m.)

Poultrygeist
02-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Streaming FM beats FM tuners. Sold my Sansui TU-517 after buying the Insignia HD. But the former FM jazz station in Charlotte changed formats just in time for me to return the Insignia to BB. Would have kept it if FM jazz was still available.

I've recently picked up a Martel/Rotel tube receiver for $75 ( pictures in my gallery ) which has one sweet sounding tuner. It's got nine tubes in the tuner section.