Speaker Wire Querry [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Wire Querry

jimmy m
01-22-2011, 12:06 PM
I've been looking at replacing speaker wire and most electronic places seem to be pushing monster cable which normally is like 16 guage. My question is what is the difference between monster cable thx and monster cable xln. Does it really matter which one you get for home stereo? XLN has a car audio connotation, can you still use it in the home? THX seems to be a little more expensive. Or should I avoid Monster Cable and start looking at something completely different? My runs are about 25' and powering CW DX-9s.

Feanor
01-22-2011, 01:50 PM
I've been looking at replacing speaker wire and most electronic places seem to be pushing monster cable which normally is like 16 guage. My question is what is the difference between monster cable thx and monster cable xln. Does it really matter which one you get for home stereo? XLN has a car audio connotation, can you still use it in the home? THX seems to be a little more expensive. Or should I avoid Monster Cable and start looking at something completely different? My runs are about 25' and powering CW DX-9s.

Monster speaker cable and interconnects are sucker bait. For good, pro-grade cable at rational prices, check out Blue Jeans Cable ...
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/index.htm

For a 25' run, I'd select their 12 ga. Belden 5000 series cable; terminate them with BJC's banana plugs and/or spade terminations, whichever best suits your amp and speakers. See HERE (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm).

What's the difference between THX and XLN? Why worry? Maybe it's the gauge or the color or something, or maybe it's just the price.

Mr Peabody
01-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I haven't compared the two but suspect they wouldn't be far off from each other in sound. THX is a certification that something meets Lucas Films specs and the certification costs the manufacturer which adds to the retail cost. If for car audio I'd guess the insulation should be good.

Maybe more expensive, I'm not sure, take a look at www.bluejeanscable.com who makes some very good products. BJC sort of bridges the gap between Monster and the more expensive cable brands as far as performance. I found BJC to outperform by far the budget cables but in my opinion can be bettered if you are willing to spend the money. Sometimes though it's not a matter of better vs worse but more so which blends better with the equipment you use.

I don't know so much about bulk speaker wire but you might find some deals on Audiogon.

JoeE SP9
01-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Forget Monster cable. Make your own speaker cables. Check any or all of the links below.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/DIY-Speaker-Cables/

http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html
some amplifiers don't like this cable. My Adcoms don't.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html

There are many other DIY cable and interconnect projects. They are fun and relatively easy to construct. Many look even better than expensive commercial offerings. Markup on commercial IC's and speakers cables is anywhere from 500% to 800% or more.

Call me cynical but I don't understand how any cable can cost more than a very good amplifier.

If DIY is not your thing.
I use DH Labs Signature Q-10 speaker cable and BL-1 interconnects. They use Silver plated Copper. They (IMO) sound very good and are very reasonably priced. I highly recommend their products

markw
01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Monster decent cable but way, way overpriced. You can get te same quality and performance for much. much less.

Stick to a fairly generic 12 - 16 gauge cable. Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cables are good solutions. Then again, so is the stuff Home Depot sells.

I've never been able to find out what it takes to say one's cable is "THX certified". ...besides money for the licensing fee, that is.

jimmy m
01-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks boys, it looks like I'm gonna run with the Belden 5000UE 12 AWG. Should suffice. Blue Jeans was a great tip.

jimmy m
01-22-2011, 02:35 PM
As far as terminating the wire, I really dont see the necessity, unless the bare ends wont fit into the speaker couplers (if that is the correct term) I think you get my meaning..

recoveryone
01-22-2011, 03:16 PM
As far as terminating the wire, I really dont see the necessity, unless the bare ends wont fit into the speaker couplers (if that is the correct term) I think you get my meaning..

Using banana plugs or spades can make for a better connection to the speakers or AMP. Most are made of gold plating or some other durable coating that does not oxidize as fast as normal bare wire in open air. which results in a better consistent sound over the years.

jimmy m
01-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks recoveryone for the explanation. Yet another thing to take into consideration.

Mr Peabody
01-23-2011, 01:13 PM
You can still get a good connection with bare wire and a bit of solder to coat the bare ends helps prevent oxidation.

markw
01-23-2011, 01:51 PM
You can still get a good connection with bare wire and a bit of solder to coat the bare ends helps prevent oxidation.The benefit of using bare wire is it's malleability. When compressed, such as when tightening a screw or inserting into a push-to-insert connector, it is compressed and makes a tighter, more secure connection that also spans a slightly larger contact area.

Tinning the ends, while looking cleaner, takes away this ability and makes for a less secure connection.