New Toy: VPI HW-19 Mk4 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Toy: VPI HW-19 Mk4

jrhymeammo
01-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Took me about an hour to unpack and 30 minutes to setup.
The dusk cover arrived cracked. It's too bad because the seller packed it extremely well.

Anyhow, the turntable sounds very liquid.
I've moved all of gear to the back of the room awhile back, so feedback is not an issue.
Not sure how much the platter weights but it feels like it weighs more than my Technics.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/VPI_HW-19_Mk4.JPG

I may call in sick tomorrow.:ihih:

Have Fun,
JRA

02audionoob
01-30-2011, 05:53 PM
I like those. What prompted this move?

JohnMichael
01-30-2011, 06:07 PM
An SME arm, I am impressed. Would love to hear it. You are right I need another turntable. Is it the AT 440 mounted in the tonearm? Beautiful!

jrhymeammo
01-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I like those. What prompted this move?

Lack of emotion from the Technics.
Don't get me wrong I still love the Technics for rock solid sound but I felt that I need to go with a suspended turntable to create fluid sound.
I'm still keeping one of my SL-1200s to collect dust.

JRA

Jack in Wilmington
01-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Very, very nice. Like Noob said, did we miss that you were looking at an upgrade to your analog side? I did. My Music Hall dealer is also a VPI dealer and he was really hitting me with the hard sell for a Scout. Give us some more details when you can tear yourself away from that beautiful piece of equipment. Congrats.

jrhymeammo
01-30-2011, 06:27 PM
An SME arm, I am impressed. Would love to hear it. You are right I need another turntable. Is it the AT 440 mounted in the tonearm? Beautiful!

I've had the SME for a while on my Technics SL-1200mk2.
When I found the original Mk4 with SME mount, I didn't hestitate to grab one.
I'm still keeping the stock SL-1210mk5G for future mods. But I think the SME looks better on this TT. You have a great arm so if I was in your position, I would spend your entire budget on a TT with Rega mount.
I really like the AT 440mla. It tracks nicely. I don't really hear the problematic surface noise everyone talks about. I have a LOMC on its way, but I may just keep the AT on for a while.

Have Fun,
JRA

jrhymeammo
01-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Very, very nice. Like Noob said, did we miss that you were looking at an upgrade to your analog side? I did. My Music Hall dealer is also a VPI dealer and he was really hitting me with the hard sell for a Scout. Give us some more details when you can tear yourself away from that beautiful piece of equipment. Congrats.

Thanks.
I've been eyeing the Mk4 for a while, but I've never pulled the trigger fast enough.
It gets grabbed pretty fast. It was a hard decision though. I couldn't decide between the AVID Volvere, Acoustics Solid Challenger, and Pro-Ject RM10.1. With money saved over mentioned 3, I decided to get a LOMC and phono preamp from Audiogon. I think I did good.

Does your dealer have the original Scout or the new Scout with an aluminum platter and tapered tonearm? I have yet to hear the Scout2 and I really wanted to get it over the Mk4, but I felt I needed a suspended TT since I already have non-suspended decks. We always need something different, you know? Sounds like your dealer isn't pushing you hard enough...:biggrin5:

Thanks again,
JRA

Luvin Da Blues
01-31-2011, 01:57 AM

I really like the AT 440mla. It tracks nicely. I don't really hear the problematic surface noise everyone talks about. I have a LOMC on its way, but I may just keep the AT on for a while.

Have Fun,
JRA

Congrats on the new table JR. I've always wanted a VPI. This one looks like it's in very nice condition, too bad 'bout the lid.

The 440 is a fantastic tracking cartridge, I've yet to hear any break up on anything I've thrown at it. As far as the surface noise goes, I don't hear any excess or exaggerated noise levels on mine.

Jack in Wilmington
01-31-2011, 03:16 AM
Thanks.
I've been eyeing the Mk4 for a while, but I've never pulled the trigger fast enough.
It gets grabbed pretty fast. It was a hard decision though. I couldn't decide between the AVID Volvere, Acoustics Solid Challenger, and Pro-Ject RM10.1. With money saved over mentioned 3, I decided to get a LOMC and phono preamp from Audiogon. I think I did good.

Does your dealer have the original Scout or the new Scout with an aluminum platter and tapered tonearm? I have yet to hear the Scout2 and I really wanted to get it over the Mk4, but I felt I needed a suspended TT since I already have non-suspended decks. We always need something different, you know? Sounds like your dealer isn't pushing you hard enough...:biggrin5:

Thanks again,
JRA

He had an original setup in one room, but it was heavily moded out. He's good, because he always takes your old stuff back in trade. Are you going to get another dust cover?

frenchmon
01-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Nice JRA....I think I would be calling off work as well. She sure is a looker. I betcha she sounds just as nice. So whats the rest of your setup now? And what kinda cables do you use with your TT?

frenchmon

jrhymeammo
01-31-2011, 09:42 AM
The 440 is a fantastic tracking cartridge, I've yet to hear any break up on anything I've thrown at it. As far as the surface noise goes, I don't hear any excess or exaggerated noise levels on mine.

It really is a good cartridge. You can grab one for not much more than $100, so I think it's one of the best value in audio. I don't have to worry about LP condition and still get excellent sound. Unplayable LP is different, but unplayed LP is just a waste, you know?

Thanks,
JRA

jrhymeammo
01-31-2011, 09:44 AM
He had an original setup in one room, but it was heavily moded out. He's good, because he always takes your old stuff back in trade. Are you going to get another dust cover?

The shipper will be working with FedEx to recover the cost. I hope he'll be able to work on it promptly. The replacement seems to be around $160 from VPI. I may just get one before they discontinue the item.

JRA

jrhymeammo
01-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Nice JRA....I think I would be calling off work as well. She sure is a looker. I betcha she sounds just as nice. So whats the rest of your setup now? And what kinda cables do you use with your TT?

frenchmon

Hey Frenchie,
I'm using the orignal VDH 501 cable supplied with the SME.
It offers nice RFI/EMI shield and great connection.
I've thought about getting a pair of Furutech AG-12, but the VDH works just fine so I think it'll stick with it.

Here is my current gear from my profile.

Speakers
*Tyler Acoustics Linbrook II
*Modded Magnepan MMG

Preamp/Amps
*Sonic Euphoria PLC
*Legend Audio Design Linestage
*Tim Rawson Aleph5 Monoblocks
*Mr. Liang KT88 Integrated Amp

Phono Preamp
*VTL TP-2.5
*Hagerman Cornet 2 w. heavy mods.
*ISOkinetik B1
*K&K Premium MC Step-Up (LL1931)

Analog Source
*VPI HW-19 Mk4
*SME 309
*Technics SL-1200 mk2 with SME mount
*Technics SL-12105G (Stock)
*Edmund Optics M6 Sorbothane Feet
*Composite Products Anti-Vibration CF-2010

Cartridges
*Benz Micro L2
*Lyra Clavis
*Transfiguration Temper Supreme
*Denon DL-110
*Audio Technica 440MLa
*Shure M97E

Digital Source
*Marantz SA-8001
*ISOkinetik B1

Power Conditioner
*Versalab Wood Blocks (Phono Pre and CDP)

Headphone Setup
*Audio Technica ATH-AD1000
*G3 Phenix OTL Headphone Amp
*Aune Mini USB DAC Headphone Amp
*Audio gd NFB-12

jrhymeammo
01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm playing some hard hitting hiphop right now, and the depth of bass and its control is excellent. I basically got this TT to play Jazz and Classical, but it doesn't seem to be picky on musical genres. I'll post a review once my initial excitement wears off.

Have Fun,
JRA

poppachubby
01-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Wow, nice toy!! Damn it looks nice. Welcome to "Club Suspended" where Analog Ave. ends. Just sell the 1200 cuz you won't be going back to that sound for critical listening, i can promise you. A good idea would be to set up the 1200 as part of a ripping chain, into a comp or laptop.

I would suggest doing some close listening around your weight. A familiar LP with it on and off. Most suspended designers frown on weights. If you must have it, make sure you level the suspension WITH the weight ON.

I am a bit envious, but only a bit. Hey nice SACD player...:cryin:

02audionoob
01-31-2011, 09:41 PM
This sweetheart of a turntable is officially the Analog Room's big news to beat for 2011.

hifitommy
02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
mmmmmmmm tasty! i had an hwIII/sme IV for a while. had it been with your arm, i would still have it. i DO prefer a removable headshell so i can easily swap headshells/carts. when i played kraftwerk's 'autobahn' on it, i finally GOT the record. that is i more appreciated it as prior to that i had found it only lukewarm as compared to say-electric cafe. with the vpi it became more vital.

i see the ring, is it the ttweights or vpi ? i might be on the hunt for a good mc for affordable money were i you. this is an arm that would get the most from a mc. an oc9, or as john elison just stated on AA, his denon DL-S1 from comet supply (the price is super!, its just been a long wait for him as with others who may have gone another route by now). the sme will however extract the best a 440 can deliver.

http://www.cometsupply.com/pm/DNNDLS1/

its not that i dont like the 440, i was one of the first users, but that denon would be a real step up.

jack-if the scout isnt significantly less than the classic, i might suggest the classic but its not my money.

Jack in Wilmington
02-01-2011, 04:22 PM
mmmmmmmm tasty! i had an hwIII/sme IV for a while. had it been with your arm, i would still have it. i DO prefer a removable headshell so i can easily swap headshells/carts. when i played kraftwerk's 'autobahn' on it, i finally GOT the record. that is i more appreciated it as prior to that i had found it only lukewarm as compared to say-electric cafe. with the vpi it became more vital.

i see the ring, is it the ttweights or vpi ? i might be on the hunt for a good mc for affordable money were i you. this is an arm that would get the most from a mc. an oc9, or as john elison just stated on AA, his denon DL-S1 from comet supply (the price is super!, its just been a long wait for him as with others who may have gone another route by now). the sme will however extract the best a 440 can deliver.

http://www.cometsupply.com/pm/DNNDLS1/

its not that i dont like the 440, i was one of the first users, but that denon would be a real step up.

jack-if the scout isnt significantly less than the classic, i might suggest the classic but its not my money.

He had a demo Classic that he was trying to get me to bite on for $1900. It had a Shelter 201 cart mounted on it. I wasn't familar with the cart, so I passed. The Scout was $1800 and he was going to throw in either a Dynavector or Grado cart and I don't remember the models.

jrhymeammo
02-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys,

Poppa - Where the analogue avenue ends? In this hobby? I hope not but I can assure you I got a huge smile. That's a great advise on added weight on suspended designs. I don't always use the periphery ring or clamper/weights.
I only use it when I need to. Plus the platter weighs +/- 20lbs so I'm not too concerned about added 500grams. I'm will be selling the Technics I used, but I'll be hanging on to the Mk5G.

Noob,
Thanks man. I'm interested in getting sorbothane isolator, SAMA, and some brass cones, but I think I'll just enjoy the deck as is. Do you have experience with one of the HW-19s?

Tommy,
I bet the SME VI was one hell on an arm. But as you stated, what sold me on the 309 was the removable headshell. I'm sure the arm's rigidity has been sacrificed a bit, but I doubt I'll ever be able to tell the difference.
As for the cartridge, I think the AT works just fine. It doesn't have the air LOMC offers, but considering the cost, I think this is a compromise I can easily live with.
But I do prefer LOMC over MM carts. I got a NOS Benz Micro L2 on its way, but currently snowed in at Branson MO. I hope to have it by next weekend. Even if it doesn't work out, I still have 2 other LOMC to play with.

Have fun,
JRA

02audionoob
02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Noob,
Thanks man. I'm interested in getting sorbothane isolator, SAMA, and some brass cones, but I think I'll just enjoy the deck as is. Do you have experience with one of the HW-19s?

Just an admirer. I toyed with the idea of buying one with no arm when I was shopping for my current turntable. I still look whenever I see an ad for one.

frenchmon
02-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Wow, nice toy!! Damn it looks nice. Welcome to "Club Suspended" where Analog Ave. ends. Just sell the 1200 cuz you won't be going back to that sound for critical listening, i can promise you. A good idea would be to set up the 1200 as part of a ripping chain, into a comp or laptop.

I would suggest doing some close listening around your weight. A familiar LP with it on and off. Most suspended designers frown on weights. If you must have it, make sure you level the suspension WITH the weight ON.

I am a bit envious, but only a bit. Hey nice SACD player...:cryin:

what do you mean critical listening??? That ends after you decided that was what you where looking for...after that its all just pleasurable music...being moved by the tunes...

frenchmon
03-03-2011, 06:31 AM
The dusk cover arrived cracked. It's too bad because the seller packed it extremely well.

I've moved all of gear to the back of the room awhile back, so feedback is not an issue.
Not sure how much the platter weights but it feels like it weighs more than my Technics.

Have Fun,
JRA

Just thought I'd bump this to the top...it's so purty!

bobsticks
03-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Hot damn, holy shizzle...Jayra got a new toy! I don't know how I missed this thread but nice work my friend. That looks like a splendid purveyor of black wax...

jrhymeammo
03-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Thanks MAYN!!

jrhymeammo
03-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Hey Frenchie,
What's the status on your MMF-7.1? A curious mind wants to know.

thekid
03-05-2011, 08:32 AM
That VPI is a sweeeet looking TT.
Congratulations!!!

frenchmon
03-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Hey Frenchie,
What's the status on your MMF-7.1? A curious mind wants to know

Oh its still in the works...paying cash to my dealer so I have a few more green backs to give him. Shhhhhh. ma ma doesn't know. She cant see why I want to upgrade from the table she bought me last years.

Been really thinking about a cart. I have a 2M Red and I love it. My dealer can also get me a deal on the 2M Black or Bronze...great review.... or a Dynavector 10x5...wha-cha think?

02audionoob
03-05-2011, 10:53 AM
I think the 10X5 ought to be nice on a MMF-7.1, but is it going to come with an Eroica? That's a nice cartridge.

frenchmon
03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I think the 10X5 ought to be nice on a MMF-7.1, but is it going to come with an Eroica? That's a nice cartridge.

im not sure...I thought he said it was, but im to afraid to call him and ask seeing he is giving me the table for $900. He might then say..."thats to much of a deal" :nonod:

jrhymeammo
03-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Hey Frenchie,

If it doesn't come with the EroicaH, I can send you my Denon DL-110 LOMC.
Moving from MM to HOMC might be the most rewarding musical experience you'll have. The DL-110 is far from neutral but it's one of my all time favorites.
I'll say it has 100~200 hrs on it(it's my 2nd one).

hifitommy
03-05-2011, 01:36 PM
"Tommy,
I bet the SME VI was one hell on an arm. But as you stated, what sold me on the 309 was the removable headshell. I'm sure the arm's rigidity has been sacrificed a bit, but I doubt I'll ever be able to tell the difference."

oh yeah, it was a great sounding tt/arm combo. ihe diff between that and the 309 is miniscule. its optimal to have a one piece arm/shell but the convenience and pleasure of having the detachable shell is much more to my needs. if only for inspecting the stylus, its a major advantage.

i know the BENZs are well spoken of but i qould be more inclined to get an ortofon Kb or current equivalent. it has a ruby cantilever and was my friend's fave and he even had a jubilee.

enjoy.

frenchmon
03-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Hey Frenchie,

If it doesn't come with the EroicaH, I can send you my Denon DL-110 LOMC.
Moving from MM to HOMC might be the most rewarding musical experience you'll have. The DL-110 is far from neutral but it's one of my all time favorites.
I'll say it has 100~200 hrs on it(it's my 2nd one).

That sounds good jrhymeammo.

I was at my dealers today and he has the new Bel Canto outfit...amp preamp DAC. The DAC has a analog input. Bel Canto is solid state that sounds like tubes...very nice. I would love to get my hands on that DAC. He also had a mm-f 5.1 set up that had a Goldring cart on it. He played a album and it sounded sweet....that cart sounded really good. My dealer works out of his house...he closed his doors to his store years ago and sells out of his home so over head is really low. My dealer is in his 70's....nice guy too. He said he has the 7.1 down stairs still in the box so I wonder if the cart is on it. He had the Bel Canto driving the new Golden Ear Triton speakers...very nice. So he takes me in the back room and shows me his personal TT that he is thinking about selling that he has owned for years...Its a VPI HW-19 MkIII with a SME arm that he says sold for about $2000 alone back in the day. It looks just like yours...all but the arm that is silver. The TT was a little dusty but its just like the one in your picture. I asked him if he will let that go for $900 and he said he does not know...he would have to look and see what they are selling for these days. I think he was just being nice to me and did not want to say "hell no!". If he did I would be very surprised. He has a tone of stuff down in his basement and I can purchase any of it without charging anything which is a good thing for me. I hate bills.

jrhymeammo
03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
That sounds good jrhymeammo.

I was at my dealers today and he has the new Bel Canto outfit...amp preamp DAC. The DAC has a analog input. Bel Canto is solid state that sounds like tubes...very nice. I would love to get my hands on that DAC. He also had a mm-f 5.1 set up that had a Goldring cart on it. He played a album and it sounded sweet....that cart sounded really good. My dealer works out of his house...he closed his doors to his store years ago and sells out of his home so over head is really low. My dealer is in his 70's....nice guy too. He said he has the 7.1 down stairs still in the box so I wonder if the cart is on it. He had the Bel Canto driving the new Golden Ear Triton speakers...very nice. So he takes me in the back room and shows me his personal TT that he is thinking about selling that he has owned for years...Its a VPI HW-19 MkIII with a SME arm that he says sold for about $2000 alone back in the day. It looks just like yours...all but the arm that is silver. The TT was a little dusty but its just like the one in your picture. I asked him if he will let that go for $900 and he said he does not know...he would have to look and see what they are selling for these days. I think he was just being nice to me and did not want to say "hell no!". If he did I would be very surprised. He has a tone of stuff down in his basement and I can purchase any of it without charging anything which is a good thing for me. I hate bills.

The silver SME should be the VI. Very expensive and that's the one Tommy used to have. I think the VI has much better bearing than my 309, and as Tommy stated, I think the other difference is in the headshell. If you can score it for $900, it would be a score of the millenium!!!

Just send me a PM when you get a TT. I'll send you the Denon for a trial.

JRA

jrhymeammo
03-09-2011, 08:02 PM
"Tommy,
I bet the SME VI was one hell on an arm. But as you stated, what sold me on the 309 was the removable headshell. I'm sure the arm's rigidity has been sacrificed a bit, but I doubt I'll ever be able to tell the difference."

oh yeah, it was a great sounding tt/arm combo. ihe diff between that and the 309 is miniscule. its optimal to have a one piece arm/shell but the convenience and pleasure of having the detachable shell is much more to my needs. if only for inspecting the stylus, its a major advantage.

i know the BENZs are well spoken of but i qould be more inclined to get an ortofon Kb or current equivalent. it has a ruby cantilever and was my friend's fave and he even had a jubilee.

enjoy.

The Benz ended up being no Benz... The seller wasn't very knowledgable of analog aspect of audio. It wasn't exactly what he had described, so I had returned it for a refund. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for an Ortofon.

Thanks again,

hifitommy
03-09-2011, 08:52 PM
here are some:

http://cgis.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?searchstring=ortofon&B1=go

frenchmon
03-10-2011, 12:58 PM
The silver SME should be the VI. Very expensive and that's the one Tommy used to have. I think the VI has much better bearing than my 309, and as Tommy stated, I think the other difference is in the headshell. If you can score it for $900, it would be a score of the millenium!!!

Just send me a PM when you get a TT. I'll send you the Denon for a trial.

JRA

Sure will do...

Yeah, I don't think he will give me that table...he was just being nice.

Enochrome
03-27-2011, 03:38 PM
jrhymeammo,

Love the deck. That VPI is one of my dream decks to own. And with that SME arm, I would never leave my house. Great purchase!!! Have you tried it with your Denon DL-110? if you still have it, or that might be a compliance issue.

jrhymeammo
03-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks Eno,

I still got the Denon and have played with the SME. The SME isn't very stubborn about cartridges so far. Needless to say, the Denon sounded very good. The Lyra sounds best to my ears so the Denon is on idle until frenchmon gets another TT.

Update:
I've received the 4" tall dust cover and the VPI Isolators.
I've installed the Isolators and played 3 1/2 LP, then took them right off. The background was much quieter and bass was tighter, BUT it sucked out emotion out of music. I'm sticking with ol' school springs.

JRA

hifitommy
03-27-2011, 04:24 PM
i too believe in springs even though i havent made the comparison. i went from the vpi to a sota sapphire, springs again. having a cement slab floor is a help here, otherwise a wall mounted shelf is probably better.

the sota uses two prings wound one way, and two the other way to prevent oscillation of the suspension. pretty slick.

Enochrome
04-01-2011, 08:50 AM
For me , I feel that spring suspended tables (is there any other kind; rubber bands?) offer greater low level detail and more holographic imaging. Although, that is relative to comparative tables in different classes.

hifitommy
04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
clarification-i had a sme IV. if i accidentally inverted the I & V, excuuuuse ME. i did love the sound but really like changing carts so went to a MMT/sota sapphire. a sme 309 would DO but its a money thing, i am not rolling in it.

the vpi also struck me as a keeper but i sold the tt/arm/cart as the system i bought. the recipient was happy enough to get it. he got about $5k worth of stuff for $900, i had paid $1k for it.

frenchmon
04-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Have Fun,
JRA

Bump...
...cause its sexy....