Hello There! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello There!

luckydoggoldminer
01-30-2011, 12:16 PM
HI! I HAVE BEEN AN AUDIO NUT FOR ABOUT THIRTY FIVE YEARS. I STARTED OUT WITH A RADIO SHACK QUAD RECIEVER IN 1975. WORKED MY WAY THROUGH THE KENWOOD AND YAMAHA STUFF TILL TODAY IM USING MONSTER POWER AND ONKYO UNITS FOR MY THEATER AND OLD V FET AND DUAL MONO YAMAHA STUFF TO DRIVE MY MAGNEPAN TYMPANIS AND MG 3.3s. YAMAHA MADE VERY GOOD STUFF IF YOU WERE VERY CAREFULL. THEIR B2 AND B2X AMPS WERE VERY CLEAN. THEIR C2 AND C2X WERE ALSO NICE. I OWNED UNTILL LAST YEAR AN YAMAHA B 1 AMP. VERY POWERFULL AND TIGHT ON THE BASS. MY SOURCE IS AN NEW A.R TURNTABLE AND DENON MC. ALSO AN SONY ES 707 AND 608 C.D PLAYER. I HAVE BEEN VERY LUCKY TO HAVE LIVED NEAR OR NEXT TO TWO EXPERTS IN THE FIELD OF AUDIO. THE FIRST WAS PROFESSOR KEITH JOHNSON. I USED TO DRIVE HIM CRAZY WITH ASKING FOR HIS ADVICE. HE WAS A REAL NICE PERSON AND I MISS OUR NUMEROUS TALKS ABOUT EVERYHING. HE IS THE CHIEF ENG AT SPECTRAL AUDIO AND HAS WON NUMEROUS AWARDS FOR HIS RECORDINGS AT REFERENCE RECORDINGS IN S.F, CA. THE OTHER FRIEND IS GUY VERALRUD AT XTC/VERTEC. HE IS ONE OF THE BEST SPEAKER DESIGNERS IN THE WORLD. HIS ABILITY TO MAKE CROSSOVERS WORK AND CLEAN UP DIFFICULT SPEAKER DRIVER ARRANGEMENTS IS SECOND TO NONE. HE HAS DESIGNED MANY SPEAKERS FOR SOME OF THE HIGHER END SPEAKER COMPANIES IN THE WORLD. I ONCE HAD A MAGNEPAN TYMPANI 3A SYSTEM. THIS WAS AN EIGHT PANEL SPEAKER SYSTEM THAT WAS MARKETED BY AUDIO RESEARCH. IT CAME WITH A AUDIO RESEARCH 2/3 WAY TUBE CROSSOVER. THE SPEAKER WAS SET UP TO USE A 100 WATT ON THE FOUR BASS PANELS AND ANOTHER SEVENTY FIVE WATT AMP TO RUN THE FOUR TWEETER AND MIDRANGE PANELS. THEY WERE THE MOST POWER HUNGRY SPEAKERS I EVER OWNED. GUY WAS ABLE TO CUSTOM MAKE A CROSSOVER THAT WAS ABLE TO RUN THAT SPEAKER SYSTEM ON ONE WATT OF POWER . THIS IS A SPEAKER SYSTEM SET THAT IS ALMOST TWELVE FEET WIDE FOR STEREO SOUND. IT RAN CLEAN ON A CHEAP MCS RECIEVER. HIS COMPANY IS VERTEC IN GRASS VALLEY. I HAVE ENJOYED MY MAGNEPANS BUT ALSO ENJOY THE SUPERB SPEAKERS I HAVE BOUGHT FROM HIM. THE SOUND FROM NEWER DVD PLAYERS IS REALLY GETTING GOOD. THE UN COMPRESSED AUDIO AVAILABLE IN NEWER MOVIES IS REAL CLEAN. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYBODY INTERESTED IN AUDIO AND VIDEO....THANKS:

dakatabg
01-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Welcome to audio review. I see you have a lot of knowledge.

You can always post some pictures so we can see your set up!

JohnMichael
01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
I tried to send you a Private Message but you are not receiving them. Please do not post in all caps. Thanks and Welcome.

JoeE SP9
01-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Welcome to AR luckydoggoldminer. Sorry I can't read your post. I don't like being hollered at. If you will re-post at a lower volume I'll give it a read.

luckydoggoldminer
01-30-2011, 04:54 PM
What are you talking about? Im just sharing my experience with audio. I dont claim to know what is the best stuff, just what i have found to sound good. I have heard MANY systems growing up in LOS ANGELES and finally grew to love all kinds of stuff. Tube equipment to all sorts of turntables and speakers. Im no expert , just a fan of good sound.

JohnMichael
01-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Many folks on the web perceive all capitals as shouting. It is off putting.

Mash
02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
is that the CAPS LOCK key is right next to the shift key. I have no idea how many sentences I have had to retype 'cuz I didn't notice that I WAS TYPING IN ALL CAPS!

All caps can be hard to read..... we need a decapitalization app..... as opposed to a decapitating app..... Al-Qaeda has one of those......

Mash
02-02-2011, 04:16 PM
a decapitalization app.

harley .guy07
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM
What are you talking about? Im just sharing my experience with audio. I dont claim to know what is the best stuff, just what i have found to sound good. I have heard MANY systems growing up in LOS ANGELES and finally grew to love all kinds of stuff. Tube equipment to all sorts of turntables and speakers. Im no expert , just a fan of good sound.

yeah its a kind of forum thing that all caps are a way of raising your voice in anger or to make a point but it fine and we understand that that was not your intention. It sounds like you have had your share of gear and have had knowledge around you to use in order to get the best out of it or at least learn how things in the audio world work. You are right Yamaha does have some hit and miss products. Luckily when I sold them in the 90's they were on a high note with their receivers and other components for being really reliable and sounding good for the money. It also sounds like you have some time with the panel speakers as well. It's always good to get someone on this forum that is well rounded and can see different perspectives. Nice to see that you have picked audio review as a site to talk audio and I hope to hear more from you.

E-Stat
02-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Many folks on the web perceive all capitals as shouting. It is off putting.
Because of the character spacing, it also looks like a continuous stream of letters, not words or thoughts.

rw