My sickness continues [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My sickness continues

DPM
04-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Yep. I bought more CDs this week. To start off, on Friday I decided to unload some old vinyl at the local used CD shop. I spent the resulting store credit on Get Yer Boots On: The Best Of Slade and a used copy of Probot--Dave Grohl's metal outfit. (Both disks have their moments, but neither is worth writing home about.)

Then today I took advantage of the sunny weather and went for a drive. I ventured down into the city and stopped at my favorite shop, Paul's CDs. I ended up leaving with the following:

1) The Nice/The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack--Newly remastered with bonus tracks including a stereo remix of America. It sounds much better.

2) Porcupine Tree/The Sky Moves Sideways--Steve Wilson had Gavin Harrison lay down drum tracks to replace the drum machine on Dislocated Day and The Moon Touches Your Shoulder. He then remixed those two songs and remastered the rest. This recording sounds much improved now. I like the song Stars Die on the bonus disk.

3) Pallas/The Sentinel--Word of mouth told me that this is an excellent recording, so I picked it up. It too has been remastered. (I haven't listened to it yet.)

4) Yes/Relayer--Back in the 80's, I bought this recording on CD and hated it. No matter how I tried I just could not get into the music, and the CD sounded like Sheeeit! It was way too bright, and the bass was MIA. So I dumped it. Anyway, I spotted the newly remastered version of Relayer sitting in the racks. It was only $10.00, so I figured what the hell. I may as well give it another shot. I'm glad I did. I like it now, and soundwise this new CD blows off the original. Love the packaging.

DaveM

Finch Platte
04-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Yep. I bought more CDs this week. To start off, on Friday I decided to unload some old vinyl at the local used CD shop. I spent the resulting store credit on Get Yer Boots On: The Best Of Slade and a used copy of Probot--Dave Grohl's metal outfit. (Both disks have their moments, but neither is worth writing home about.)

Then today I took advantage of the sunny weather and went for a drive. I ventured down into the city and stopped at my favorite shop, Paul's CDs. I ended up leaving with the following:

1) The Nice/The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack--Newly remastered with bonus tracks including a stereo remix of America. It sounds much better.

2) Porcupine Tree/The Sky Moves Sideways--Steve Wilson had Gavin Harrison lay down drum tracks to replace the drum machine on Dislocated Day and The Moon Touches Your Shoulder. He then remixed those two songs and remastered the rest. This recording sounds much improved now. I like the song Stars Die on the bonus disk.

3) Pallas/The Sentinel--Word of mouth told me that this is an excellent recording, so I picked it up. It too has been remastered. (I haven't listened to it yet.)

4) Yes/Relayer--Back in the 80's, I bought this recording on CD and hated it. No matter how I tried I just could not get into the music, and the CD sounded like Sheeeit! It was way too bright, and the bass was MIA. So I dumped it. Anyway, I spotted the newly remastered version of Relayer sitting in the racks. It was only $10.00, so I figured what the hell. I may as well give it another shot. I'm glad I did. I like it now, and soundwise this new CD blows off the original. Love the packaging.

DaveM

I saw that Slade thang in BreastBuy, and decided it didn't have much to offer than the one I already had (Sladest), so I didn't pick it up.

Yeah, Stars Die is very cool. I am eternally grateful to folks in here for turning me on to PT.

You shoulda asked about the Probot afore you bought. We could have let you listen first.

Sounds like a good day. I love a good music shopping experience. (Why does this reply sound like the Geezer?)

fp

N. Abstentia
04-11-2004, 04:09 AM
Who the heck is Porcupine Tree??

Slosh
04-11-2004, 05:19 AM
Who the heck is Porcupine Tree??

A band that intentionally tries to sound like Rush and Yes.

Yeah, intentionally! I could hardly believe it myself :p

Dusty Chalk
04-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Who the heck is Porcupine Tree??Pay no attention to him, he knows naught of what he speaks, they don't sound anything like Yes or Rush. I think he was thinking of the Flower Kings.

PS Great moniker. I presume that was a rhetorical question. I have no idea on how to describe them, other than to say they have similar sentiments to songwriting as do Pink Floyd from their golden period -- namely, long instrumental sections, a more patient approach to songwriting, and an otherwise anything-goes attitude towards whatever elements are desired to be included.