Worst half-time show ever? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Worst half-time show ever?

Swish
02-06-2011, 08:13 PM
The Black Eyed Peas don't impress me one iota. It was a great day because the Steelers lost, but I really wish the host had muted the half-time show. It was an embarrassment.

(O0o*o0O)
02-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Worse then when you saw Micheal Jackson's nipple?

Swish
02-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Worse then when you saw Micheal Jackson's nipple?

Now that was funny.

recoveryone
02-06-2011, 08:46 PM
I believe it was Janet Jackson, not Micheal

And to me it was more of the sound mixer dude that could not get the mic's settings correct, I seen better audio board work at a elementary school play. I could see it this was a impromptu deal, but all of this is rehearsed and choreograph in a state of the art stadium, just poor craftsmanship.

JohnMichael
02-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Oh I loved the half time show and ignored the game. Love the Black Eyed Peas and Usher.

(O0o*o0O)
02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I missed the whole damn thing rocking out and smoking some deliciousness. If that was the line up I thank god I missed it. When are they going to pick up Lords of Acid or My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult or even Bile?

3LB
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
It was par for the course.

Christina Aguilera flubbing the National Anthem was worse. I don't really care that much about the national anthem and am not that put-off that anyone flubs it, but the fact that it makes a pop star look bad, and pop music in general look bad, that I am pleased it happened - cuz I'm a hater and I revel in the misery of those I dislike.

Rae
02-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Yeah, that was teh suck.

~Rae

jonnyhambone
02-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Since when did Kirstie Alley join the Black Eyed Peas?!

MasterCylinder
02-07-2011, 04:53 AM
Christina, Black-Eyed Peas and my internal meat thermometer all sucked.
Had a gorgeous 6-pound block of NY strip steak cook to medium-well because the readings were wrong............dammit !

Swish
02-07-2011, 05:33 AM
It was par for the course.

Christina Aguilera flubbing the National Anthem was worse. I don't really care that much about the national anthem and am not that put-off that anyone flubs it, but the fact that it makes a pop star look bad, and pop music in general look bad, that I am pleased it happened - cuz I'm a hater and I revel in the misery of those I dislike.

I can't quite remember where she flubbed it, but according to something I found on the net..."When she was supposed to sing the line "O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming," she instead repeated an earlier line, with a slight variation.

She sang, "What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last reaming," repeating and mangling an earlier lyric, with the word 'watched' instead of 'hailed' and 'reaming' instead of 'gleaming.'"

ForeverAutumn
02-07-2011, 06:49 AM
I didn't watch the game or the halftime show, but I did see Aguilera sing the anthem.

(start rant) I didn't notice the lyric flub, but I HATE it when people turn the National Anthem into a vocal exercise. First of all, it completely f*cks it up for people who want to sing along. Secondly, this is about respecting your country, it's not about YOU. Take your ego a step backwards and just sing the song as it's meant to be sung. I don't care how mundane you may think it is. This is not your audition for American Idol. Just shut up and sing. (end rant)

I also read that the flyby over the stadium was completely lost as it was a closed stadium and no one could see it.

Stone
02-07-2011, 06:58 AM
(start rant) I didn't notice the lyric flub, but I HATE it when people turn the National Anthem into a vocal exercise. First of all, it completely f*cks it up for people who want to sing along. Secondly, this is about respecting your country, it's not about YOU. Take your ego a step backwards and just sing the song as it's meant to be sung. I don't care how mundane you may think it is. This is not your audition for American Idol. Just shut up and sing. (end rant)

I am so with you on that. Every time someone does that, I want to yell "Maybe you should sing from the damn sheet music so it sounds like the actual song!!!"

bobsticks
02-07-2011, 07:32 AM
And to me it was more of the sound mixer dude that could not get the mic's settings correct, I seen better audio board work at a elementary school play. I could see it this was a impromptu deal, but all of this is rehearsed and choreograph in a state of the art stadium, just poor craftsmanship.

Yes. That was some of the worst mixing I've ever heard in any scenario, any situation...ever. Painful, in fact...I'm by no means a BEP fanboy but they're clearly more polished than that debacle would indicate. The driving elements of the music were conspicuously absent as the drums and keys were buried so far in the mix. As a featured perormer, Slash must have wondered why he even showed up.

I hope he trashed the green room afterwards.

I missed the whole damn thing rocking out and smoking some deliciousness. If that was the line up I thank god I missed it. When are they going to pick up Lords of Acid or My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult or even Bile?

Ja, Lacey Connor would make Fergie look like Margaret Thatcher.

Amen. This is not an isolated incident, as I'm sure you know and there is a long history with a rogue's gallery of offenders with dubious talent. I blame Boys To Men.

Swish
02-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Oh I loved the half time show and ignored the game. Love the Black Eyed Peas and Usher.

...but I have an issue with the entire 'performance'. It just seems to me it's making up for a lack of something else, meaning musical talent. What was the purpose of Usher jumping over someone and doing a split on stage? Are they trying to turn it into Cirque Du Soleil? 'Oooh, look at that! Usher just did a split on stage!". Sorry, I don't get it.

I realize there's always going to be a certain level of stage theatrics, but I found it especially annoying and the music not so good.

Hyfi
02-07-2011, 07:45 AM
I didn't watch the game or the halftime show, but I did see Aguilera sing the anthem.

I also read that the flyby over the stadium was completely lost as it was a closed stadium and no one could see it.

Good Rant and I totally agree.

Basically, I have a problem with all the money spent on this one event while people in our country are starving to death and living in the streets.

I think the Fly Overs are such a ridiculous waste of tax payer money as well as all the jet fuel.

On the other hand, it does open up the business for Hookers as there was an estimated 10,000 of them there for the week.

GMichael
02-07-2011, 07:46 AM
I couldn't stand more than a few seconds of the half-time show before changing to the billiards match on ESPN. It was a repeat of last week but it was still more enjoyable to me.
As far as Christina. She has a great voice. I get that. but does she have to show off to the point that I can hardly tell that it was our national anthem? Just sing the song as intended. No one will bash you for not 'making it your own.' You know why? Cause it's the freakin' national anthem. Just sing it as written please. Show off your pipes some other time.

Mr MidFi
02-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Take your ego a step backwards and just sing the song as it's meant to be sung. I don't care how mundane you may think it is. This is not your audition for American Idol. Just shut up and sing.

That was my reaction as well. I've had about enough of these exhibitions of vocal gymnastics and urban yodeling.

She even said "thank you" at the end, like it was a concert or something. That was clueless as hell.

MasterCylinder
02-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Just sing the song as intended. No one will bash you for not 'making it your own.' You know why? Cause it's the freakin' national anthem. Just sing it as written please. Show off your pipes some other time.

Christina :
I don't need all that embroidry; just give me the shirt.
And what's this about a reamin" ?

nobody
02-07-2011, 08:56 AM
I've got nothing against the Black Eyed Peas, but yeah, that show was crap. I agree lots of the blame goes to the bad sound mixing. maybe it sounded better on site, but considering the massive TV audience, it would have made sense to pay attention to how it would sound at home.

I found the Slash cameo and their doing Sweet Child of Mine just kinda silly. I'm not exactly sure what made that seem like a good idea.

Oh...and did anyone else think of the old Devo plastic pompadours when they saw Will.i.am's metal hair?

3LB
02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
the only solution is to ditch the halftime extravaganza. I know that won't happen, but they keep trying and they keep falling short. First off, trying to put on these elaborate shows is a logistical nightmare. Too many things that can go wrong with such a short set-up time. No one comes off very well, whether its the Peas, The Who, Prince, whoever. All we get are medleys and microphone dropouts and musicians looking frantic. Time to shovel some dirt on the halftime show.

And don't let FOX host the SB any more. As failed as Aguilera and the BEPs were, they weren't as sappy and tacky as FOX's pregame schlock. None of it, I mean none of it, has any place in this game.

Swish
02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
...robots? They're so annoying! And Joe Buck? Please. He's not as bad as Brent Musberger, but not by much. Who thinks those two have talent? Seriously.

ForeverAutumn
02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
The only reason that I would watch anything football related is for a glimpse of Howie Long. I want to have his children. :ihih:

Actually... he can keep the kids.

Stone
02-07-2011, 01:26 PM
...robots? They're so annoying! And Joe Buck? Please. He's not as bad as Brent Musberger, but not by much. Who thinks those two have talent? Seriously.

Joe Buck is lucky he's partnered with Aikman.

Slosh
02-07-2011, 02:18 PM
They should have Greenbay and Pittsburg high school marching bands join together and play the national anthem. No singing. Halftime should be the normal 15 minutes. No show whatsoever. Announce the HOF inductees at halftime if you have to have something on the field while everyone else is taking a piss.

GMichael
02-07-2011, 02:46 PM
The only reason that I would watch anything football related is for a glimpse of Howie Long. I want to have his children. :ihih:

Just looking for the practice?

3LB
02-07-2011, 09:52 PM
The only reason that I would watch anything football related is for a glimpse of Howie Long. I want to have his children.
That guy? What a ham. He approaches his job as commentator like he's playing the lead in a martial arts movie. He's lucky he shares a desk with Terry Bradshaw, so he isn't the biggest rube on that set.

Who does his kid play for now?

3LB
02-07-2011, 10:06 PM
And Joe Buck? Please. He's not as bad as Brent Musberger, but not by much. Who thinks those two have talent? Seriously.
I like Musberger. But yeah, Joe Buck, I mean, JOE BUCK, HAS THIS GUY EVER HEARD OF THE TERM 'INFLECTION' HE NEVER CHANGES PITCH TONE OR VOLUME HE SOUNDS LIKE HE IS DOING VOICE-OVER FOR AN OLD FOLKS HOME.

Woochifer
02-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, that Super Bowl halftime show was so bad that I'm almost ready to take back every nasty thing I ever said about Up With People! (almost)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z4mTTigqTSA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z4mTTigqTSA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

They should have Greenbay and Pittsburg high school marching bands join together and play the national anthem. No singing. Halftime should be the normal 15 minutes. No show whatsoever. Announce the HOF inductees at halftime if you have to have something on the field while everyone else is taking a piss.

That was my thinking as well. I mean, the first few Super Bowl halftime shows consisted of college marching bands. Why not go retro and return to that?

Close to Green Bay, you got the University of Wisconsin, which has an incredible marching band (I've seen them perform before, they are amazing). And they play Lambeau Field regularly.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yoVpsF54tXg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yoVpsF54tXg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

With Pittsburgh, you could setup a battle of the bands by inviting the Penn State band (another great band).

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1yWlbFEEuE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1yWlbFEEuE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Or since the game was in Texas, invite the University of Texas and/or the Texas A&M band. Can't be much worse than the parade of washed up pop stars and AARP rockers we've been getting.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hqr0nmugDNk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hqr0nmugDNk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ForeverAutumn
02-08-2011, 06:29 AM
That guy? What a ham. He approaches his job as commentator like he's playing the lead in a martial arts movie. He's lucky he shares a desk with Terry Bradshaw, so he isn't the biggest rube on that set.

Who does his kid play for now?

What your point? ;)

Swish
02-08-2011, 07:09 AM
I like Musberger.

He truly annoys me, and pretty much everyone else I know. Oh well, you're entitle to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is. :biggrin5:

JohnMichael
02-08-2011, 07:22 AM

And if he has any energy left I would not mind being tackled.

I enjoyed the show because I thought there were some creative visuals. I am easily entertained if there is singing and dancing. I was just glad Usher's protege the Bieb did not show up. Oh and I loved Fergie's crystal covered shoulder pads.

Worf101
02-08-2011, 07:32 AM
I'll take the Black Eyed Peas over "Up With People" and the East Shippingburg State Marching Chicknuggets anyday. Do you remember what halftime shows used to be like? OMG. This was practically a godsend. Carefull what you wish for, you just might get it.

Worf

GMichael
02-08-2011, 08:28 AM
I'll take the Black Eyed Peas over "Up With People" and the East Shippingburg State Marching Chicknuggets anyday. Do you remember what halftime shows used to be like? OMG. This was practically a godsend. Carefull what you wish for, you just might get it.

Worf

Not for nothing, but I'd rather watch a blank screen in silence than what was on this year. There has got to be some kind of middle ground between old-has-beens and slam-it-in-your-face-no-tallents. How about the flying Wallinda brothers?

GMichael
02-08-2011, 08:31 AM
And if he has any energy left I would not mind being tackled.

I enjoyed the show because I thought there were some creative visuals. I am easily entertained if there is singing and dancing. I was just glad Usher's protege the Bieb did not show up. Oh and I loved Fergie's crystal covered shoulder pads.

You two are gonna make him blush..:blush2:

I will say that the visuals were cool. I couldn't stand the singing though. Thank the man for picture-in-picture and/or split screen.

bobsticks
02-08-2011, 08:53 AM
. There has got to be some kind of middle ground between old-has-beens and slam-it-in-your-face-no-tallents...

How about Gary Glitter and Shaun Cassidy doing a duet of "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" with Stryper as the backing band?

...wait a minnut...

GMichael
02-08-2011, 10:33 AM
How about Gary Glitter and Shaun Cassidy doing a duet of "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" with Stryper as the backing band?

...wait a minnut...

How about Marsha Brady and David Jones singing the National anthem while covered in honey and chocolate sprinkles?

bobsticks
02-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Honestly...if you remove Jones from the picture you're getting into childhood fantasy territory...:D

GMichael
02-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Honestly...if you remove Jones from the picture you're getting into childhood fantasy territory...:D
I was trying to keep FA and JM interested.

Finch Platte
02-08-2011, 10:50 AM
I can't quite remember where she flubbed it, but according to something I found on the net..."When she was supposed to sing the line "O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming," she instead repeated an earlier line, with a slight variation.

She sang, "What so proudly we watched at the twilight's last reaming," repeating and mangling an earlier lyric, with the word 'watched' instead of 'hailed' and 'reaming' instead of 'gleaming.'"

And apparently, she's been singing it since she was a little girl.

Didn't bother me- I didn't even notice, and I think that's worse! :p

JohnMichael
02-08-2011, 10:54 AM

I am all for the removal of Marsha Brady. Of course I have not seen Davey Jones in years. I might be happy with just the honey and chocolate sprinkles.

GMichael
02-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I am all for the removal of Marsha Brady. Of course I have not seen Davey Jones in years. I might be happy with just the honey and chocolate sprinkles.
I saw Davey last summer. He was at Epcott Center.

He's a daydream believer you know.:15:

ForeverAutumn
02-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Childhood? :skep:

JohnMichael
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I saw Davey last summer. He was at Epcott Center.

He's a daydream believer you know.:15:

Maybe we can have Ricky Martin do a half time show?

bobsticks
02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Childhood? :skep:

Yup...I didn't catch the Bradys until the repeats years later...plus Maureen Mac didn't age particularly well...rough times, rough times and all that...

...but I'm readin' yer mail FAlalagiirl. :ciappa:

Woochifer
02-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Worf

Hey, I'm good with Black Eyed Peas, but I'm NOT good with that atrocity that I witnessed on Sunday!

The current state of Super Bowl halftimes is already a "be careful for what you wish for" scenario, since I am old enough to remember laughing my arse off during those wretched Up With People shows. I was thinking PLEASE make this stop ... ANYTHING but more of this! Boy, was that dumb of me to think that nothing else could approach that level on the craptacular scale, because the more recent shows are getting painfully close.

I think half the problem is that most pop music acts don't scale well to a big football stadium, especially with a set that has to be setup and taken down in a few minutes. And then you give these bands only 12 minutes of actual playing time, and they wind up playing a truncated mess of medleys.

Given that we had Green Bay versus Pittsburgh playing in Big D, going back to the college marching bands would have given you a pretty decent selection of world class groups to choose from. Or you could go Drumline and bring in a show-style band like the Florida A&M Marching 100 (they're actually more than 400 strong), and match them with a big name rap artist.

Couldn't be worse, can it? Maybe I should stop asking ... :aureola: