Roger Ebert & Walter Murch on why 3D TV/Movies will never work. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Roger Ebert & Walter Murch on why 3D TV/Movies will never work.

atomicAdam
01-24-2011, 07:41 PM
I wish i went to the movies more often to get a headache..or not.

Interesting though -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/24/roger-ebert-3d-tv-_n_813061.html

From the post -

"The biggest problem with 3D [...] is the "convergence/focus" issue. [...] [T]he audience must focus their eyes at the plane of the screen -- say it is 80 feet away. This is constant no matter what.[...] But their eyes must converge at perhaps 10 feet away, then 60 feet, then 120 feet, and so on, depending on what the illusion is. So 3D films require us to focus at one distance and converge at another. And 600 million years of evolution has never presented this problem before. All living things with eyes have always focussed and converged at the same point.
So the "CPU" of our perceptual brain has to work extra hard, which is why after 20 minutes or so [of watching a 3D movie] many people get headaches. They are doing something that 600 million years of evolution never prepared them for. This is a deep problem, which no amount of technical tweaking can fix. Nothing will fix it short of producing true "holographic" images. - Murch"

kexodusc
01-25-2011, 04:31 AM
Hmm. Interesting. I've never had a headache, but I must say the more 3d films I see the less and less I like them. I think the gimmick is wearing off on me.

recoveryone
01-25-2011, 07:20 AM
I never been a big fan either, these newer ones are better than the ones I saw back in the 70's and 80's. But I always place them in a fad catorgory, but now you have all these TV makers putting out 3D TV's and opinions like this good kill the format for comsumer buyers (lack of content).

RGA
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Every 3D film I have seen has been total crap including Avatar - I was not the least bit impressed with the 3D which was mediocre and it didn't help that the story was 2D.

But you're forgetting one important thing. Most people, especially in the United States, don't believe in Evolution - and thus chances are their brains don't work particularly hard in the first place - so 3D is probably just fine for them :-)

dean_martin
01-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Every 3D film I have seen has been total crap including Avatar - I was not the least bit impressed with the 3D which was mediocre and it didn't help that the story was 2D.

But you're forgetting one important thing. Most people, especially in the United States, don't believe in Evolution - and thus chances are their brains don't work particularly hard in the first place - so 3D is probably just fine for them :-)

En garde, Canadien! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

If we start now, we won't even need those glasses in 600 million years.

atomicAdam
01-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Hey now - I don't think that stat has reached over 50% yet.... at least we have better beer than you folks do. :prrr:

RGA
01-26-2011, 09:01 PM
En garde, Canadien! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

If we start now, we won't even need those glasses in 600 million years.

I include Canada when I say Americans. I always forget to write North Americans. We buy the same garbage. Though in everyone's defense buying a 3d tv isn't that expensive and you can turn it off so m'eh - maybe I am just grouchy but I hate it when the industry creates the demand for itself and tries to foist this on everyone as the must have technology. DVD-A and SACD they did the same thing with and thankfully both are dead or in the final death rattles.

RGA
01-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey now - I don't think that stat has reached over 50% yet.... at least we have better beer than you folks do. :prrr:

Hell 1/3 of Americans still think Obama wasn't born in the States. Geez.

And beer - n'ah you guy probably never tried good Canadian beer (which isn't any of the mainstream stuff like Molson Canadian which is pure swill.

Alexander Keith's Dark or Red, Sleeman's HoneyBrown.

Personally I am not a big beer guy - I like reds and darks and Chocolate Porters and Guinness. Don't really like pale beers - Hoegarden white is pretty good -- but it's Belgian.

Jack in Wilmington
01-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Hell 1/3 of Americans still think Obama wasn't born in the States. Geez.

And beer - n'ah you guy probably never tried good Canadian beer (which isn't any of the mainstream stuff like Molson Canadian which is pure swill.

Alexander Keith's Dark or Red, Sleeman's HoneyBrown.

Personally I am not a big beer guy - I like reds and darks and Chocolate Porters and Guinness. Don't really like pale beers - Hoegarden white is pretty good -- but it's Belgian.

Rich, in SACD and DVD-A defense at least they never gave me a headache. 3D is nice at Disney as an attraction.

Smokey
01-27-2011, 05:34 PM
BTW guys, have you seen the new face of Roger Ebert. He look so different.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2011/01/ebertnew.jpg

Robert-The-Rambler
01-29-2011, 06:08 PM
BTW guys, have you seen the new face of Roger Ebert. He look so different.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2011/01/ebertnew.jpg

He is really brave to have made the decision he did and I have a ton of respect for a cancer survivor who made a living voicing his opinion who is not letting the loss of his voice weaken his critical mind and resolve.

Smokey
01-29-2011, 07:02 PM
I like the way he wrote in a journal about subject of death:

"I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state."