Uncompressed files and related software [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Uncompressed files and related software

rickwriter
01-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm new to this forum, and I hope this doesn't seem like too simple a question. Here goes.

I own several hundred cds, and I may be moving overseas. I've read about network audio players, and it seems to me that I can perhaps get rid of my cds (rather than shipping them all overseas) by loading them onto my computer in uncompressed files and then playing them on my audio system thru such a player. However, I know little or nothing about such an idea.

How many different uncompressed file formats exist? Which are thought to be the best? Can anyone recommend a particular software package for recording my cds onto my computer and then playing/managing the files thereafter? Any other tips regarding this idea? If there are any articles to which you can refer me, I'd be happy to do some reading on my own - I just don't know where to start.

Thanks!

rakeford
01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
For CD's, just rip them to a big hard drive. You can use Winamp, Windows Media Player, or about any other other audio software to rip. Hard drive space is so cheap, file size is irrelevant.

Vinyl is a little harder. Here's how I did it, Vinyl to Digital Transfer- The rakeford method (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=33176). All you need is a RadioShack audio y-cable (dual RCA phono male to 1/8” stereo male, gold plated) and some software like Audacity.

Feanor
01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm new to this forum, and I hope this doesn't seem like too simple a question. Here goes.

I own several hundred cds, and I may be moving overseas. I've read about network audio players, and it seems to me that I can perhaps get rid of my cds (rather than shipping them all overseas) by loading them onto my computer in uncompressed files and then playing them on my audio system thru such a player. However, I know little or nothing about such an idea.

How many different uncompressed file formats exist? Which are thought to be the best? Can anyone recommend a particular software package for recording my cds onto my computer and then playing/managing the files thereafter? Any other tips regarding this idea? If there are any articles to which you can refer me, I'd be happy to do some reading on my own - I just don't know where to start.

Thanks!
Hi, Rick!

Welcome to the world of computer-based audio. This can be as simple or as complicated as you like.

Loading CDs on to your computer is call "ripping" in the vernacular. There are about a million programs that will do that for you more or less well. In fact most computer music players will do it as part of their built-in functionality. Do you currently use a player -- iTunes, WinAmp, Windows Media Player, or whatever?

Best sound quality does not require that you rip to an uncompressed format. There are several "lossless" formats that compress the music files but without loss of resolution, (sort of like a Zip file for other types of data). I recommend the FLAC format which is lossless and open-source. Or if you're already a heavy iTunes user, Apple Lossless, (a.k.a ALAC), is acceptable. Note that from a FLAC (or ALAC) file you can burn CDs with the same resolution as the original; (this is not the case for "lossy" formats such as MP3).

Any computer will play your computer music files. You will need a music player program: for people with larger collections I recommend one of Foobar2000 (free), J.River Jukebox (free), or Media Monkey (free version but lacking some features). (All three will also rip and burn CDs.) Of course the venerable WinAmp or WMP work pretty well too. So does iTunes if you're an Applie iPod user, (use the ALAC format), and especially if your computer is a Mac.

However for ripping my CDs I use a program called dBpoweramp which produces exceedingly, (usually perfectly), accurate rips to FLAC (or other formats). There is a free version, though the "Reference" version has useful additional features. dBpoweramp will also play files, converts between formats, and burn CDs.

There are about a hundred ways to connect your computer to your hi-fi system. The simplest is to use a stereo 3.5mm to twin RCA adaptor and run cables to your receiver/amp. There are also ways to connect to one or more hi-fi systems, wirelessly or by LAN cable, without connecting a computer directly to your system(s).

Got any more questions? Let us know.

rickwriter
01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks! I'll check out iTunes ALAC, as I use iTunes already. I currently have just about everything I own in iTunes, for my iPod. These were loaded as MP3 files, I assume. Can I use iTunes to create two separate libraries - one with MP3 files and one with ALAC files? I'll also check out dBpoweramp and Foobar 2000. Sounds interesting.

Feanor
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks! I'll check out iTunes ALAC, as I use iTunes already. I currently have just about everything I own in iTunes, for my iPod. These were loaded as MP3 files, I assume. Can I use iTunes to create two separate libraries - one with MP3 files and one with ALAC files? I'll also check out dBpoweramp and Foobar 2000. Sounds interesting.
I'm not sure whether iTunes will like you to rip multiple formats from a single CD. It wouln't do both formats at once, and I'm pretty sure it will question you if you try to rip a CD a second time, even to a different format. You might be able to "trick" it into making a second copy without erasing the first -- however it is far easier & quicker to use a conversion program to make a copy in the second format, than it is to rerip.

Personally, I use the dBpoweramp Batch Convert to make MP3 copies from FLAC originals -- it does this very slickly and quickly.

noddin0ff
01-20-2011, 06:18 AM

Yep. You can maintain two separate libraries in iTunes but it's a pain. On a Mac, hold the option key down when you start iTunes and a window will appear allowing you to create or choose a library. They function as separate entities.

If you want to use iTunes to create a lossless and MP3 versions, it won't do both at the same time. You'll want to create the lossless versions first. When done go to iTunes Preferences / General and set your import settings to MP3 (or whatever). Now when you go back to your library select what you wish to convert and from the 'Advanced' pull down menu select "Create MP3 version". This command changes to reflect whatever setting you have in your preferences.

I'm not sure whether its easier to keep both lossless and MP3 in one library or to switch libraries everytime you want to access MP3. However, you should note that when you set the preferences on your iPod, that there is an option to "Convert higher bit rate songs to 128kbps AAC"

So, you can have your library in lossless and have it compressed into a format similar to MP3 for your iPod when you transfer music. Personally, I just load my iPod with lossless. I don't mind having fewer albums and it saves me the headaches of keeping everything straight.

Finally, in addition to all the excellent advice and information from Feanor, I'll point you at an additional mac-friendly ripping program that I use, Max (sbooth.org). It also interconverts many file types (FLAC, MP3, etc.). X Lossless Decoder (XLD) has also been recommended. It looks like an excellent ripper but I like the conversion functions in Max. Personal preference.

rickwriter
01-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks all; FYI, I'm not a Mac devotee - always been PC, and I'm sure I'll stay that way.

harley .guy07
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with being a pc guy and not a mac person, I feel the same way and there are so many open source(free) programs for these purposes like the ones mentioned above I am sure you will be able to find something to work for you if the Itunes does not. My only suggestion is do like I do and have a dedicated hard drive to back this music up so if your pc dies on you you will still have your music.