So, for the hundreds that don't like Bass...... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So, for the hundreds that don't like Bass......

Hyfi
11-25-2003, 04:25 AM
What is your favorite instrument, if you had to pick one?

Who is your favorite performers on that instrument and why?

Seems odd that only 8 or 9 people out of all that lurk and post here like bass.

Swish likes Guitar.....who?
Master Cylinder likes Drums
Yech likes Guitar

I know this is much more lame than a Power Pow Poll but I'm trying to hang in here since....gosh, I just love you guys!

Hyfi---clicking in at a snails pace

Ex Lion Tamer
11-25-2003, 05:37 AM
...bass is my favorite instrument. I've gone on record on this board, and others, with my favorite players on a number of occasions, so I figured I'd skip this time. I've played a little bass in my younger days, so my ear is attuned to hearing the bass line. I'm not necessarily a lover of virtuoso playing a la Jaco Pastorius, or Stanley Clarke, but I like an interesting bass line that doesn't overwhelm.

And one more time...

Bruce Thomas (The Attractions)
Brian Ritchie (Violent Femmes)
Robbie Shakespeare (various reggae artists)
John Entwhistle

Jim Clark
11-25-2003, 02:49 PM
I like bass but seldom hear one really any bass guitar that grabs my attention. I guess in general it's not supposed to. I guess Joy Division and British Sea Power have some bass lines that seem pretty cool. If either player is any better than average I'd be afraid to hazard a guess.

What I enjoy hearing most is the synth. Capable of teeth rattling bass and equally adept at these wonderous little sonic tidbits that can dance in air or be shunted back and forth at a dizzying speed. I like all of the cool spacial effects that can be created, but that's just me.

jc

Hyfi
11-25-2003, 03:30 PM
What I enjoy hearing most is the synth. Capable of teeth rattling bass and equally adept at these wonderous little sonic tidbits that can dance in air or be shunted back and forth at a dizzying speed. I like all of the cool spacial effects that can be created, but that's just me.

jc

Name a few Synth artists or groups you like that play what you described.

tugmcmartin
11-25-2003, 04:00 PM
I'd have to pick kazoo as my favorite instrument. So simple, yet so complex.

Actually, i'm a geetar feller. My favorite's would be SRV, Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai, Albert Collins on the electric side of things. Going acoustic, i'd have to say Norman Blake and Tony Rice would be tops. Chet Atkins would fit in there somewhere too.

Not all that familiar with bass players though. Victor Wooten is pretty impressive. And the bassist for Aquarium Rescue Unit is pretty good too from what i can tell. I think his name was/is Otiel Burbridge.

T-

Jim Clark
11-25-2003, 04:47 PM
Name a few Synth artists or groups you like that play what you described.

Well, I guess that would be most of them although I don't know enough names to be able to say who does the "thinking it up" and then the programming. I was listening to Hybrid in DPL2 last night and the speakers were shooting the dancing photons back and forth, front to back, and diagonally. This was really my first time listening to DPL2 with music. Totally gimmicky, totally cool. Would you like this stuff? Probably not. AMG says it sounds like Massive Attacks and Trevor Horn's lovechild.

I listened to Electric Skychurch's "Sonic Diary" that Nobody reminded me of last week. I'd only listened in the minivan or truck and wasn't that impressed. Sitting in the sweet spot with a better sound system opened the door to some amazing sounds created on a synth. There's so much going on that it's impossible to remember all the nuances from listen to listen. I will say that this doesn't do well as background music, you must actually listen to it to appreciate what he has created.

That Special EFX track I used that led you to create a sampler for wouldn't be the same track without the synth bass line-it supports the entire song. Can't make that sound with anything else. Pipe organs can go that low but rocking pipe organ music is hard to come by if you know what I mean.

Depeche Mode's last album, Exciter, takes full advantage of the dynamic range. I'm not so sure it's the best songs they've commited to disc but it sure sounds sweet. Again, who does the programming? I'm pretty sure it isn't David Gahan but most likely Gore but that's just a guess.

I guess I don't have a favorite, but rather like the sound overall, regardless of who may be at the helm.

jc

3-LockBox
11-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner...I do like bass...but I don't think I follow any particular player. I do think that the bass player makes or breaks any band, whether prog rock or blues or jazz. Imagine Yes without Chris Squire.

Whooptee
11-26-2003, 10:39 PM
I like the bass, but I sure couldn't name very many bass players and I sure as heck couldn't tell you if they were any good or not. I used to love going to live shows where you could really feel the bass like it was inside you. Nowadays, I'm a bit more protective of my hearing, so I don't get that close if I can help it.

Acoustic guitar is my favorite instrument.

John

Hyfi
11-27-2003, 05:20 AM
Acoustic guitar is my favorite instrument.

John

So who are your favorite Acoustic performers?

I like Chaquico, Acoustic Alchemy, Hedges, Peter White.........