Questions about the RX-V990 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the RX-V990

ouimetnick
01-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone. Before I start, I am a new member, and look forward to spending time on this forum. I also am on AudioKarma too. :)

Anyways, I asked this before on AudioKarma, and no one seemed to be able to offer their opinion, and answer the question.

I hope someone can offer their advice on this. Here is the post below

Hello everyone.

I did get a new BA amp for the Micro90pv. It took several weeks of phoning BA, but they finally helped me out. Is it possible that the receiver that the Micro90pv was used with damage the amp? The sub was used with my grandfather's Yamaha RX-V990. He plays the stuff loud, and I was thinking it could harm the subwoofer amplifier. Also, he claimed the receiver he has (RX-V990) was a high end $999 receiver. That appears to be true. Can anyone find the production dates? Like when it was introduced and when it was discontinued? How much is it worth today?

Just an FYI about the subwoofer.
We (me & grandpa) gave up on getting the subwoofer amp fixed. He decided to purchase a cheap $99 Sony SA-W2500. I assumed he gave me the BA speaker and cabnit, as he told me to leave it at my house as it didn't work. After 3 weeks of calling BA everyday (excluding week ends) I got a service center phone number.

They guy was EXTREMELY nice, and GAVE me a $287 replacement amp for the sub for FREE! I was excited, and told my grandfather. He apparently want the subwoofer back. He wants to have it match his other BA speakers.

My mom (his daughter), and my uncle (his son) both agree that because I fixed the sub, I should be able to keep it. I even ran that by my grandfather. He said that he did indeed give it to me when he got the Sony, but things changed and I fixed it. He is giving me the Sony :P though. He also did say that the amplifier is indeed mine, and I am not going to take my amp and make a special cabinet for it, and it will stick with the sub.

So what are your thoughts on that? My grandfather went as far to say "When I die, you can have it all" meaning his entire sound system. Thing is, I want him to live for a long while, and he's only 85.

So the important question is: is it possible for a receiver playing at loud volumes to damage a subwoofer amplifier?

-Nick

Thanks for reading and offering your knowledge etc.

dakatabg
01-30-2011, 12:27 PM
You have the volume knob on the subwoofer so even if you play the receiver loud, you can adjust the volume from the subwoofer.

You can damage the subwoofer - either the amp or the woofer inside if you play it and give it more power than the normal. Usually you can feel when you are getting the max of the subwoofer, when you start getting distortion in the sound at high volume.

If you love a lot of bass, you can get more powerful subwoofer.

I hope I answered your question.

ouimetnick
01-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Thank you for your reply. But if the receiver is set to loud, but the sub's volume is set to my liking, can't the sound from the receiver at the high volume hard the subwoofer's amplifier? Its a line level input on the sub amp. Connected the the Subwoofer pre out on the receiver. When the Master volume on the receiver is raised, the sub is raised, so even if the sub's own volume was low, can't the power from the receiver hurt the amplifier inside of the sub?

dakatabg
01-30-2011, 12:36 PM
No it is not going to hurt the subwoofer. The receiver has a sub output that sends signal to the subwoofer and than the subwoofer amplifier makes the subwoofer sound so you don't have to worry.

Have your receiver as loud as you want, that won't hurt the subwoofer.

ouimetnick
01-30-2011, 12:43 PM
No it is not going to hurt the subwoofer. The receiver has a sub output that sends signal to the subwoofer and than the subwoofer amplifier makes the subwoofer sound so you don't have to worry.

Have your receiver as loud as you want, that won't hurt the subwoofer.

I see. Its just when the receiver's volume is increased, it increases the subwoofer volume. So I thought if the receiver was too loud it would be sending more power to the subwoofers input on the sub's amplifier, and possibly damage the subwoofer's amplifier.

In other words, say you have an iPod. you connect it with the adapters to the CD input on the rear of the receiver. If the iPod was at full volume and outputting the sound at full, couldn't that harm the internals of the receiver? They would be receiving more power than a typical CD player outputs. (A CD player, well 5 disc changer outputs a steady volume at all times)

Just to clarify, I'm not concerned with the actual subwoofer loud speaker, but the plate amplifier thats installed in the cabinet as the sub.

I ask this because my Grandfather played his RX-V990 at loud volumes, and the Boston Acoustics Micro90pv subwoofer amp started having issues. He didn't play it loud enough to blow the any speakers though.

-Nick

PS. Also whats your opinion on who can keep the subwoofer story?

dakatabg
01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
I see. Its just when the receiver's volume is increased, it increases the subwoofer volume. So I thought if the receiver was too loud it would be sending more power to the subwoofers input on the sub's amplifier, and possibly damage the subwoofer's amplifier.

In other words, say you have an iPod. you connect it with the adapters to the CD input on the rear of the receiver. If the iPod was at full volume and outputting the sound at full, couldn't that harm the internals of the receiver? They would be receiving more power than a typical CD player outputs. (A CD player, well 5 disc changer outputs a steady volume at all times)

Just to clarify, I'm not concerned with the actual subwoofer loud speaker, but the plate amplifier thats installed in the cabinet as the sub.

I ask this because my Grandfather played his RX-V990 at loud volumes, and the Boston Acoustics Micro90pv subwoofer amp started having issues. He didn't play it loud enough to blow the any speakers though.

-Nick

PS. Also whats your opinion on who can keep the subwoofer story?

Lets look it like that so it is more clear for you.

When you have the CD player connected, it sends signal to the amplifier in max volume.

When you have the ipod you can control the volume so even if it is on max, nothing happens to the amplifier. ( it is like the cd player )

did you get it now?

ouimetnick
01-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Lets look it like that so it is more clear for you.

When you have the CD player connected, it sends signal to the amplifier in max volume.

When you have the ipod you can control the volume so even if it is on max, nothing happens to the amplifier. ( it is like the cd player )

did you get it now?

A little bit. But when the receiver's volume is adjusted it changes the subwoofers volume even w/o touching the sub's amps. Also, i used a Y RCA cable once and connected a set of earphones to the L&R line out on the CD player (CDP-CE375) and it was very soft. not loud. the receiver amplifies it though.

JoeE SP9
01-30-2011, 03:44 PM
The answer to your original question is no.

It's possible you're hearing distortion from the sub woofer because it's turned up too loud or the entire system is in a large room and turned up too loud. Make sure the sub and speaker system are up the the task they're being asked to do.