Off Topic -- Blu Ray question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic -- Blu Ray question

MasterCylinder
02-01-2011, 06:14 AM
I bought a new Blu Ray transfer of APOCALYPSE NOW and my player is transmitting video but not audio......................my BD player is not talking to my Denon 5.1 AV machine for this specific disc. The DVD default is 7.1DD....................there is a 5.1 option but I can't get it accepted.
I had a similar problem with another DVD and got the BD player to send stereo PCM........the Denon accepts that.

Any thoughts on how to get the AV machine and the BD player talking to each other ???

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2011, 06:25 AM
You may want to re-post this in the Home Theatre forum. There are some very knowledgable people there who may be able to help but may not see this post in RR as they don't visit here.

MasterCylinder
02-01-2011, 07:39 AM
You may want to re-post this in the Home Theatre forum. There are some very knowledgable people there who may be able to help but may not see this post in RR as they don't visit here.

Did that too...........thanks.

Jim Clark
02-01-2011, 07:57 AM
I'd double check your disc and make sure it's really DD. I know the 2 disc special edition version is 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Not knowing your gear and comfort level with getting HD audio to the Denon, I'm just guessing here.

First off you say you have a 5.1 Denon receiver. That being the case, it's not gonna do audio over HDMI, your gonna need to hook up the blu ray via 5.1 outputs on the BRP to the 5.1 inputs on the Denon. Of course in order for that to work it's going to need to have decoders built in to the Blu Ray Player, I don't think most do. Again, I don't know your gear, your hookup, or what version of the flick you have. I'm pretty sure there are a number of Blu Ray editions of this movie.

I know I use preouts to get HD audio from my Oppo BRP to my Arcam preamp with no problem. Just need to select the 7.1 inputs on the preamp instead of DVD.

Again, just a stab in the dark.

jc

MasterCylinder
02-01-2011, 08:01 AM
I'd double check your disc and make sure it's really DD. I know the 2 disc special edition version is 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Not knowing your gear and comfort level with getting HD audio to the Denon, I'm just guessing here.

First off you say you have a 5.1 Denon receiver. That being the case, it's not gonna do audio over HDMI, your gonna need to hook up the blu ray via 5.1 outputs on the BRP to the 5.1 inputs on the Denon. Of course in order for that to work it's going to need to have decoders built in to the Blu Ray Player, I don't think most do. Again, I don't know your gear, your hookup, or what version of the flick you have. I'm pretty sure there are a number of Blu Ray editions of this movie.

Again, just a stab in the dark.

jc

Thanks, Jim :
I'm running coax to the Denon for audio.
The title of DVD I bought is reflected below............

Apocalypse Now (Three-Disc Full Disclosure Edition) (Apocalypse Now / Apocalypse Now Redux / Hearts of Darkness) [Blu-ray]

Jim Clark
02-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks, Jim :
I'm running coax to the Denon for audio.
The title of DVD I bought is reflected below............

Apocalypse Now (Three-Disc Full Disclosure Edition) (Apocalypse Now / Apocalypse Now Redux / Hearts of Darkness) [Blu-ray]

Well, then that's your problem ' cuz according to the website I just looked at the movie is DTS HD Master. You aren't going to be able to pass DTS HD Master Audio via coax. In order for you to hear the audio you are going to need either a receiver capable of decoding the audio hooked up via HDMI or a BRP capable of decoding the audio and passing it along via 5.1 outputs to the Denon. Not aware of any other way of making it happen.

jc

MasterCylinder
02-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Well, then that's your problem ' cuz according to the website I just looked at the movie is DTS HD Master. You aren't going to be able to pass DTS HD Master Audio via coax. In order for you to hear the audio you are going to need either a receiver capable of decoding the audio hooked up via HDMI or a BRP capable of decoding the audio and passing it along via 5.1 outputs to the Denon. Not aware of any other way of making it happen.

jc

One of the replies over at the Home Theater forum suggests a setting on the BRP to send "bit stream" to the AV............I'll likely wind up with 5-channel stereo.........it will lose some dynamics but will be better than nothing.
Thanks for helping............

Jim Clark
02-01-2011, 09:02 AM
FWIW, it's worth it to upgrade one or the other component to get the HD audio streams at some point down the road, especially if you're going to keep investing in Blu Ray.

Glad you got an answer, enjoy your movie.

Regards,
jc

MasterCylinder
02-01-2011, 10:33 AM
FWIW, it's worth it to upgrade one or the other component to get the HD audio streams at some point down the road, especially if you're going to keep investing in Blu Ray.

Glad you got an answer, enjoy your movie.

Regards,
jc

Thank you jc.....................I actually love the Denon 5-channel stereo (very powerful) so, if I can get that, I'll be good. I listen to all my CDs that way and was one of the reasons I went with Denon in the first place.

Woochifer
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM

jc

Actually, a DTS HD audio track gets automatically downsampled to a lossy 1.5k DTS track for coax/optical audio output. It is fully compatible with older 5.1 equipment, and 1.5k DTS is double the bitrate of the 756k DTS tracks typically used with DVDs. Sir T has indicated before that in an A/B comparison 1.5k DTS sounds virtually transparent to the original master, so the downsampled DTS track would provide minimal loss in audio quality compared to the DTS HD track.

MasterCylinder
02-02-2011, 05:40 AM
Actually, a DTS HD audio track gets automatically downsampled to a lossy 1.5k DTS track for coax/optical audio output. It is fully compatible with older 5.1 equipment, and 1.5k DTS is double the bitrate of the 756k DTS tracks typically used with DVDs. Sir T has indicated before that in an A/B comparison 1.5k DTS sounds virtually transparent to the original master, so the downsampled DTS track would provide minimal loss in audio quality compared to the DTS HD track.

OK -- so put that in layman's English and tell me what to look for in my "audio setup" section of my (Blu Ray player) manual so I can watch the DVD with my old Denon.

Great pics, BTW.

MasterCylinder
02-03-2011, 05:12 AM
Thanks to all that helped..............got it working last night.
SONY calls it "DTS Downmix"..........sends it to the DENON as a 2.0 stereo or a Pro Logic option..........from that the DENON will provide the 5-channel stereo.........it sounds great..........watched the first half last night.
The scene with Robert Duval and AIR CAV was awesome.