The Decemberists have the #1 selling record in the US. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Decemberists have the #1 selling record in the US.

Swish
01-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Seriously!

The Decemberists' latest, the countrified The King Is Dead, is the number one album in the U.S. this very moment. According to a press release, 93,567 copies were sold last week. Pretty cool that an indie-folk-leaning outfit named after a Russian uprising can hold the top spot on the Billboard 200 these days. And pretty amazing considering that their last album, 2009's The Hazards of Love, sold 19,000 in its first and biggest week, according to Billboard.

Pretty cool indeed, and I'm one of the 93,567 and it's sounding pretty good to my ears.

dean_martin
01-30-2011, 08:45 AM
I was going to pick up a copy at Barnes and Noble last night. They had a couple of Decemberists titles but not The King is Dead - sold out for now, I guess. Left with only the new Iron and Wine. Online shopping is much more consistent.

ForeverAutumn
01-30-2011, 09:19 AM
I just ordered mine today. But I'm not going to bump up the US numbers. We were in a bar last night and heard Down By The Water played. I suspect that this may be the last club tour for them. Bigger venues may be needed if they keep up this success. A lot of the venues for this tour are sold out.

Swish
01-30-2011, 09:32 AM
I was going to pick up a copy at Barnes and Noble last night. They had a couple of Decemberists titles but not The King is Dead - sold out for now, I guess. Left with only the new Iron and Wine. Online shopping is much more consistent.

...Soundsystem. I like the former more than the latter so far, probably because of the style more than anything. Good stuff for sure in both cases.

Davey
01-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Left with only the new Iron and Wine. Online shopping is much more consistent.
Maybe not the best choice - did you listen to any of it before hand? Not much of the old sound left anymore, very radio-friendly. I guess you could tell on the last one where he and Deck were headed, but I didn't think it would go this far. Or maybe the songs just aren't as good, but I was kind of turned off so haven't give it much of a listen. Keep us posted what you think.

Listening to the new Bardo Pond right now, think it was released last month. Pretty much the same as old Bardo Pond, a bunch of sleazy, fuzzed out guitars...nothing here that's gonna sell many copies :)

http://thedecibeltolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/02-Dont-Know-About-You.mp3

http://welikeitlossless.blogspot.com/2011/01/bardo-pond-bardo-pond-2010.html

dean_martin
01-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Maybe not the best choice - did you listen to any of it before hand? Not much of the old sound left anymore, very radio-friendly. I guess you could tell on the last one where he and Deck were headed, but I didn't think it would go this far. Or maybe the songs just aren't as good, but I was kind of turned off so haven't give it much of a listen. Keep us posted what you think.

Did not listen to it or sample any tracks before buying. It was on sale, I had a gift card and I saw'em in November - nothin' was gonna stop me. Listened to the first 3 tracks on the way home. The different direction is apparent. Wasn't thrilled about it but I'm not done listening. My wife came in from the grocery store and said she left it on track 8 for me to hear. She won't give me any hints - maybe she likes it, maybe she hates it. I'm about to go for a ride and check it out. Curiosity and all that.

Davey
01-30-2011, 01:28 PM
BTW, since this is turning into a little bit of a new release thread, have to say that I've been listening quite a bit to the upcoming Mogwai Hardcore will never die, but you will and it does seem to recapture a lot of that early (and maybe more ramshackle) spirit they brought to the 90s post-rock sound. I'm liking it a lot. And if you hurry, there's a FLAC download that was just re-upped ... here (http://holy****ing****40000.blogspot.com/2011/01/2011-flac.html) ... but I doubt it will last long (and you will have to fill in the parts of the url that are censored by this site). Not exactly audiophile sound, but not much is today. Definitely on the loud side :)

http://assets2.subpop.com/assets/images/main/8238.jpg

Slosh
01-30-2011, 04:44 PM
BTW, since this is turning into a little bit of a new release thread, have to say that I've been listening quite a bit to the upcoming Mogwai Hardcore will never die, but you will and it does seem to recapture a lot of that early (and maybe more ramshackle) spirit they brought to the 90s post-rock sound. I'm liking it a lot. And if you hurry, there's a FLAC download that was just re-upped ... here (http://holy****ing****40000.blogspot.com/2011/01/2011-flac.html) ... but I doubt it will last long (and you will have to fill in the parts of the url that are censored by this site). Not exactly audiophile sound, but not much is today. Definitely on the loud sideThanks for the link. Wasn't very hard to figure out the rest of the url.

Listened to the leak of Gruff Rhys Hotel Shampoo. Only one spin but nothing stood out to me. I thought his last album was better than the last few SFA CDs. Little disappointed but maybe it'll get better with more spins.

3LB
01-30-2011, 09:33 PM
I've heard a track or two of the latest Iron & Wine. Familiar in a way, what with the distinctive vocals, but yeah, more polished, more layers of instrumentation, somewhat contemporary singer/songwriter-ish, less of the brooding folk-noir, i.e. not very 'indie' sounding. Beam may have even trimmed his beard. Not saying it sounds like a Guster album or anything, just not overtly anti-mainstream. No real reason to listen to it, unless of course you like it.

Davey
01-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Beam may have even trimmed his beard.
Hehehe, and his hair was perfect :)

ForeverAutumn
01-31-2011, 06:28 AM
I heard an Iron and Wine song on the radio this morning that floored me, it was GOOD! It was called Godless Brother or something like that. It's making me think that I shouldn't give up on this band yet. I may just have to buy the CD and give them a more serious listen. The worst thing that can happen is that I'm out a few bucks on a CD I don't like...it certainly wouldn't be the first time. :)

For example, anyone want to make me an offer on a slightly used Grizzly Bear CD? Anyone? Anyone? :wink5:

Swish
01-31-2011, 06:35 AM
I heard an Iron and Wine song on the radio this morning that floored me, it was GOOD! It was called Godless Brother or something like that. It's making me think that I shouldn't give up on this band yet. I may just have to buy the CD and give them a more serious listen. The worst thing that can happen is that I'm out a few bucks on a CD I don't like...it certainly wouldn't be the first time. :)

For example, anyone want to make me an offer on a slightly used Grizzly Bear CD? Anyone? Anyone? :wink5:

...Godless Brother in Love. I kind of like the new one so don't let Davey sway your opinion too much before you give it a shot. I don't think it's all that radio-friendly and make take some exploration.

Davey
01-31-2011, 08:20 AM
...don't let Davey sway your opinion too much before you give it a shot.
I'll be the first to agree, and if you want to lower the risk ... try here (http://welikeitlossless.blogspot.com/2011/01/ir0n-in3-kiss-e4ch-oth3r-cl34n.html)

That said, I've only heard it once so far and don't have a strong opinion. Just haven't been excited enough to listen again. Been on kind of a Brian Eno track lately, so Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain playing right now, and had Bowie's Low/Heroes and T-Heads' More Songs About Buildings & Food/Fear of Music on yesterday. Quite a period.

dean_martin
01-31-2011, 10:42 AM
I've heard a track or two of the latest Iron & Wine. Familiar in a way, what with the distinctive vocals, but yeah, more polished, more layers of instrumentation, somewhat contemporary singer/songwriter-ish, less of the brooding folk-noir, i.e. not very 'indie' sounding. Beam may have even trimmed his beard. Not saying it sounds like a Guster album or anything, just not overtly anti-mainstream. No real reason to listen to it, unless of course you like it.
brooding folk noir - I like that. I've been calling the earlier stuff downhome spiritual and apocalyptic poetry; and, personal (almost too personal) relationship experiences.

On this new one, we still have "mother's milk in a plastic cup" and "the lion and the lamb f*cking on the back row."

What I'm picking up on musically is the influence of their touring mates, Nomo. When I saw Iron and Wine in November, Nomo opened. The horn players from Nomo joined the Iron and Wine set. Nomo's style is jazz modalities set to a groove with a little electronica thrown in. Their set was a nice compliment to Iron and Wine's, but I'm not sure the styles mesh very well which is what I'm hearing on the new one - a little bit of The Shepherd's Dog mixed with Nomo. At the live show, the Nomo horn players were playing Iron and Wine songs. On the new one, it sounds like Iron and Wine heavily influenced by Nomo.

On second listen, I'm more receptive to what's happening on this disc.

As for a Nomo recommendation - I have a copy of their 12" 45rpm called Ubiquity. Bought it at the show after their set. It features one of their standouts "Rocket #9." The whole band was gracious enough to sign the cover.

3LB
01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
I liked Iron & Wine's collaboration with Calexico. The two songs I heard reminded me of that.

Speaking of Guster, I read where they had a new one out, read a couple of favorable reviews, saw it in the store, but couldn't convince myself that I needed another Guster CD.

MasterCylinder
02-01-2011, 06:05 AM
There is a review of this album in our local paper today............the critic gave it an "A" while telling his audience even though we are only thirty days into this new year, he expects this might be the best new release of 2011.

Davey
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
...this might be the best new release of 2011.
This CD makes my ears hurt. Has anyone else actually listened to it? I mean sure, what do you expect the Decemeberists to sound like, most of their albums are badly compressed and harsh, even when they were indie, but who really likes this sound? I just don't understand, makes it a lot harder to appreciate when you can't enjoy listening to it, but I guess that's what you have to do these days if you wanna be on the charts.

OK, my Tunesday rant is over now. Back to my great sounding early Bowie fixation :)
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/np.jpg

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2011, 12:31 PM
This CD makes my ears hurt. Has anyone else actually listened to it? I mean sure, what do you expect the Decemeberists to sound like, most of their albums are badly compressed and harsh, even when they were indie, but who really likes this sound? I just don't understand, makes it a lot harder to appreciate when you can't enjoy listening to it, but I guess that's what you have to do these days if you wanna be on the charts.

Yeah, I find myself clenching my jaw during the harmonica parts. But what're ya gonna do? Ya know?

Swish
02-01-2011, 01:12 PM

OK, my Tunesday rant is over now. Back to my great sounding early Bowie fixation :)
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/np.jpg

That could be your trouble, but I'm only guessing.

Slosh
02-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Speaking of new music...

NP:

Swish
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
brooding folk noir - I like that. I've been calling the earlier stuff downhome spiritual and apocalyptic poetry; and, personal (almost too personal) relationship experiences.

On this new one, we still have "mother's milk in a plastic cup" and "the lion and the lamb f*cking on the back row."

What I'm picking up on musically is the influence of their touring mates, Nomo. When I saw Iron and Wine in November, Nomo opened. The horn players from Nomo joined the Iron and Wine set. Nomo's style is jazz modalities set to a groove with a little electronica thrown in. Their set was a nice compliment to Iron and Wine's, but I'm not sure the styles mesh very well which is what I'm hearing on the new one - a little bit of The Shepherd's Dog mixed with Nomo. At the live show, the Nomo horn players were playing Iron and Wine songs. On the new one, it sounds like Iron and Wine heavily influenced by Nomo.

On second listen, I'm more receptive to what's happening on this disc.

As for a Nomo recommendation - I have a copy of their 12" 45rpm called Ubiquity. Bought it at the show after their set. It features one of their standouts "Rocket #9." The whole band was gracious enough to sign the cover.

Kiss Each Other Clean isn't quite on the level of The Shepherd's Dog in terms of overall unity of vision. Oddly, even with Beam's generally bolder singing, it's also not quite as immediately striking. These songs are generally not the type to grab you right away, but there's enough mystery and melody there to call you back. It's an album that takes its time seeping in, and it's ultimately worth putting in the close listening that reveals its many details and delights.

I was totally underwhelmed upon my first listen, but my appreciation has grown considerably after the 4th or 5th listen. It's a keeper for sure.

ForeverAutumn
02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
but my appreciation has grown considerably after the 4th or 5th beer.

:rolleyes:

Davey
02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Maybe you need to upgrade to a 7-channel Sony Walkman like me? That could be your trouble, but I'm only guessing.
Yea sure, denigrate a disgruntled consumer for voicing his complaints against an industry bent on turning all of the music we love into a constant barrage of irritating noise, instead of chastising the corporate money grabbers responsible for nearly two decades of crap sounding CDs like this. I could use an upgrade, though :)

jonnyhambone
02-02-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't have the new Decemberists yet but listening to the new Iron and Wine, I've thought it was the Decbsts. several times...much more up, densely instrumented, and forcibly sung (not too much whisper singing anymore) than earlier Beam releases. That said, I like it quite a bit. The vinyl sounds good (came w/ a cd too that is much more compressed and muddled sounding), the electronic textures aren't too heavy-handed, not as poignant as other albums by him but very enjoyable to listen to and well played...makes me think of Laura Nyro for some reason.
Similar sorta, the new one from Destroyer is really interesting. It's like a late night come down from a coked-out 80's leisure suit party. Lots of horns, dark but not depressed, enigmatic but really funny lyrics with lots of good music insider nudge-nudges, genre-hoppin' but still pretty cohesive. After a handfull of spins, I'm lovin' it.

3LB
02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Generally speaking, the new Iron & Wine is good, as in the songcraft is as good as its ever been, but it doesn't have the intimacy that Shepard's Dog has.

Yeah, the new The King Is Dead is loud and in your face. Very '90s. Its as though they're begging for forgiveness for having made a concept album and trying to win back their critic darlings status by making an REM album. How tragically hip of them.

Swish
02-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah, the new The King Is Dead is loud and in your face. Very '90s. Its as though they're begging for forgiveness for having made a concept album and trying to win back their critic darlings status by making an REM album. How tragically hip of them.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought 'Down by the Water' sounded very similar to 'The One I Love'. Very similar.

atomicAdam
02-20-2011, 01:57 PM
I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought 'Down by the Water' sounded very similar to 'The One I Love'. Very similar.

I've got this albums playing right now while the snow is melting and sun is shining. On the larger system it is actually pretty good.

Mr MidFi
02-21-2011, 06:35 AM
The Decemberists disc is most definitely growing on me. (But then again, I've always liked REM, so that's probably has something to do with it.) And the I&W disc grabbed me from the jump. Sure, it lacks the 'intimacy' and vulnerability of much of his previous work, but these songs are doing well with the more self-assured and readily accessible treatment they're being given. It's that kind of album, so why not.

The new Radiohead is a puzzler to me. It's either trying too hard, or not trying hard enough. I dunno, but there's not much for me to connect with. So far.

tentoze
02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
New Decemberists= thumbs up, regardless of SQ.

New Iron & Wine= Never got past the 3rd song. Dreadful. I suppose this is where Beam's been heading, but I think he should have made a u- turn back to teaching school about 3 albums ago.

Slosh
02-22-2011, 04:51 PM
New Decemberists= thumbs up, regardless of SQ.Agreed.

New Iron & Wine= Never got past the 3rd song. Dreadful. I suppose this is where Beam's been heading, but I think he should have made a u- turn back to teaching school about 3 albums ago.Disagree, album of the year for me (at this point). Me & Lazarus and Monkeys Uptown are among the best I&W songs to date, and every other song has grown on me. The Shepherd's Dog will probably always be my favorite I&W album but Kiss Each Other Clean is exceptional as well. The Creek Drank The Cradle and Our Endless Numbered Days I like in bits and pieces. TSD and KEOC I always seem to play straight through.

Swish
02-23-2011, 05:07 AM
New Decemberists= thumbs up, regardless of SQ.

New Iron & Wine= Never got past the 3rd song. Dreadful. I suppose this is where Beam's been heading, but I think he should have made a u- turn back to teaching school about 3 albums ago.

I like the Iron & Wine more than the Decemberists new record, but both are getting plenty of spins around my house. I really can't figure out how you can call the former 'dreadful'. That's as puzzling to me as Jim Clark's trashing of the last Josh Ritter cd. Oh well.

tentoze
02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
I like the Iron & Wine more than the Decemberists new record, but both are getting plenty of spins around my house. I really can't figure out how you can call the former 'dreadful'. That's as puzzling to me as Jim Clark's trashing of the last Josh Ritter cd. Oh well.

Swish-baby, I can call it dreadful because that is exactly what my ears tell me it is. I't just differences of opinion. Vive le difference, eh?

Swish
02-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Swish-baby, I can call it dreadful because that is exactly what my ears tell me it is. I't just differences of opinion. Vive le difference, eh?

...by saying it was 'puzzling'. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, no matter how ridiculous it may be. :hand:

tentoze
02-24-2011, 05:33 AM
...by saying it was 'puzzling'. You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, no matter how ridiculous it may be. :hand:

Well, the perception of ridiculous opinion should come as no surprise- I've always been swimming against the current here, like the sacrilegious stance that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a piece of non-essential fluff.

:prrr::)

bobsticks
02-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Now it gets good.

Swish
02-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Well, the perception of ridiculous opinion should come as no surprise- I've always been swimming against the current here, like the sacrilegious stance that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a piece of non-essential fluff.

:prrr::)

...are that much different in the grand scheme of things. I would bet we agree much more than disagree.

tentoze
02-24-2011, 12:18 PM
...are that much different in the grand scheme of things. I would bet we agree much more than disagree.

You're right, of course.

P.S.: That new Iron & Wine really sucks.

:D

ForeverAutumn
02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
You two are reminding me of a great line I heard recently...

"If I agree with you, then we'll both be wrong. "

:D