PC bundled software reactivation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PC bundled software reactivation

Smokey
01-20-2011, 01:31 PM
When you buy new PC these days, it usually come with trial period (60 days) of bundled softwares including Norton Internet Security software.

60 days trial days expired couple of months ago and Norton Security software quit working as they want me to purchase their software which I refused.

Over the holidays, I reinstalled Window7 on my PC and it re-activatre Norton software for another 60 days. I wonder how many times I can reinstall windows and get free Norton software after 60 days is up :)

The trick is not to registor the software with Norton web site when the registration window pop up once in a while.

Hyfi
01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
When you buy new PC these days, it usually come with trial period (60 days) of bundled softwares including Norton Internet Security software.

60 days trial days expired couple of months ago and Norton Security software quit working as they want me to purchase their software which I refused.

Over the holidays, I reinstalled Window7 on my PC and it re-activatre Norton software for another 60 days. I wonder how many times I can reinstall windows and get free Norton software after 60 days is up :)

The trick is not to registor the software with Norton web site when the registration window pop up once in a while.

Lots of tricks..

You can play with the date and System Restore
You can download cracked versions that last 15 years

If you purchase an actual single user disk, you can use it 3 times but the days left are from 1st install date.

They used to let you install 5x with new start date up until 2 years ago.

The only problem with what you did is that you have to reinstall all the PGMs you installed after the OS and lose Favs and Bookmarks if you didn't export them. Also you have to copy all your files back from your backup solution.

In reality, if you safe surf, you can get away with Windows Firewall and Defender along with AVG Free Antivirus.

Smokey
01-20-2011, 04:40 PM
In reality, if you safe surf, you can get away with Windows Firewall and Defender along with AVG Free Antivirus.

Since free Zonealarm firewall crashed my PC (that was resaon reinstalled Windows), am kind of wary of free antivirus/firewall softwares. I tried to use Window Firewall, but it is so complicated that is overwhelming. So left it alone.

Reinstalling window7 was pretty much painless as it update itself automatically. But did lost all of my bookmarks :mad2:

kexodusc
01-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Since free Zonealarm firewall crashed my PC (that was resaon reinstalled Windows), am kind of wary of free antivirus/firewall softwares. I tried to use Window Firewall, but it is so complicated that is overwhelming. So left it alone.

Reinstalling window7 was pretty much painless as it update itself automatically. But did lost all of my bookmarks :mad2:
Smokey my man, you gotta start using Xmarks to save all your bookmarks for those darned Windows crashes :)

I usually uninstall all that crap asap when I get a new Windows compy. Never thought about scamming free trials. Brilliant!

02audionoob
01-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Norton is a major user of the computer's resources. I go with no anti-virus software at all. I do use Ad-Aware. I've read that Microsft's own software is less of a hog...

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

blackraven
01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Norton is a major user of the computer's resources. I go with no anti-virus software at all. I do use Ad-Aware. I've read that Microsft's own software is less of a hog...

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

I recently saw a review of several major antivirus programs and Norton was rated as one of the ones that uses less resources. It was rated better than Avast, Mcafee and a few others much to my surprise. A few years back it was one of the worst. With that being said, all antivirus programs are resource hogs. However, just about every new middle of the road computer should not see a performance drop these days unless you are really taxing the computer. I use Norton because it comes free with Comcast Internet service. I have most of its features turned off.

Feanor
01-21-2011, 05:55 AM
I recently saw a review of several major antivirus programs and Norton was rated as one of the ones that uses less resources. It was rated better than Avast, Mcafee and a few others much to my surprise. A few years back it was one of the worst. With that being said, all antivirus programs are resource hogs. However, just about every new middle of the road computer should not see a performance drop these days unless you are really taxing the computer. I use Norton because it comes free with Comcast Internet service. I have most of its features turned off.
It must have improved a lot. At the same time I'm certain that AVG Free, which I used, has gotten worse.

Regardless, I won't pay for Norton or any other antivirus when I can get a very good one for free. AVG and Avast! both have free versions that seem to work very well -- there's no reason to pay purchase & annual license fees to Norton

What a scam when that you're checking out at, say TigerDirect, the cashier is forced to plug some minor brand antivirus for $20-30 bucks. :mad:

Smokey
01-21-2011, 06:37 PM
It must have improved a lot. At the same time I'm certain that AVG Free, which I used, has gotten worse.

Same thing with Free Zonealrm firewall also. It definitely have gotten worse. Have used it over past 9 years with no problems, but with win7 it is giving me problems. I think it is in conflict with window's own firewall.

basite
01-22-2011, 02:17 AM

OR, you can just install AVG free instead of norton. I had a 30 day trial version of norton with my dell laptop. first thing I did was remove it, and install AVG.

Now, I formatted my disk too, reinstalled win7, and I haven't been using a virus scanner anymore. Surf safe, know what you're doing, and you won't have any problems. we have a firewall setup in our router, so I don't even need the windows firewall neither.

about the ZoneAlarm: it uses alot of resources, too much for my liking, apart from that, It's also buggy as hell. always remember, that, unless you're a "big fish" in terms of "being valuable" economically, or whatever, you are no real target for hackers, ... I only turn my windows firewall on, when I'm at a public location with people I don't know, that also have access to the same network, because then, it's easy to get on another man's computer. Here at home, or at school, I never had any use for it.

all just adds to a better performing pc imo...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Smokey
01-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Now,about the ZoneAlarm: it uses alot of resources, too much for my liking, apart from that, It's also buggy as hell. always remember, that, unless you're a "big fish" in terms of "being valuable" economically, or whatever, you are no real target for hackers.

What I likes about Zonealarm was that is was easily set up and gave me complete conrol of programs internet accessibility requests. It gave me warning anytime a program on my PC try to acces internet, or any outside reuests to get in.

I try to do same thing with Window's own firewall, but one need a Ph.D to configure it.

basite
01-22-2011, 11:03 AM
What I likes about Zonealarm was that is was easily set up and gave me complete conrol of programs internet accessibility requests. It gave me warning anytime a program on my PC try to acces internet, or any outside reuests to get in.

I try to do same thing with Window's own firewall, but one need a Ph.D to configure it.

which is great, and in some cases, I understand why you could need that. But what programs wouldn't you grand access to the internet? most software checks for updates, ... that's about it, actually :p

I have used zonealarm in the past too, and while it's very good at what it does, it buggs me off with everything else, and it uses too much resources to my liking. but that's just my opinion. (it's also a ***** to remove...)

in windows firewall: go to control panel --> system & security --> windows firewall, and then left "allow programs to work through windows firewall", and check all the programs you want to allow to connect to the internet for both public or home/work network connections :)
never had any problems with that... especially behind a router at home, I didn't feel like I needed more...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.