The White Stripes call it quits. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The White Stripes call it quits.

Swish
02-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I was never a big fan and grew a little bored of the limited instrumentation. They were fun though.

ForeverAutumn
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
No big loss IMO. They had a couple of songs that I liked, but overall I thought they were way over-rated.

Rae
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
You guys are crazy. The White Stripes were great in their time. It's just 5 years or so past their time, is all.

~Rae

3LB
02-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Maybe there won't be any more White Stripes, but it was all Jack anyway. He can replace Meg with, well, anyone. It was a fun, minimalist aesthetic for a while, but the schtick went on for one or two albums too many. Great videos. Great individual songs even if the albums were long in the tooth.

Swish
02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Maybe there won't be any more White Stripes, but it was all Jack anyway. He can replace Meg with, well, anyone. It was a fun, minimalist aesthetic for a while, but the schtick went on for one or two albums too many. Great videos. Great individual songs even if the albums were long in the tooth.

I mean, she isn't all that talented, is she? And what's she going to do without Jack? I'm guessing she'll fade into the background and we won't be hearing much about her again.

Rae
02-03-2011, 12:09 PM
You guys are crazy.

Geez, I think only Ringo takes more flak than Meg for being an untalented drummer. Her primitive style was at least half of the winning aesthetic of the group! We've had this endless debate about "talent" and proficiency before but I'll say again that I think her drumming has more personality than a thousand AOR drummers with "chops". If we never hear from her again, I think it will have a lot more to do with her obvious discomfort with celebrity than anything to do with her musicianship.

~Rae

kexodusc
02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
No big loss IMO. They had a couple of songs that I liked, but overall I thought they were way over-rated.
Ditto. I tried really hard to like them, but the didn't have much that interested me. Boring.
Lotsa people loved them though.

Maybe Meg White is DT's new drummer? :eek6:

Stone
02-03-2011, 12:16 PM
I think Ringo's drumming fit perfectly too, for what it's worth.

ForeverAutumn
02-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Maybe Meg White is DT's new drummer? :eek6:

And maybe Portnoy will team up with Jack White.

:D

atomicAdam
02-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I spun my one White Stripes vinyl in remembrance.

I found the music pretty good overall - but you had to play it on the right system, at least of me.

And yes, Meg's drumming isn't amazing, but it completely fit the style or music they were going for and for that she, jack, and the producers should get credit instead of bashes.

Troy
02-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah, maybe if Jack opens up his limited aesthetic by working with other, more varied musicians that push him to broaden his horizons, he will make some music that interests me . . .

Rae
02-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Maybe you mean he should start a band with an unabashed Todd Rundgren worshipper like Brendan Benson! Or collaborate with traditional country legends like Loretta Lynn and Wanda Jackson! Or work with an R&B singer like Alicia Keys! Or appear in a movie with guitarists who play in different styles like The Edge or Jimmy Page! Or play in a band with members of Queens of the Stone Age! Or record with Danger Mouse! Or curate releases by bands as varied as Dungen, Dexter Romweber, Nobunny, First Aid Kit, or the Drive-By Truckers! Oh, the places Jack White will go when he broadens his horizons!

~Rae

Stone
02-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I can't wait until he sounds like ELP.

Troy
02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Maybe you mean he should start a band with an unabashed Todd Rundgren worshipper like Brendan Benson! Or collaborate with traditional country legends like Loretta Lynn and Wanda Jackson! Or work with an R&B singer like Alicia Keys! Or appear in a movie with guitarists who play in different styles like The Edge or Jimmy Page! Or play in a band with members of Queens of the Stone Age! Or record with Danger Mouse! Or curate releases by bands as varied as Dungen, Dexter Romweber, Nobunny, First Aid Kit, or the Drive-By Truckers! Oh, the places Jack White will go when he broadens his horizons!

~Rae

LOL, yeah, I'd like to see him do something that I give a **** about. I mean doing things like working with Rundgren instead of a Rundgren worshiper. Loretta Lynn, Wanda Jackson, Alicia Keys? Sounds less interesting to me than The White Stripes. Curating releases? WTF does that mean?

He was like a child among men in that doc with Page/Edge. And I have no idea what that has to do with "expanding his aesthetic."

Troy
02-04-2011, 11:35 AM
I can't wait until he sounds like ELP.

Me too, oh wait, you're just being a jerk!

Rae
02-04-2011, 01:13 PM
LOL, yeah, I'd like to see him do something that I give a **** about.

Ah, see, I knew that's what you meant. I'm just giving you a hard time, obviously-- you know you're still my favorite curmudgeon.

He was like a child among men in that doc with Page/Edge. And I have no idea what that has to do with "expanding his aesthetic."

Full disclosure is that I didn't actually watch it, but c'mon, the whole thing was purportedly them sitting around playing off each other and shooting the ****. You don't think he learned a thing or two?

Curating releases? WTF does that mean?

Through his Third Man record label. He's tracked down obscure contemporary artists and dug up forgotten acts to try to get them a little attention and has proven to have pretty eclectic tastes. Some of them, including the aforementioned Ms. Jackson, have actually gone on to record new stuff that he produces and also perform with him.

~Rae

Troy
02-04-2011, 01:41 PM
That's the spirit Rae.

I don't like the industry implying that Jack is somehow the heir apparent for being the next Page/Edge by appearing in that movie with them. He's not in their league.

My experience with the White Stripes has been pretty disappointing. The albums I've heard never connected with me because they lacked conviction and originality, I just never bought into the mystique. Their appearance in the media and movies has been nothing more than "look how cool we are" posing. You should see them in "Coffee and Cigarrettes." Just wow.

Maybe you'd feel differently about him if you saw either of those movies.

I have no idea what people really relate to in White's music, except maybe familiarity. And fashion, because they really seem into their whole style thing.

So what's he gonna do now? Start a new band? Become a media mogul? Go surfing?

Rae
02-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Aw, I love their scene in Coffee & Cigarettes. And I like the White Stripes, especially their first three records. But you don't have to!

~Rae

Troy
02-04-2011, 01:57 PM
And I like the White Stripes, especially their first three records. But you don't have to!

~Rae

Yeah, the world is neat that way.

(O0o*o0O)
02-04-2011, 05:08 PM
They are still young and in good health. I'm still mourning the death of Lux Interior of the Cramps.

nobody
02-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm a pretty big White Stripes fan, and I think they were a big key in kick starting the little garage rock revival for a while and that was right up my alley so I enjoyed that. I also think they did show quite a lot of originality with the two person format and making the most of it and branching out and creating a good variety of material from a lmited amount of raw material. Sure, others have done two person things to some extent over the years, but they really did it better than others in my estimation and brought a good energy to it.

Musically, I do like White's guitar playing and as sacrilegious as it is, I'd rather listen to them with Jack's guitar than Zepplin and Page's stuff anyway...which as much **** as he's gotten for ripping off the blues, I cant see how he gets such a pass for being an original while White gets ****. And yeah, I'm a big believer that Meg's drumming was perfect for their sound. Not every drummer should be Neil Peart. and Meg's style fit perfectly with the music. I'm not sure what more you could ask, really. I tend to think these arguments about musicianship really boil down to if you like how it sounds, you think they are good musicians and if you don't you pick it apart and find them lacking.

Also, if you listen to their progression, each album had it's own character from the straight up garage rock on the debut to a stripped back bluesy sound on De Stijl, to something much poppier on White Blood Cells and then more ornate work on the later albums. They were not at all doing the same thing over and over.

I did pretty much figure they were done anyway since Jack was doing so much other stuff and they'd not done anything for a while so it's not surprising. But, I do think The White Stripes was the best of Jack White. His work with other bands outside The White Stripes has been OK for me, but has done more in my opinion to show how much better his work was in the White Stripes format. Expanding and working with a full band and such seems more to push him into a traditional guitar player role and keeps him from being as expansive and engaging as he was with The White Stripes. In his case, I really do think it showed that less can be more.

So yeah, I'll miss them, even if it was pretty obvious they were done and this was just a formality.

Swish
02-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Geez, I think only Ringo takes more flak than Meg for being an untalented drummer. Her primitive style was at least half of the winning aesthetic of the group! We've had this endless debate about "talent" and proficiency before but I'll say again that I think her drumming has more personality than a thousand AOR drummers with "chops". If we never hear from her again, I think it will have a lot more to do with her obvious discomfort with celebrity than anything to do with her musicianship.

~Rae

...just that there a ton of good drummers out there. The White Stripes were all about Jack. He wrote the songs and...well, you know. He could have done the same with a gazillion others, and I'm just saying I don't know that there's anyone who will be knocking down her door to get her to join their band. I could be wrong.

bobsticks
02-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Just a guess but I wouldn't be suprised to see Meg join up for the How To Destroy an Angel tour...

http://blog.bretagne-balades.com/public/images/mai/how_destroy_an_angel.jpg