Which speakers to get now?! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which speakers to get now?!

kalimba
04-11-2004, 05:32 AM
I have a Denon 2800 receiver which is pretty nice. I was looking at Circuit City and heard different speakers. I was thinking about getting the Polk Rti6 bookshelf and a Csi3 center because it comes with a cheap sub the PSW202 which is a 10" and should be fine for our small room. I listed to the Bose and someone said I should really give them a try but others said that the Polk were better made. I heard also NHT and wasnt so impressed. I also heard some other brands and didnt think they were so good.

I listened to the Polk and thought they were good but my friend's Klipsch bookshelfs were much clearer or at least it seemed to me. It sounded like all the details of the sound werent as defined on the Polks. I think he has Rb-35 or rb25 Klipsch and my budget will only allow me to get the RB25. I heard them in another store and they sounded pretty good but sometimes like they were missing something although the detail was really good. I dont know about the difference in brands and what I should do and hope somebody here has some experience.

chimera128
04-11-2004, 06:24 AM
Stay away from Bose unless your listening are is very small (i.e. nothing else will fit) or you are going to use them as computer speakers. Also, if you want recommendations on speakers you should always post your budget. There are a lot of good speakers in the polk/bose price range, but unless you say what kind of budget you are working with no one can really recommend anything.

kalimba
04-14-2004, 05:34 PM
What about the Klipsch ones? They seem incredibly lifelike but I don't know if it is because the volume seems louder. I heard the Bose and they were OK. I also tested the Polk ones which sounded good but lower. I don't know if they had every instrument as clear as the Klipsch or I had to turn the sound louder. What shoudl I get? Is vinyl material so bad and worse than the cabinet that is real wood veneer? is it looks only or does itaffect sound too?

topspeed
04-14-2004, 06:44 PM
A lot depends on what you listen to, music wise. The Klipsch's are terrific rockers. Their horn loaded tweeter is a love it or leave it proposition so I'd make sure you audition them for a good while. Some people find them fatiguing after awhile. Take a few of your favorite tunes, ones that you are very familar with, and then audition a lot of speakers while using Denon receiver's whenever possible. Home auditions are best of course, but you'll need to find a dedicated audio shop for that. CC, BestBuy, GoodGuys, etc. won't usually allow you to do this to keep that in mind.

Speakers are arguably the most subjective part of any system so you'll just have to decide for yourself what sound best.

Good luck and buy what moves you.