rega p-1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : rega p-1

ryanianmckinnon
01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
so about a month or so ago i put up a post about my rega p-1 and how i was having problems with it, so i took it into sound hounds the local high end electornics to get it fixed. They said it would take 3-4 days, so today i got a call saying that the tonearm or something was broken and that they didnt have anymore and were not able to get any more in. So they said i could upgrade to a project turntable for only 50 bucks more, the problem is that i dont know what table i would be upgrading to and if it is better or not because i dont want to get a turntable that is worth less than the one i got, can anybody help me decide me and my dad are going in tomorrow to figure it out.

i just got off the phone with them and they said the upgrade would be to a project debut 3, is it worth the extra 50 bucks ? i dont know tons about that project table or if its any good or anything but any input would be greatly appriciated. thanks

02audionoob
01-25-2011, 04:01 PM
They're probably talking about the Pro-Ject Debut III, which is not an upgrade against the Rega P1. It's probably a draw. It's a nice turntable but it seems like it is a little more prone to motor and vibration issues than it should be. I do own one, but I got it cheap...and I don't have any problems with it. If I were choosing at dealer prices, I'd probably prefer the Rega.

ryanianmckinnon
01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
yeah that is what they are talking about. Hmm that makes me not want to trade my rega for it if its the same especially for 50 bucks more. I dont want to have to deal with those problems, i also dont have the time either. Hmm this was a christmas present which sucks even more cause i didnt even get to hear the table. I dont think i want to get the pro-ject now if its just the same and its gonna cost 50 bucks more

02audionoob
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
If the Rega is truly broken, it would be worth $50 to trade it in for a good working turntable. But if they're willing to take it in trade, they must know how to repair it. Otherwise it would be worthless, don't you think?

ryanianmckinnon
01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
yeah they said it is i think i am gonna like return it and get the money back then get the pro-ject turntable, and yeah that is true and also wouldnt u be able to send it back to the factory and get a new one as it is still under warrenty and it was a factory defect