Hello, and some thoughts: [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and some thoughts:

swan24
02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
I just got an e-mail prompting me to join this forum, and I figured, what the heck... I am classical pianist and old school recordist (Revox A-77 and Schoeps mics)... I own a pair of [kit] rear horn loaded speakers and an SET int. amp... I am not a technical whizz, but I know good sound, and have worked in HI FI in NYC in the 70's... I am 60 yrs. old, but my ears are as good as new... Maybe better... I just modded them this morning with the latest upgrade... Q-tip 1.1... (m.)

Nasir
02-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Welcome!!
Pardon me, but I just have to ask you to explain as best as you can, how a piano is supposed to sound " live " as you play it? Basically, is it supposed to sound big or full or that sort sort of thing. I am asking for your personal perception so that we can try to relate to it when we hear the recordings.....
As for my neighbors, no musical instruments, in the whole building, with my system making much of the audio pollution ( translated directly).

JoeE SP9
02-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Welcome to AR swan24. As a classical pianist and recordist you probably have a different perspective on reproduced sound than others. I look forward to your input.

swan24
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Welcome!!
Pardon me, but I just have to ask you to explain as best as you can, how a piano is supposed to sound " live " as you play it? Basically, is it supposed to sound big or full or that sort sort of thing. I am asking for your personal perception so that we can try to relate to it when we hear the recordings.....
As for my neighbors, no musical instruments, in the whole building, with my system making much of the audio pollution ( translated directly).

Hello: I would say, on the whole, it is an enveloping experience... But there is a certain amount of compression of sound being that close to an instrument... Most instruments sound better with some air between the instrument and the listener... Particularly with good room acoustics...

Then there is the fact that you are trying to play things right, and you are working on a different level than just listening... So, listening to a good recording of, let's say, a piano, sounds different to me than playing... Usually, different in a better way... You can sit back, and really enjoy, without worrying about getting a note wrong... (m.)

swan24
02-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Welcome to AR swan24. As a classical pianist and recordist you probably have a different perspective on reproduced sound than others. I look forward to your input.

Thank you... I look forward to reading, and hopefully responding to posts here... I do like to listen to good HI FI equipment... I always seem to crave that 'control room' sound... That is, very crisp and uncolored... To me, if a sound system can't do a disappearing act, it is not too much to my liking... The reference should always be the live performance, no?... (m.)

swan24
02-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Huh... I just noticed that it says I am a member since Apr. 2003... For the life of me, I can't recall ever posting here... Well, stranger things have happened... (m.)

JoeE SP9
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I agree on both points.
The reference should be live un-amplified music.
The speakers should do a disappearing act.

Guests routinely stand in front of or lean on one of my ESL's and ask, 'Where's the music coming from?". They think they're some kind of screen or room divider.

swan24
02-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I agree on both points.
The reference should be live un-amplified music.
The speakers should do a disappearing act.

Guests routinely stand in front of or lean on one of my ESL's and ask, 'Where's the music coming from?". They think they're some kind of screen or room divider.

Oh, yes, they are very good speakers... Heard them before... They do tend to leave one wondering just where the sound is emanating from... Notice you have transmission-line sub-woofers, is that right?... I love T-line sound... Very uncolored and unfettered bass extension... When I was in NYC selling HI FI, I met Bud Fried... He was a great guy, and very knowledgeable... Unfortunately, he passed away a few years back... (m.)

JohnMichael
02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Welcome swan24!

As a lover of but uneducated in classical music I always like recommendations of music to broaden my interests. I think your interest and talent in music and interest in audio will be an asset to the group.

swan24
02-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Welcome swan24!

As a lover of but uneducated in classical music I always like recommendations of music to broaden my interests. I think your interest and talent in music and interest in audio will be an asset to the group.

Try getting on eBay and looking into modern classical or modern chamber music... It really sounds great on good equipment... The sparseness of the instrumentation, and the innovative ways they use percussion are a revelation on good equipment... That's what I'm listening to lately... And the prices are great, I think because a lot of people simply are not buying the stuff... But it really knocks me out... The musicality of it...

thekid
02-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Huh... I just noticed that it says I am a member since Apr. 2003... For the life of me, I can't recall ever posting here... Well, stranger things have happened... (m.)

Well welcome back.....

Like John M I listen to and appreciate classical music though I I am uneducated as well and could not tell you I listening to the 4th movement of whatever but I do live by the following saying.... If it ain't Baroque don't mix it......... :D

swan24
02-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Well welcome back.....

Like John M I listen to and appreciate classical music though I I am uneducated as well and could not tell you I listening to the 4th movement of whatever but I do live by the following saying.... If it ain't Baroque don't mix it......... :D

I'd bet that joke was on Franz' list... (m.)