Favorite Westerns [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Westerns

luckydoggoldminer
01-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Many people like westerns . Few are made today. They cover a time in american history that we all seem to enjoy watching. My favorite being THE SEARCHERS. I met John Wayne when i was a kid and always enjoyed his movies. I would like to read about fellow audio fans who like westerns!

Mr Peabody
01-30-2011, 08:46 PM
I like Westerns a lot. For modern day have you seen Apaloosa? I really liked it. As to my favorites, here are some from my movie collection:
You can't go wrong with John Wayne, I have the Searchers, Rio Bravo, Dean Martin is great in that as well, Big Jake and True Grit. I wouldn't mind adding The Shootist.
I love The Outlaw Josie Wales, and, High Plains Drifter, which adding the thriller element makes this a stand out movie. I could see me adding Hang 'em High some day or Joe Kidd.
Silverado
Riding With The Devil, another very good modern Western
I haven't bought American Outlaw yet but enjoyed it a lot, again modern.
I grew up watching Westerns with my dad and there are many I like but don't remember the names of them. Seems like Westerns aren't on today like back then. Oh man..... who can forget Shane? Remember the Bronson Western with the Samurai? You had to get me started :)

Troy
01-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Deadwood. It's got the whole package, the best western ever.

Outlaw Josie Wales
Jeremiah Johnson
Unforgiven
Little Big Man

The Coen Brothers remake of True Grit is excellent, far better than the Glen Campbell version. Might be my favorite movie of 2010.

luckydoggoldminer
01-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Another great set of Westerns to look to watch are the 1950s james stewart movies. NIGHT PASSAGE,WINCHESTER SEVETY THREE, and such. He was a master at good guy verses bad guy acting. The newer 3:10 TO YUMA is well made. I tend to like old western music or movie sound tracks. sons of the pioneers, tex ritter, marty robbins. Native american music and james horner sound tracks are good too. i also like the beatles and moody blues. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR BEST MOVIES

bobsticks
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
....http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2krw1WPuu1qbawnwo3_400.jpg

luvtolisten
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I'll be your 'Huckleberry"-Tombstone. Not a Val Kilmer fan, but he was good in this one.

Smokey
03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
James Garner said that he still receive royalty from this 1969 film. Very fun movie.

http://www.dvdnear.com/images/Support-Your-Local-Sheriff-B000056H2F-L.jpg

3LB
03-09-2011, 11:32 AM
The Cowboys - great coming of age story. A clumsy premise (teenage boys in a cattle drive) is made plausible with great script and direction. Sure, most of the kids are inexperienced at acting, but their "deer in the headlights" look works for the task at hand, and gels towards the end of a perfectly paced movie.

The adults in the movie are pitch-perfect. John Wayne once again epitomizes old west justice and integrity. Its the same role he always played, but it was also a recurring character in westerns and no one played it better. Roscoe Lee Brown, with his jazz-tinged, thespian staccato entact, might seem out of place but with such a pivotal role, they needed to cast someone who could hold their own w/ Wayne and Brown does just that. Then there's the most loathable villain in film history, Bruce Dern, who conveys more menace with a parting glare than a page of dialog could. Its the only time the bad guy has ever put Wayne in a palpable sense of danger (in a movie) to my recollection. I saw this as a kid, the conclusion of the showdown twix Wayne and Dern made me shudder.

Feanor
03-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Westerns have been getting better -- i.e. on average, given fewer have been made in recent years. Or is this just my impression?

Anyway, some of my favorites over the years have been:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948; is it a western? Yes!)
High Noon (1952)
A Fist Full of Dollars (1964)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968; more spaghetti please!)
Little Big Man (1970)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller, (1971; Julie Christie = so hot back in the day)
Dances with Wolves, (1990; damn right I liked it)
Unforgiven (1992)
True Grit (2010; 'way better than the orignal)

Jack in Wilmington
03-09-2011, 05:43 PM
The Cowboys - great coming of age story. A clumsy premise (teenage boys in a cattle drive) is made plausible with great script and direction. Sure, most of the kids are inexperienced at acting, but their "deer in the headlights" look works for the task at hand, and gels towards the end of a perfectly paced movie.

The adults in the movie are pitch-perfect. John Wayne once again epitomizes old west justice and integrity. Its the same role he always played, but it was also a recurring character in westerns and no one played it better. Roscoe Lee Brown, with his jazz-tinged, thespian staccato entact, might seem out of place but with such a pivotal role, they needed to cast someone who could hold their own w/ Wayne and Brown does just that. Then there's the most loathable villain in film history, Bruce Dern, who conveys more menace with a parting glare than a page of dialog could. Its the only time the bad guy has ever put Wayne in a palpable sense of danger (in a movie) to my recollection. I saw this as a kid, the conclusion of the showdown twix Wayne and Dern made me shudder.

If you remember Bruce Dern plays a great bad guy in "Hang Em High" with Clint Eastwood. Which segways me to one of my all time favorites "The Good The Bad and The Ugly"
Also a couple of lighter films "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Maverick.

3LB
03-09-2011, 07:08 PM
If you remember Bruce Dern plays a great bad guy in "Hang Em High" with Clint Eastwood. Which segways me to one of my all time favorites "The Good The Bad and The Ugly"
Also a couple of lighter films "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Maverick.

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid is definitely in my top 3. I didn't really like the Maverick movie. I did like the remake of The Quick & The Dead, even though I got kinda sick of Sharon Stone a long time ago.

badhabit67
03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
There was so many good ones; but here's my list...

1. Highnoon
2. The man who shot Liberty Valance
3. Rio Bravo
4. Fort Apache (John Ford)
5. The War Wagon

So many more,could name a bunch.

Poultrygeist
03-11-2011, 04:01 AM
Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch"

dean_martin
03-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968; more spaghetti please!)

Yes^^