Denon Receivers remote ID problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon Receivers remote ID problem

kiwi32
01-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Here is another issue I am trying to resolve.
Hopefully someone knows more than me about the "Remote ID" option in the Denon AVR-788 and AVR-488 menus.

Here is the situation:
I have 4 different "audio station" that all have a few components each.They are all linked together,but in this case it is not important to know about the connection layout or the components.All you need to know is that there is a Denon AVR-488 upstairs and an AVR-788 downstairs,.I have 3 logitech harmony remotes to control them.I also have 3 IR-to-RF remote extender,so whatever IR signal,regardless of the location,is sent to all 4 "stations".This allows me to control downstairs CD player while listing to it upstairs,etc.

This somewhat complex system works perfectly,except for the AVRs.I have the RC-1079 remote that came with the 488 upstairs and programmed into the harmony remote.The problem is that the signal is also sent to downstairs 788 thru the extender.I do not have the remote for the 788 but its also programmed in an harmony remote.Both the original remotes and programmed harmonys acts on the 488 and the 788 at the same time.

I discovered the "Remote ID" option in both receiver's menu but I am not sure how to use it.I tried turning Remote ID to 2 instead of one on downstairs receiver,but then it shows a message on the screen when I use it with the correct harmony remote(it was expected since it sends a "remote ID1" code I guess).

My questions about this are:

How do you change the ID of a Denon remote?
Can you change the ID of a remote programmed in an harmony?
How do you identify a denon remote to check if its an ID 1,2,3, or 4 ?
Whats the difference between the RC-1079 and RC-1080, the remote ID ?

Thank you for your help!

pixelthis
01-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Why don't you just cover the remote extender while you don't want it in use?:1:

kiwi32
01-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I can't.I use the amp in my living room for my home theater setup,and my downstairs amp is powered up pretty much everyday.I would have to cover it evertime someone use the TV,and manually change input/setting while dowstairs...

pixelthis
01-17-2011, 01:38 PM
I can't.I use the amp in my living room for my home theater setup,and my downstairs amp is powered up pretty much everyday.I would have to cover it evertime someone use the TV,and manually change input/setting while dowstairs...

OHHHH. I would guess you're using zone 2 on both, leading to four "zones".
BEST THING TO DO is split these Siamese twins, but don't do it lightly.
Analyze which "zone" will go with the other one. And you might have to duplicate some equipment, but overall it would be worth it. ONLY other thing is to go with one receiver,
and get some switching gear, or a more advanced whole house control system.
THE GOOD THINGS in life are "free", the better things cost money. The only thing
I have ever tried is remote speakers, and an equipment room, with just a monitor and speakers in the HT area. You either need someone to look at your system, simplify
it greatly, or start taking meds. Setting up different zones in a house is not for the faint of heart, really.:1:

kiwi32
01-19-2011, 12:11 PM
I am not sure why you are suggesting a completer re-design of my system.They are not necessarily linked together both ways.Why are you talking about Siamese splitting?

I am just looking for Denon remote ID system instruction/model number/harmony compatibility.The actual system works perfectly for my needs...
Thanks.

pixelthis
01-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I am not sure why you are suggesting a completer re-design of my system.They are not necessarily linked together both ways.Why are you talking about Siamese splitting?

I am just looking for Denon remote ID system instruction/model number/harmony compatibility.The actual system works perfectly for my needs...
Thanks.

BECAUSE you are not quite clear, but using zone two for each receiver is really the only
way to create four "nodes" from two receivers.
Check out DENONS website, why don't you? AND GOOD LUCK.
The only way to have four listening/viewing areas trouble free is with one integrated system,
which you don't have. Eventually you will kill one of the twins and integrate everything
into one system, hopefully before you go over the edge and they lock you in a rubber
room. BTW, you say its not "necessary" to know the layout to help you, well, thats
like fixing a car without a shop manual. BTW my DENON had a slider on the remote to pick which code set you wanted to use, don't know about yours.
If remotecentral.com is still around you might try them.:1:

kiwi32
01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
I am judging the system layout is not important here because I am solely looking for a way to use the "remote ID" function of my receiver with my harmony remote to avoid signal control.A system re-design is not considered(nor needed,imo) in this case...
Sorry about the misunderstanding.

BTW my DENON had a slider on the remote to pick which code set you wanted to use, don't know about yours.
If remotecentral.com is still around you might try them.:1:

Wow,really? I have never seen or heard about such a button...
Or did you mean the component selection button?What is the model # of your remote?
I checked remotecentral and it seems like a very informative and useful website,Ill be digging it for sure,I already went thru a few denon remotes manual but not trace of the "ID" button on any of them.
Thank you for your help.

pixelthis
01-20-2011, 01:54 PM
I am judging the system layout is not important here because I am solely looking for a way to use the "remote ID" function of my receiver with my harmony remote to avoid signal control.A system re-design is not considered(nor needed,imo) in this case...
Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Wow,really? I have never seen or heard about such a button...
Or did you mean the component selection button?What is the model # of your remote?
I checked remotecentral and it seems like a very informative and useful website,Ill be digging it for sure,I already went thru a few denon remotes manual but not trace of the "ID" button on any of them.
Thank you for your help.

I don't have that receiver any more.
Keep searching through the setup menu, its in there someplace, probably in
hardware setup. Long term solution is to integrate your "systems" into one cohesive
whole house system. Doing things right is the only way to do things.
But on the bright side, I have seen systems more messed up than yours appears to be.
GOOD LUCK.:1:

kiwi32
01-26-2011, 06:39 PM
After a lot of search,I found this fantastic document: http://is.gd/pkhsnL

and I am posting on harmony forum here: http://is.gd/fcgS03 to try to add it to my harmony account.
Thanks.