New ortho headphones HE-6 & LCD-2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New ortho headphones HE-6 & LCD-2

Happy Camper
01-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Wow!

I've been having a love affair with these fine headphones. I was able to get a three week trial with the LCD-2 and was hooked. The first thing that boxes your ears is the quality and quantity of bass from a headphone. Both of these headphones are currently the best out there and many have compared their latest and are selling the HD 800, T-1, PS 1000, HD 650, AKG 701, RS-1, etc.

The LCD-2 are an electronic music lover's dream. Deep, hard bass, fast response, crisp highs. The HE-6 seem to be drawing the jazz & classical fan with sweeter highs and a bit larger soundstage. Bass is the second best I've heard from a headphone (not heard the L3000, R-10, HE-90). Not as in your face as the LCD-2, more balanced across the spectrum. I have the HE-6 wired to a speaker amp and am giddy over the performance. All detail is revealed at low volumes. When listening to a headphone, fatigue sets in unless you find the balance of detail retrieval and volume. The HE-6 gives better low volume performance.

Anyone thinking about getting into a high end headphone and have a speaker amp to drive them, both will impress even the high end speaker fan.

atomicAdam
01-31-2011, 05:46 PM
your making me so jealous. I really need to save up for those cans.

Ajani
02-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback... Those 2 cans really seem to be causing a hell of a stir with can enthusiasts... At $1K they are expensive (for cans), but not utterly ridiculous like other cans from major manufacturers are aiming to be...

Poultrygeist
02-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Interesting to hear about the ortho's. I'm just getting my toes wet with a pair of Grado SR125i's to see if cans are a good direction for me.

I'm using a Topping T-amp as a phone amp but I have the Audio GD NFB-12 DAC/HP amp on order.

The featherweight Grado's sure beat my uncomfortable Koss Pro4A's that I had back in the day but those ortho's are in another league.

Ajani, I've read that the 701's are hard to drive but with the right amp they're outstanding.

Do we have enough interest to start a section for headphones?

Ajani
02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Ajani, I've read that the 701's are hard to drive but with the right amp they're outstanding.

Yes, they are... Many people don't know, but the DAC1 has a very good headphone amp, with lots of power... So I find it does a good job the K701s... However, Having had them for a few years, I'd love to hear the next level...

Do we have enough interest to start a section for headphones?

I think we may have enough interest now... Cans are arguably the fastest growing area in HiFi... It's an excellent way for younger persons to get into HiFi without breaking the bank... and is an easy way for existing audiophiles to create a 2nd system...

Happy Camper
02-02-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm infatuated with them now but I've been wanting a headphone system with the sound quality of my speakers (M-L stats) with a bit more weight without the dbs. I think I've found them in the HE-6 with a tube amp. Last investment will be a DAC w/volume that converts USB to I2S at the DAC and I'll be ready for retirement.

I've had a rig set up around the K-701 & RS-1 for 5 years but I seriously can't go back to listening to them. I'll keep the RS-1 with the Ipod/Xin amp at hotels but the HE-6 has home covered.

I feel that for the young student, they can set up a rig around headphones while on campus and be ready for speakers when space allows. For the money spent, headphones are the best value for high fidelity. I'm comparing my headphones to a $15k speaker rig and am satisfied I'm not missing anything (well soundstage).

I've never heard my old rock collection sound so good and the new stuff.......