Two new series. . . [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Two new series. . .

dean_martin
01-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Just wanted to bring to your attention 2 new series - Shameless and Being Human. Shameless is on Showtime. I've watched the first two episodes. It's kind of like a carwreck's aftermath or maybe watching your neighbors in a family squabble. You know it's none of your business, but you can't turn away. Anyhow, this is an fyi post really. I'm not sold on either.

Being Human is on scifi. The vamp character has potential as does the werewolf, but the ghost character I'm not so sure about - a little cheesey at the beginning. Worf recently posted about the original British series on which this Americanized version is based. (I think I recall reading that Shameless is also based on a British series, but I'm not sure and I'm not curious enough to look it up.)

Worf101
01-29-2011, 10:51 AM
I've been meaning to catch both of these but, there's only so many hours in the evening. I HAVE to see the American version if only to compare. I get slightly miffed when SyFy touts "Being Human" as a NEW ORIGINAL Series!!!! What rubbish, don't they know how obsessed SyFy folks are?

As for the second series "Shameless", I grew up in the Projects the son of what would be called now "the working poor" surrounded by the poor. I've seen enough alkies, drug addicts and alike to last a life time. Not exactly what I'd call "entertainment". However, in that I respect your opinions so much, admire Mr. Macy's work and have Showtime, I'll give it a view on on-demand.

Thanks for your reviews...

Worf

RGA
01-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Well a new show I like so far - only 2 episodes made is Harry's Law with Kathy Bates.

This is David E Kelley so if you didn't like Boston Legal and/or The Practice (which I did) then you probably won't like it. But so far so good.

Incidentally, The Practice is still not out on DVD or Blu-Ray which is odd to me. This show I felt was a lot better than all the other law shows I watched but oh well.

GMichael
01-31-2011, 11:26 AM
I've been watching "Being Human." It's still new to me so I'll give it a couple more chances. So far, it's only so-so at best. The ghost is hot, but I don’t get her character very well. She’s perky and sad at the same time.
The wolf is a bit of a bitter jerk. The vampire is a handsome guy who cares about people’s feelings. I haven’t met many of those types. All in all, I’d give it a 6 out of 10.

dean_martin
01-31-2011, 01:42 PM
While watching the 4th episode of Shameless last night, I realized I missed the 3rd. I've been dvr'ing them until I decide not to bother with it (or at least that was the plan). Anyhow, I thought last night's episode was good. The kids, a couple of whom really stand out, make the show. Macy's character doesn't get a lot of screen time probably because he's so despicable. He's placed in situations which are amusing (Joan Cusack's home) but I doubt anyone empathizes with this character unless they're watching from their home-away-from-home bar. But again the kids carry it. I'm sticking with it. And one other thing - Entertainment Weekly said stay away because of Macy's character. ET needs to watch it. He ain't the center of attention. (Of course ET always gives itself a do-over when something becomes popular despite their warnings.)