review of Vizio VOJ320F1A 32" LCD 1080P [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : review of Vizio VOJ320F1A 32" LCD 1080P

recoveryone
01-26-2011, 08:24 AM
I picked this up over the holidays as my birthday gift to myself. I waited until now to post my review of this new addition to my bedroom setup. The VOJ320F1A replaced an older Vizio 32" 720p LCD and it has been a nice upgrade, the 1080p/1080i picture is as detailed as it is on my 55" downstairs. The 3 HDMI gives me enough connections to run the cable box and BDP in their full glory. setup is simple and each connections has its own settings , so if there are issues with the cable, VCR or BDP each has its own. iIts has input naming, so that makes it easy for the input challenge seekers. what really got my attention about this set over the LG I was concidering was the optical output. I was hoping that it would atleast passthrough a 5.1 signal to my AVR. and save me input space on the AVR. No such luck , the optical output only puts out a 5.1 signal from the built in tuner. I called Vizio tech support to see if there was a firmware upgrade and no such luck again. The optical out will only do DD stereo from inputed sources, which comes out as DPL on my AVR :). So while the PQ is great, you still need a AVR with HDMI to get full use of HDMI or just stick with components.

the price was right at $365 and other than the audio, which was something I should have researched myself, I really can't say anything bad about this unit or major drawbacks, since no other TV can passthrough from inputted sources.

Smokey
01-26-2011, 04:51 PM
The optical out will only do DD stereo from inputed sources, which comes out as DPL on my AVR :)

Thanks for review Recovery. One question though, what about when input source is analog audio. Does optical output put out anything when input is analog.

recoveryone
01-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for review Recovery. One question though, what about when input source is analog audio. Does optical output put out anything when input is analog.

Good question Smoke, I will have to run the VCR and see what happens.

pixelthis
01-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Good question Smoke, I will have to run the VCR and see what happens.

Probably nothing. BET THE ONLY analog out will be earplugs. I MEAN, a D/A
converter on a cheap set like this? Pshaw.
BTW I have an 18.5 VIZIO at work that I watch, and its quite good also, but its
started going off at odd times. Something might be overheating. Its connected to
the audio. Try and turn up the volume and poof.
As for SMOKE pulling the cord on a TV...IS IT THE APOCALYPSE YET:1:

recoveryone
01-28-2011, 12:59 PM
I think along the same line Pix, but what the heck, thats why we come on here for, to see what we can learn.