Mirage 460's VS DCM KX10 Series II [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mirage 460's VS DCM KX10 Series II

vintageoldschool
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
First, hello to the community at large. I'd popped in before and decided to join. I truly am "Vintage / "Old School". I had to replace a Denon receiver and got a Nikko NR-715 rated at 180 watts for $19.99 & have a Nikko integrated amp for backup. I'm running a four speaker straight stereo with KLH 900B's (Awesome for the money) which just blow away my Yamaha two way floor speakers which Iiwant to replace. The price I can get is the same for the Mirage 460's & the DCM KX 10 series II and I'll be buying blind/deaf and would appreciate opinions. Could also go Aura LST-627 M's. Thanks and great being here. Have fun picking my system apart...LOL.

kelsci
01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
I have the KLH 900Bs and agree that they are an awesome bookshelf speaker for the money. I do not have them hooked up right now but I can visualize them being used with a virtual mode on a receiver. I like them very much for stereo sound particulaly music. Their 3 way design IMHO was not condusive to a 5 way system because IMHO in a 5.1 system I like a two way design which IMHO delivers the right kind of sound and imaging.

thekid
01-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Vintage

Welcome to AR!
As someone who collects and uses a fair amount of vintage gear I am glad to have someone else join who is also interested in vintage gear. There are a few others here who have or have owned a lot of the "classics".

I think Nikko receivers fly under most people's radar but they are are very well built and were well received critics. I use an 819 and my office along with a pair of Wharfdale W60E's. The Beta and Alpha series amps also have a following.

Speaker wise I am not familiar with Mirage but am familiar with the DCM KX series. I have several pairs of DCM speakers and their Time Frame and Time Window speakers are sleepers that ignored by many audiophiles in part because they were sold through Circuit City back in the 80's or 90's. The company was bought up by MTX and the KX series is from that time period. They are rocker speakers but really lack the detail which was a trademark of the earlier DCM speakers. They are quite common and can be bought for not much coin but there are other vintage speakers in the same price range that are superior to the KX. Someone else here might have some experience with the Mirage's and can help you there.

Happy Hunting!!!!!

vintageoldschool
01-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I just can't afford to go any other way than by buying vintage gear. I am completely satisfied and downright happy with the NIKKO's & KLH'S. The entire speaker issue became mute tonight as I'll be adding KLIPSCH 8.5'S winning an auction @ $76.00. I've always been a fan of the four speaker stereo setup and I think the KLIPSCH'S are going to be a great addition. It sounds great even with my crappy YAMAHA'S Thanks to everyone...Much Appreciated !!!

thekid
01-25-2011, 04:29 AM
I just can't afford to go any other way than by buying vintage gear. I am completely satisfied and downright happy with the NIKKO's & KLH'S. The entire speaker issue became mute tonight as I'll be adding KLIPSCH 8.5'S winning an auction @ $76.00. I've always been a fan of the four speaker stereo setup and I think the KLIPSCH'S are going to be a great addition. It sounds great even with my crappy YAMAHA'S Thanks to everyone...Much Appreciated !!!

Congrats!
Please post photos when you get it all set up.

vintageoldschool
01-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Seems like more appropriate category