Ever hear of ACOUSTIC REFERENCE STUDIO MONItors? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ever hear of ACOUSTIC REFERENCE STUDIO MONItors?

Heraldicone
04-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Ever hear of ACOUSTIC REFERENCE STUDIO MONITORS? I have acquired a "Goodwill Special" of Acoustic Reference Series1201's, circa 1995. They say Made in the USA but some research I have done states they could be UK. One link took me to Acoustic Energy, but they politely denied ever having owned this company. I have managed to hook them up one at a time to an old system from (excuse me) Radio Shack. The speakers are NOT located where I have any good equipment. However, they have a powerful sound and can be adjusted for mid-range, etc. I wish to get any background I can get and some idea as to pricing for insurance. eBay only had two sales; one just under $100 for a pair and one about $150.00. One seller claimed he had paid close to $450.00 originally. ANY links, news, comments are welcome!

topspeed
04-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Sounds like a white van speaker to me, but who knows?

N. Abstentia
04-11-2004, 04:00 AM
Yes, those are the white van speakers. If you paid over $15 for the pair, you got ripped off.

Heraldicone
04-16-2004, 11:15 PM
undefinedundefined
Yes, those are the white van speakers. If you paid over $15 for the pair, you got ripped off.

WHOOPS! If you mean "white van" are the characters who pull up in a parking lot, announce that there has been an overstock of really expensive speakers, and produce a van full of impressive looking speakers for the low, low price of $800 a pair ("rather than the usual $2-3,000 a pair" ) then, indeed I did get stuck at $80 for the pair from Goodwill. However, my research on auction sites and dealer sites showed these speakers came from a real company. They have sold for $80 and up. They sound OK. Nothing spectacular, but quite lively and bright. If I could locate the receipt, Goodwill would take them back! Any other ideas to save my face and pocketbook? Especially if that darn receipt continues to elude me?

topspeed
04-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Stick 'em in your garage and rock out. At least you'll have some tunes while you're working on the toys or in the yard. They're $2 drivers in a box. If you can't return them, just use them until they die.