Drummer -- DT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Drummer -- DT

MasterCylinder
01-12-2011, 12:40 PM
No mention on the official website yet, but I'm hearing the new drummer for DREAM THEATER will be this guy...................

German native, Marco Minnemann is looked upon by his peers as one of the most gifted, innovative, cutting-edge drummers on the international music scene today. He has won numerous awards for his educational drum books and videos and was recently featured on the cover of the World’s #1 Drum Magazine, Modern Drummer. Minnemann’s unusual drum kit set up, which includes an array of multiple foot pedals, Gong drum, electronics and unique cymbal configurations, combined with his amazing, extreme interdependence skills has propelled him to superstar status among today’s elite drumming royalty. His total command of four-way independence is unequaled, and his over-the-top drumming creations are simply mind-boggling. He is a total drumming Super-Freak!
Marco’s “Extreme Interdependence” drum instructional book was voted the #1 educational book in several drumming magazines. His “Extreme Drumming” DVD also won several Readers Poll awards and earned Marco the prestigious Telly Award.

Not only is Minnemann a world-class drumming innovator, having brought stunned audiences to their feet at most every major drum festival in the world, but he is also a musical Renaissance man. His eclectic musical skills include composing, producing, and engineering, as well as being a multi-instrumentalist on guitar, bass, keyboards, and vocals. Minnemann has seven multi-faceted solo recordings to his name, along with several outstanding recordings with his former band, Illegal Aliens, and numerous recordings as a sideman and producer, working with such artists as Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big), Mike Keneally (Frank Zappa) and European superstar, Nina Hagen.

In 2006, Minnemann was invited to perform on a rare world clinic tour with legendary drummer Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa, Missing Persons, Brecker Bros.) and drumming great, Chad Wackerman (Frank Zappa, Allan Holdsworth). His top-selling instructional book, “Maximum Minnemann” was recently voted in the Top Five Best Educational Books in the Modern Drummer 2007 Readers Poll and his most recent DVD, The Marco Show (DW DVD) features riveting performances with artists Mike Keneally (guitar), Bryan Beller (bass) and the legendary Buddy Rich Big Band.

Marco Minnemann continues to redefine drumming and solidify his place in music history with a truly unique voice, and an undisputed talent, as one of the greatest drummers and innovative composers the world has ever witnessed.

Minnemann recently moved to the States and currently resides in San Diego, CA. In April 2007 Marco joined the German metal band, Necrophagist who will headline the 2007 Summer Slaughter tour. He is scheduled to record Necrophagist’s new album set for 2008 release.

Marco Minnemann proudly endorses DW Drums and Hardware, Zildjian Cymbals, Evans Drumheads, ProMark Drumsticks, Audix Microphones, and Roland Electronic Percussion.

Marco Minnemann started playing organ at the age of 6, and then switched to drums and guitar at the same time at the age of 11. Marco’s fame as one of the extraordinarily talented drummers and composers, reached him at the age of 19 all the way to Munich. The first ‘cross-over’ band “Freaky Fukin’ Weirdoz” offered him a position as drummer in 1992, in connection with a major deal with BMG-Ariola. The “Weirdoz” were the originators of so-called ‘cross-over’ music which today, various bands unjustifiably claim as their own.

The “Weirdoz” had a gig with European cult diva, Nina Hagen on the album “Mao Mak Maa” where a fantastic cover version of Ian Dury’s hit “Hit Me with Your Rhythm Stick” was created. Marco was immediately booked to play the following Nina Hagen tour. The successful collaboration with the “Weirdoz” ended in 1997 after Marco’s having worked together on four albums: “Senseless Wonder”, “Mao Mak Maa”, Culture Shock” and “Hula”.

Almost simultaneously, an engagement with the Top Ten ‘cross-over’ band “H-Blockx” came up on the album “Fly Eyes”. During 1997-1999, they played over 200 gigs together. Meanwhile, Marco’s reputation as a talented drummer reached out worldwide. Prominent were solo workshops, for example, at the Frankfurt Music Fair, PASIC in Dallas, and a solo performance at the prestigious “Modern Drummer Festival” where Marco had the honor of being the first German drummer to perform at this high-profile event. This performance, in the eyes of professionals and music trade magazines, catapulted him into the Top Ten of the drumming world. Following the Modern Drummer Festival were the Australian TUDW ?fest and the Montreal Drum festival in Canada.

While working with the “Weirdoz”, Marco also produced four albums with his own band “Illegal Aliens”, which included “Thickness”, “Red Alibis”, “Time” and “International Telephone”. Since then, Marco has recorded six solo albums: “The Green Mindbomb” “Comfortably Homeless”, “Orchids”, “Broken Orange”, “Mieze” and the 2CD set “Contraire de la chanson”, which are more on par with his talents as a multi-instrumentalist, composer and producer. “Motor” and “Normalizer” came out in 2003 in collaboration with the sound designer, Mario Brinkmann, and “Disarmed” along with Italian Bass Player, Fabio Trentini followed in 2005.

Moreover, Marco followed his passion for Jazz and Funk by playing with the “Wolfgang Schmid’s Kick” band. Schmid was ex-bassist in Dolinger’s “Passport” and composer of numerous film soundtracks.

Marco also co-produced and played instruments on Paddy Kellys (Kelly family) solo CD, which entered the charts in 2004. He also played on the double-platinum CD “Nena feat. Nena.” Marco has performed and recorded with such varied artists as: Paul Gilbert, Nena, Udo Lindenberg, H-Blockx, Mike Keneally, FFW, Gianna Nannini, Garry Willis, The Kelly Family and many more.

Finch Platte
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I read a cover blurb on Prog Mag where Mike Portnoy was crushed that they are continuing on without him. WTF!?

Edit: I was actually kinda hoping their new drummer would have been Jason Rullo from Symphony X, but after looking them (SX) up, I see they will be coming out with the followup to Paradise Lost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Lost_(Symphony_X_album)) any day now. I'd much rather hear him with Symphony X, so all is right with the world.

ForeverAutumn
01-12-2011, 03:07 PM
I read a cover blurb on Prog Mag where Mike Portnoy was crushed that they are continuing on without him. WTF!?

Here's the short version of a long story, as I've heard it.

- Portney told (yes, told) the guys of DT that he needed a break from DT and therefore the whole band was taking a break.
- The rest of the band said, **** You. We don't need no stinkin' break. But if you want to leave don't let us hold you back.
- Portnoy and his ego barely made it through the door. He posted on Twitter or his web site or some such place that he was "hurt" that the rest of the band wouldn't put their careers on hold based on his whim.
- DT proceed to audition drummers. Find a drummer. Announce that they have found a drummer, but can't say who until some legal paperwork is taken care of.
- Avenged Sevenfold and Portnoy part ways...I'm not sure why.
- Portnoy asked DT to take him back.
- DT responded through their lawyers, "Um...no thanks".
- Portnoy posts on the internets that he asked DT to take him back and the answer was no. He's hurt that the loud and resounding NO came through lawyers and not the boys themselves.
- Portnoy went home to cry and wonder why The World won't bow to his greatness.
- Meanwhile, The World still awaits official word of who DT's new drummer is, although everyone pretty much knows by now that it's Minneman.

Personally, I was (and am still, since nothing is official) hoping for Mike Mangini.

Symphony X...coming out with the followup to Paradise Lost (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Lost_(Symphony_X_album)) any day now.

That's very exciting news!!! :3:

kexodusc
01-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Here's the short version of a long story, as I've heard it.

- Portney told (yes, told) the guys of DT that he needed a break from DT and therefore the whole band was taking a break.
- The rest of the band said, **** You. We don't need no stinkin' break. But if you want to leave don't let us hold you back.
- Portnoy and his ego barely made it through the door. He posted on Twitter or his web site or some such place that he was "hurt" that the rest of the band wouldn't put their careers on hold based on his whim.
- DT proceed to audition drummers. Find a drummer. Announce that they have found a drummer, but can't say who until some legal paperwork is taken care of.
- Avenged Sevenfold and Portnoy part ways...I'm not sure why.
- Portnoy asked DT to take him back.
- DT responded through their lawyers, "Um...no thanks".
- Portnoy posts on the internets that he asked DT to take him back and the answer was no. He's hurt that the loud and resounding NO came through lawyers and not the boys themselves.
- Portnoy went home to cry and wonder why The World won't bow to his greatness.
- Meanwhile, The World still awaits official word of who DT's new drummer is, although everyone pretty much knows by now that it's Minneman.

Personally, I was (and am still, since nothing is official) hoping for Mike Mangini.

That's very exciting news!!! :3:
Why couldn't he just date a 21 year old or buy a sports car and deal with his mid-life crisis like a man?

Finch Platte
01-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Why couldn't he just date a 21 year old boy...

That's how I read this the first time. Whew, that was close, Mike! :eek6:

kexodusc
01-13-2011, 03:04 PM
That's how I read this the first time. Whew, that was close, Mike! :eek6: When's the new Symphony X coming out? :3:

Finch Platte
01-13-2011, 03:42 PM
When's the new Symphony X coming out? :3:

You poor guy- no Internets?

Latest Update From The Band!
North America's progressive metal masters SYMPHONY X are pleased to announce their upcoming April 25th, 2011 show at the Metropolis in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Also on the SYMPHONY X 2011 touring calendar are performances at the Best Buy Theater (formerly The Nokia) in New York on Friday, April 22nd and at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles on Tuesday, May 10th. V.I.P. tickets are available for all three shows and will include early entry, a Meet & Greet, and a free t-shirt. Purchase V.I.P. packages exclusively at EnterTheVault.com. Lead vocalist Russell Allen checks in about the new release and the upcoming shows: "I just want to say how excited I am about the new album. It's gonna kill! The songs rock and the performances by my fellow band mates are simply amazing. We can't wait to see the fans! You guys know how much we enjoy performing live. So get ready, SYMPHONY X has returned." SYMPHONY X are currently recording their Nuclear Blast debut and follow-up to 2007's Paradise Lost, which has sold over 60,000 copies in North America. Allen has finished recording his vocal tracks and the band is moving on to record keyboards, bass, and guitar solos. Guitarist Michael Romeo offers the following update: "We love the fans, and we know we haven't been as on top of things with the updates this year as we should have, but when it's down to the wire and we're going 24/7 trying to wrap things up, then that's what we're focused on. We really think the fans will like this album; it has been, by far, more work (and harder work) than any other album, period." The SYMPHONY X camp adds: "We're pleased to announce that both drummer Jason Rullo and lead vocalist Russell Allen recently became fathers for the second time. Jason is now the proud father of a beautiful baby girl and Russell and his wife now have a beautiful baby boy. Congratulations to them both!" In other band news, the SYMPHONY X Fan Club has been shut down and is currently being revamped. "We anticipate that it will be ready for new members around the same time as the new CD is released, if not a bit sooner. Existing/previous members should have either already received info on the change to a permanent membership setup and an invite to the new fan club mailing list or will be receiving it soon. If you are an existing/previous SYMPHONY X Fan Club member and have not received this notification, please contact Jax (jax@symphonyx.com) for more information." Fans are encouraged to submit questions for the band's soon-to-be-updated FAQ section of their website. Send questions in to symxfaq@gmail.com with "FAQ" in the subject line. Formed in 1994 in New Jersey, SYMPHONY X has seven studio albums and one live album to their credit. Visit SYMPHONY X online at www.SYMPHONYX.com, www.myspace.com/OFFICIALSYMPHONYX, and www.facebook.com/SYMPHONYX.

Luvin Da Blues
01-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Blah Blah Blah....."In other band news, the SYMPHONY X Fan Club has been shut down and is currently being revamped. "We anticipate that it will be ready for new members around the same time as the new CD is released, if not a bit sooner. Existing/previous members should have either already received info on the change to a permanent membership setup and an invite to the new fan club mailing list or will be receiving it soon. If you are an existing/previous SYMPHONY X Fan Club member and have not received this notification, please contact Jax (jax@symphonyx.com) for more information." Fans are encouraged to submit questions for the band's soon-to-be-updated FAQ section of their website. Send questions in to symxfaq@gmail.com with "FAQ" in the subject line. Formed in 1994 in New Jersey, SYMPHONY X has seven studio albums and one live album to their credit. Visit SYMPHONY X online at www.SYMPHONYX.com, www.myspace.com/OFFICIALSYMPHONYX, and www.facebook.com/SYMPHONYX".....Blah Blah Blah. [/I]

Gotta ask...does anyone really sign up to these fan clubs?

kexodusc
01-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Gotta ask...does anyone really sign up to these fan clubs?
I sign up to some - some send out free music not available on albums. Some discount tickets or pre-sales. Some do diddly-squat.

kexodusc
01-13-2011, 05:33 PM

[I]Latest Update From The Band!
-a bunch of stuff]

Thx. My igloo's still on dial up.

ForeverAutumn
01-13-2011, 05:41 PM

[I]Latest Update From The Band!
North America's progressive metal masters SYMPHONY X are pleased to announce their upcoming April 25th, 2011 show at the Metropolis in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

So then I went on their web site to check tour dates and they're playing Toronto!!!!!!!!!! Yippee! Unfortunately it's a week night, but I may just have to bite the bullet and go anyhow.

ForeverAutumn
01-14-2011, 06:34 AM
This was posted on PE earlier today...

1/13/11 update from Blabbermouth.net:

Despite rumors to the contrary, BLABBERMOUTH.NET has learned that 40-year-old international drumming sensation Marco Minnemann (KREATOR, NECROPHAGIST) **has NOT** joined DREAM THEATER as the replacement for the recently departed Mike Portnoy.

DREAM THEATER has yet to officially announce its new drummer despite the fact that the band has been rehearsing with one candidate exclusively since last fall. DREAM THEATER guitarist John Petrucci previously stated about the group's drummer search, "Auditions went great and we do have someone but we are spending some time getting everything in order before making an official announcement. Let me just say that we are all incredibly excited about our choice and just bursting at the seams to let the world know!"

I wonder whether there is a legitimate reason for not telling the fans who it is, or whether they're just trying to milk the discussions and articles that this is creating. Not saying who the drummer is is probably giving them more publicity than the actual announcement will.