Sarah McLachlan's $15.00 Music Video... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sarah McLachlan's $15.00 Music Video...

RGA
01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Sarah makes an interesting point on her own industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0O2LMqnHGg

cheers

Richard Austen

pixelthis
01-25-2011, 02:39 PM
BIG FAN OF HERS, but its sad that like most "left coast" types she has no understanding
of capitalism at all.
Sure most labor in the entertainment industry is overpriced, and I BET THAT
miss "Sarah" is a staunch supporter of the unions that are primarily responsible.
AS FOR COMPARATIVE COST of meager supplies in other parts of the world, just an
attempt to infuse liberal guilt. MOST OF THESE countries are an excellent example
of what happens when you have a population explosion without a industrial revolution.
THE BIBLE SAYS IT BEST, "the poor are always with us". If we dismantled the USA (the
largest wealth producing engine ever created) to feed those with six kids and no education,
we could feed them for a few days, at most.
LETS get the Muslims and CATHOLICS to feed the hungry of the world, these two major religions are set against birth control, and are the primary reason for the population explosion.
ONE THINGS FOR SURE, its a lot more complicated than some barefoot pop star will
tell ya in a few minutes.:1:

kexodusc
01-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Isn't her home valued at $4 million bucks somewhere in West Vancouver? She's no stranger to capitalism.

E-Stat
01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Sarah makes an interesting point on her own industry.
I wonder how many starving children could be fed if all the bleeding heart entertainment sorts contributed their Lears, Falcons, Citations, and Gulfstreams.

rw

dean_martin
01-25-2011, 03:44 PM
THE BIBLE SAYS IT BEST, "the poor are always with us".

When are you going to read the rest of it?

RGA
01-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Isn't her home valued at $4 million bucks somewhere in West Vancouver? She's no stranger to capitalism.

It may be - but then 1 in 13 people living in British Columbia has a net worth of over a million dollars and the average home in Vancouver is $502,000. So all things considered her home is not outlandish - and she probably needs a few extra walls to keep the nutters out.

I didn't read anywhere where anyone was saying give all your money away. Nor did I see anywhere in the video to throw money at non long term aid things like dumping rice on their heads. What i saw was infrastructure building "wells, houses, education" to help them help themselves.

That doesn't means give all your wealth away to save them or feel guilty - I don't feel guilty - the world is what it is and I was born where I was born. Nevertheless I don't need to be a complete consumption pig either.

RGA
01-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Everyone would be a lot better off if they didn't read it at all!

dean_martin
01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Everyone would be a lot better off if they didn't read it at all!
That would be better than lifting things out of context to suit your own agenda. There are many more verses regarding how we should help and treat the poor than the simple acknowledgment that the poor will always be with us. I think the fact that the poor will always be with us says more about those who are not poor than those who are.

tube fan
01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
We are not a Christian nation IMO. We are a Jewish nation: dog eat dog, eye for an eye, brutal, selfish. The "Christians" in the US go directly from the old testament to the last book of the new testament, ignoring, you know, EVERYTHING Jesus ever said!!!

RGA
01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
No one needs Jesus to tell you what to do and you don't need to read a big book to understand why society will function just fine if every Bible and every other religious text was burned tomorrow.

One page as follows is all that is necessary - and this stuff incidentally is in the evolutionary genes of virtually every species around today including humans. Judaism and Christianity are not even remotely original - they lifted virtually everything from far older religions. It's so sad that this is the biggest snow job in history.

http://www.humanismbyjoe.com/morality_without_religion.htm

dean_martin
01-26-2011, 09:04 PM
No one needs Jesus to tell you what to do and you don't need to read a big book to understand why society will function just fine if every Bible and every other religious text was burned tomorrow.

One page as follows is all that is necessary - and this stuff incidentally is in the evolutionary genes of virtually every species around today including humans. Judaism and Christianity are not even remotely original - they lifted virtually everything from far older religions. It's so sad that this is the biggest snow job in history.

http://www.humanismbyjoe.com/morality_without_religion.htm
Wow! I'm surprised you're advocating the burning of any text. All religious texts have at least some historical (not necessarily in the sense that they record accurate historical fact) and/or sociological value.

As far as lifting things from far older religions I don't disagree but it's far easier to pick up a Bible than a translation of some ancient text.

My initial response in this thread may have been out of place. My point was that the Bible says more about the poor than they will always be with us. If that's all one gets, then that's an excuse to do nothing about the problem.

pixelthis
01-28-2011, 12:49 PM

how much of the bible do you want me to read to you?:1:

pixelthis
01-28-2011, 01:01 PM
We are not a Christian nation IMO. We are a Jewish nation: dog eat dog, eye for an eye, brutal, selfish. The "Christians" in the US go directly from the old testament to the last book of the new testament, ignoring, you know, EVERYTHING Jesus ever said!!!

THERE are more JEWS in this country than Isreal, but we are not a JEWISH, CHRISTIAN,
MUSLIM or whatever, we are a secular nation.
The founders saw what a mess a religious theocracy usually makes of things and went to
great pains to make sure that didn't happen here.
THERE is a strong CHRISTIAN influence in this country, and trust me, coming from a bible thumping state that is as close to a theocracy as you will ever get, its not something you want.
I GET SO TIRED of religious types sticking their nose in my business.:1:

Feanor
01-28-2011, 02:32 PM
That would be better than lifting things out of context to suit your own agenda. There are many more verses regarding how we should help and treat the poor than the simple acknowledgment that the poor will always be with us. I think the fact that the poor will always be with us says more about those who are not poor than those who are.
Quite right, Dean, though I'm not exactly a religious person.

Jesus mean that we will have have to opportunity to help the poor, but that he, the saviour would not always be with us (in person).

By the way, I'm reading an extremely interesting book at the moment that has a thing or two to say about the New Testament scriptures and the early Church -- maybe not what a lot of people will want to hear, though.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512jZh3J%2BCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

dean_martin
01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
how much of the bible do you want me to read to you?:1:
I'll repeat myself just for you, Pix, because my original response to you was rather cryptic:
"My initial response in this thread may have been out of place. My point was that the Bible says more about the poor than they will always be with us. If that's all one gets, then that's an excuse to do nothing about the problem."

So I guess what I'm saying is that there are more verses about the poor. You can read those to me if you like. I particularly like those where Jesus says, "I came to you hungry and you didn't feed me, I came to you naked and you didn't clothe me, I was in jail and you didn't come visit me, etc. What you do to the least of these you do to me." (d_m vers.)

Here's a testimonial for ya. I'm probably sharing way too much information. My wretched ex-wife (and mother of my only biological son) was thrown in jail one time for stabbing some guy with a fork. Her even more wretched mother called me for help because she didn't have the money to post a bond. We didn't split on the best of terms so my intitial reaction was "serves her right" but after thinking about my son and recalling this verse for some reason, I went to the jail which was an hour away to try to help.

I'm not that religious, but I know enough about the Bible to know when someone is lifting something out of context or using an old harsh Old Testament law to stir up trouble. So I'm initially skeptical when someone starts quoting the Bible. Plus, I'm fascinated with those History Ch shows about what was left out of the Bible and why. And, I'm intrigued by the ancient religions whose pre-Bible texts tell many of the same stories such as the flood. I learn alot from watching Ancient Aliens. :)

I'm not sure what my point is anymore. I haven't even watched that video in RGA's original post yet. I shoulda kept my mouth shut.