Thin Lizzy guitarist Moore dies at 58 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thin Lizzy guitarist Moore dies at 58

Luvin Da Blues
02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
My world is sadder today....

'Bandmates say Gary Moore, guitarist with influential Irish rock band Thin Lizzy, has died. He was 58.

Singer and guitarist Gary Moore, was found dead Sunday in a hotel in Spain. He was 58 Manager Adam Parsons told the BBC that Moore was found dead Sunday at a hotel in Spain.

Drummer Brian Downey said Moore's death was a "total shock."

Born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, Moore was a member of Dublin band Skid Row before joining Thin Lizzy in 1973. He left after four months but rejoined four years later and played on the band's Black Rosealbum.

He later had a successful solo career, and his accomplished, bluesy playing won plaudits from other musicians.'

No indication yet on the cause of death.

Mr Peabody
02-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I've got a couple Gary Moore solo albums, as well as Black Rose, but his solo material didn't get the recognition it should have. I really like the solo albums and found him to be an excellent guitarist.

Luvin Da Blues
02-07-2011, 06:16 AM
I've got a couple Gary Moore solo albums, as well as Black Rose, but his solo material didn't get the recognition it should have. I really like the solo albums and found him to be an excellent guitarist.

Ya, his solo efforts can be quite good especially his blues numbers. His Rock songs are better than most also.

I have his "Still Got The Blues" , "Close As You Get" and his greatest hits package "Platinum" which is broken down in two CDs. CD 1 is the Rock tunes and CD 2 has his Blues best.

I know "Black Rose" well but don't own a copy (yet).

RIP

bobsticks
02-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Lotta blues in that ther white boy...he will be missed.

Mr Peabody
02-07-2011, 07:36 PM
What's up Bobsticks? I thought about you the other day a guy on local CL trying to sell some panels for the SL3's. I wonder why he just has new panels but stranger things happen I guess.

Mr Peabody
02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Oh, I have the CD Victims of the Future. One other on vinyl I can't remember the name. I will have to dig that out for a spin this weekend.

bobsticks
02-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Hey hey Mr. P.,

Victims of the Future ain't bad in that 80's rock way...I've got a copy of Still Got the Blues on DVD-A which is outstanding and certainly more traditional fare.

Peace,
M

ForeverAutumn
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM

I was driving home from work listening to one of the satellite stations last night and they played a few Gary Moore songs in a row...I was floored...killer stuff...but didn't know who Gary Moore was. I went into the house and asked Hubby, "ever hear of a musician named Gary Moore?" and he responded that it was the Thin Lizzy guitarist who had just died. Wow, what an awesome guitarist!

I'm going to have to order some CDs. Which ones?

Luvin Da Blues
02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
I was driving home from work listening to one of the satellite stations last night and they played a few Gary Moore songs in a row...I was floored...killer stuff...but didn't know who Gary Moore was. I went into the house and asked Hubby, "ever hear of a musician named Gary Moore?" and he responded that it was the Thin Lizzy guitarist who had just died. Wow, what an awesome guitarist!

I'm going to have to order some CDs. Which ones?

I would start with his greatest hits album "Platinum" to get a taste of his talent. Very good SQ also. All the ones listed here (but I haven't listened to Victims of the Future) would be great too.

Mr Peabody
02-08-2011, 05:37 PM
There's a couple great tracks I like on Victims of the Future but it's not normally one I will put on and listen to all the way through. I really don't know the catalog well enough to give a good rec.

badhabit67
02-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Horrible loss of a Person,and of a Talent......
This was one of my favorites:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3-TgDjcBL0&feature=related

Rock on In Peace Gary