Recent Rentals and Viewings... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Rentals and Viewings...

Worf101
01-28-2011, 09:10 AM
It's roundup time again boys and girls this is what we've been viewing the ole man-cave.

1. The King's Speech - B Plus - I reviewed this one earlier it's a good, but not great film. I think the Academy get's moist for Einglish period pieces. "Becket" "A Lion in Winter", "A Man for All Seasons" etc... The King's Speech is NOT in that lofty an atmosphere.

2. The Expendable - C-minus - When this film kinda did well at the box office last summer I had high hopes that this film might be a fun popcorn muncher. It basically sucked. Stallone is almost as unintelligible as Dick Clark now and makes a whole lot less sense.

3. Predators - B - This film is basically the continuation of the thread started in "Aliens Vs. Predators". The idea that the Preadators have hunted the Aliens for sport for millenium. However, at the end of that film there's a stinger where the first Alien to Spawn INSIDE a Predator explodes from his hosts chest. If you didn't see that part of the movie or weren't paying attention then the finale of this film that has an "ordinary" Predator fighting what seems to be a larger uglier Predator will be lost on you, but it wasn't lost on me. Adriean Brody, yeah the Oscar Winning one, stars as a mecenary dropped into a jungle along with 7 other human killers. They soon find out that they're being hunted by Predators for sport. While not exactly original, the movie is bright, well written, full of action and FUN!!! You could do much worse.

4. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - C-minus - I wanted to like this movie. I wanted to see the kids make something new, but I quickly lost interest in this implausible mish mash of style over story. Some of the battles are fun but the premise is so stupid you wind up feeling its a waste of time.

5. The Phantom - C - This is NOT the Billy Zane offering of some years ago but a SyFy Channel film (probably a failed pilot) that updates the story of "The Ghost Who Walks" and brings both the Phantom and the Zhiang Brotherhood into the 22nd Century. The biggest problems with this film are the lead, he's not big enough or bad enough to be the Phantom and his costume, they eschew the Purple Spandex for Purple and Black kevlar. This kid just looks stupid and silly.

6. Hot Tub Time Machine - C-minus - I want my 90 minutes of life back. Silly crap.

7. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - B-Minus - This animated tale takes a fresh take on the how Supergirl comes into being. Knowing that the guys who rent this sutff aren't interested so much in her, Supergirl isn't even mentioned in the title. Instead they couch this as another Batman/Superman adventure and dust, the Boy Scout and the manic grouch side by side again. Interesting story and good animation, worth a look if you're into superhero animation.

Worf

Hyfi
01-28-2011, 09:26 AM
I just watched the Social Network last night and except for Justin Timbermoron I liked the movie.

Another really cool movie is Splice where a couple of scientists splice human and animal together.

Feanor
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Hey, Worfster. Ain't viewing great. :3:

Recents for me ...

The Social Network -- 4/5 stars. Overall a very good movie.

True Grit -- 4/5. I loved this one. Great wild west flavor; kinda like a Spagetti western but without the hyperbole. Great acting by Jeff Bridges.

Robin Hood -- 2/5. Pretty much junk. Also, a highly inaccurate rendition of the historic melieu, (which sort of thing matters to me).

The Expendibles -- 1.5/5. Rubbish.

The King's Speech -- 4/5 or even 4.5. But I'm a sucker for "accurate" historical dramas, like The Young Victoria, (versus anti-historical rubbish like Robin Hood).

The Town -- 3.5/5. Pretty good -- lots of violence and a little love interest: a good ratio. Good portrayal of a "nasty" by Jeremy Renner.

Black Swan -- 3.5/5. Great portrayal by Natalie Portman of young woman deeply troubled by professional stress, erotic repression, irrational guilt -- and encroaching psychosis. Otherwise a bit one-dimensional.

Red -- 3/5. OK action comedy with big-star appeal.

Jack in Wilmington
01-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Recents for me ...

True Grit -- 4/5. I loved this one. Great wild west flavor; kinda like a Spagetti western but without the hyperbole. Great acting by Jeff Bridges.

Robin Hood -- 2/5. Pretty much junk. Also, a highly inaccurate rendition of the historic melieu, (which sort of thing matters to me).

The King's Speech -- 4/5 or even 4.5. But I'm a sucker for "accurate" historical dramas, like The Young Victoria, (versus anti-historical rubbish like Robin Hood).

The Town -- 3.5/5. Pretty good -- lots of violence and a little love interest: a good ratio. Good portrayal of a "nasty" by Jeremy Renner.

Black Swan -- 3.5/5. Great portrayal by Natalie Portman of young woman deeply troubled by professional stress, erotic repression, irrational guilt -- and encroaching psychosis. Otherwise a bit one-dimensional.

Hey Bill, I had the Robin Hood movie in my Netflix queue, but now I'll probably take it out. How would you compare it to the Kevin Costner version? I remember reading one of the movie critics year end reviews and his quote was "Well Crowe is no Errol Flynn or Douglas Fairbanks, but at least he's better than Kevin Costner.

dean_martin
01-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Worf, I saw Hot Tub Time Machine a couple of weeks ago. It was really bad. It was billed as the latest The Hangover. What a fraud! And John Cusack has become tiresome. He's played the same guy since High Fidelity which was probably his last decent movie.

Haven't seen Scott Pilgrim but I did watch Youth in Revolt. It has some originality and quirky characters. I enjoyed it.

recoveryone
01-29-2011, 09:45 AM
TAKERS: An updated version of heat. This film had so much potential if it would have been handed off to the right director. I saw that the film was produced by T.I (TIP) Harris (Rapper, also one of the lead characters) and maybe the funding was not at the full studio support level which may have been the reason that the film seem to be rushed. The cast was a good fit with some veteran actors and fresh new blood. The story line was believable, it just lack depth in most of the characters. I even thought that it may have serve the film better if it had been shot in reverse order, letting the audience wondering how it got to the ending. For me I would have like seeing a few flash back scenes on the background of the crew (Gang) these guys had so much skill, they were not your run of the mill street thugs that woke up one day and got smart. Matt Dillions' role would have been better if we had a clue what was going on in his personal life, since it was a subject of topic with his partner in each scene they were in. Enough on the movie:

The Blu Ray is very good as it should be crisp,and detail. The sound is DTS-HD Master, it will rock you to sleep until the foot chase scene were the surrounds come to life with high/low camera angles and fast cuts make you sit up and watch. For under $20 yeah get it and a good rental (nice shots of the LA sky line)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTg4ODg5NzkzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAyODM5Mw@@._ V1._SY317_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3133703680/tt1135084)

Worf101
01-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I just watched the Social Network last night and except for Justin Timbermoron I liked the movie.

Another really cool movie is Splice where a couple of scientists splice human and animal together.
I watched "Splice" last night. Great movie, plausible Science, great acting by both leads and hot, cross-species sex!!!! Well, interesting sex. Adrien Brody's paying the rent by starring in some interesting films for an ex-Oscar winner. Good movie.

Worf

Worf101
01-29-2011, 10:23 AM

Recents for me ...

Thanks for the reviews. There are a couple three on your list I got to hit and you've done me a service. I agree totally with your assessment of the one's we've both seen.

Worf

PS And viewings great and when the movies right, a blast!!!!

Worf101
01-29-2011, 10:27 AM
TAKERS: An updated version of heat. This film had so much potential if it would have been handed off to the right director. I saw that the film was produced by T.I (TIP) Harris (Rapper, also one of the lead characters) and maybe the funding was not at the full studio support level which may have been the reason that the film seem to be rushed. The cast was a good fit with some veteran actors and fresh new blood. The story line was believable, it just lack depth in most of the characters. I even thought that it may have serve the film better if it had been shot in reverse order, letting the audience wondering how it got to the ending. For me I would have like seeing a few flash back scenes on the background of the crew (Gang) these guys had so much skill, they were not your run of the mill street thugs that woke up one day and got smart. Matt Dillions' role would have been better if we had a clue what was going on in his personal life, since it was a subject of topic with his partner in each scene they were in. Enough on the movie:

The Blu Ray is very good as it should be crisp,and detail. The sound is DTS-HD Master, it will rock you to sleep until the foot chase scene were the surrounds come to life with high/low camera angles and fast cuts make you sit up and watch. For under $20 yeah get it and a good rental (nice shots of the LA sky line)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTg4ODg5NzkzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAyODM5Mw@@._ V1._SY317_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3133703680/tt1135084)
My son wants me to rent this for him and his girlfriend. Is her momma gonna get upset by the violence and any possible sex?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Worf

Feanor
01-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Hey Bill, I had the Robin Hood movie in my Netflix queue, but now I'll probably take it out. How would you compare it to the Kevin Costner version? I remember reading one of the movie critics year end reviews and his quote was "Well Crowe is no Errol Flynn or Douglas Fairbanks, but at least he's better than Kevin Costner.
I haven't watch the Kostner version in quite a while but in my recollection it was a lot more fun (and less historically pretensious) than the Crowe version. I'd give the former a 3/5 or even 3.5/5

recoveryone
01-29-2011, 01:07 PM
My son wants me to rent this for him and his girlfriend. Is her momma gonna get upset by the violence and any possible sex?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Worf

really no sex, you get to see Paul Walkers' butt as he walks into a pool with two women waiting on him, but no top nude. The action is gun action and one really good fight scene with Hayden ( I was waiting for the light saber to come out) he was good in it though. the lanaguage is so, so not over the top. I'm sure he hear's more at school and when its used in the movie it fits the scene.

recoveryone
01-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Invictus: I borrowed this from a neighbor and I will go out and find this on Blu Ray, Its been a while since a soundtrack impacted a movie the way this one did. This is a docudrama/sports film about South Africa and the changes it is going through after apartheid and the release of Nelson Mandela. The Story is what drives this film and the soundtrack is strong and impactful. I think the last movie I viewed that had such a strong soundtrack was Lion King.

This was a DVD played on my BDP Pioneer 120 (upstairs system), PQ was clean and the surround effects and L/R panning is very good.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAyMzExMDM1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcyMTQ5Mg@@._ V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm469405184/tt1057500)

Feanor
02-01-2011, 12:00 PM
A couple more this week with sundry Academy nominations :

Winter's Bone -- 4/5 (at least): A modern Ozarks tail of a stalward young woman who, with a little luck, does what it takes to foster her younger brother and sister in a melieu about as down-and-dirty as it gets (at least for white people in the mountains). I'm very impressed. Great acting and directing.

The Fighter -- 3/5: An OK fight movie but no Raging Bull. Christian Bale is good as the usual, looser relative, and Melissa Leo as the b!tch mother.

I also rewatched my old most favorite TV miniseries ...

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy -- 5/5: From 1979, based on the John Le Carré novel of same name. Stars "the real", (as opposed to the Star Wars), Alec Guinness

Mr Peabody
02-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Good reviews. I was really disappointed by The Expendibles, couldn't believe such a bad movie had all the publicity this did.

dean_martin
02-02-2011, 09:06 AM
A couple more this week with sundry Academy nominations :

Winter's Bone -- 4/5 (at least): A modern Ozarks tail of a stalward young woman who, with a little luck, does what it takes to foster her younger brother and sister in a melieu about as down-and-dirty as it gets (at least for white people in the mountains). I'm very impressed. Great acting and directing.

[

I've been wanting to see this since I heard about it last spring. It had a one week run at the single-screen indie theater in Mobile (about an hour away from me) but I missed it. Thanks for reminding me to get it on disc, netflix or wherever.

poppachubby
02-15-2011, 12:04 PM
This was a really great flick, I watched it on Blu Ray....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_un4FPNMTquY/TNWvTHiZKTI/AAAAAAAAAJw/a_I329Cf8no/s1600/red_cliff_xlg.jpg

Feanor
02-15-2011, 12:20 PM
This was a really great flick, I watched it on Blu Ray.... {Red Cliff}

Cool, PC. My wife and daughter kinda like kick operas: what's special about this one? :smile5:

John Woo has done a wad of movies; I've see a couple including (e.g.) The Killer starring Yun-fat Chow. And it seems he's done a Red Cliff II -- have you see it yet?

recoveryone
02-15-2011, 05:03 PM
This was a really great flick, I watched it on Blu Ray....ReD Cliff

Saw the trailer of this while viewing Ong Bak 2, it looked very good. Speaking of Ong Bak 2

I brought all three last week, the Original is weak in a lot of areas, but this one is very polished and well put together, Plenty of action and a good twist at the end. If you get 2 go ahead and get 3 as its part 2 of the 2nd one.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjIzMjM2NDAwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDU0NjU3Mg@@._ V1._SY271_CR0,0,182,271_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm619743488/tt0785035)

Unstoppable: predicable story line, but you still sit riveted to your seat to find out what happens next, Very good LFE and surround track:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjI4NDQwMDM0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY1ODMwNA@@._ V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1137542912/tt0477080)