Move your sub... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Move your sub...

Tarheel_
01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Saturday i needed to move my 15" Def Tech sub from between the Left Front and Center speaker to the other side between the Right Front and Center. A move of 5 feet to the Right.

This move was to free up space on the Left side of the room. I wasn't expecting any change in bass, but after listening to an NHL game in DD 5.1 and 2 DVDs later that night I cannot believe the difference in this sub.

The sub is much less bloated and boomy..meaning it's not as sloppy. I've often read where moving a sub can produce various results. Now, I'm a believer. So, if your not happy with your current sub then it's time to move it...and i don't mean to ebay.

Smokey
01-11-2011, 01:09 AM
Outside using an SPL meter and a test tone to find best place for sub, you can also use the "old school" method of crawling on the floor to find the best spot...

Crawling for Subwoofer ideal room location. (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=15743)

Nasir
01-11-2011, 03:09 PM
I have a novel technique remarked also sometime and somewhere on the internet, and it goes thus:
Leave the room and go to the adjoining room, do NOT close the door. ( I accidentely stumbled on this by having to smoke in the kitchen, and was listening casually to the HIFI system. I noticed an excess in boominess which was NOT so apparent in the living room. But after having heard it in the kitchen, I knew what to listen for, and there it was.... so I lowered the subwoofer vőlume a couple of notches and smoked another cigarette!!

Smokey
01-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Leave the room and go to the adjoining room, do NOT close the door. ( I accidentely stumbled on this by having to smoke in the kitchen, and was listening casually to the HIFI system. I noticed an excess in boominess which was NOT so apparent in the living room.

I don't think that is going to work :)

Sub probably will have different frequency response in different part of room. The only place that will matter is sweet spot and should calibrate the sub using the sweet spot as reference. Use the method I describe in the link in my post above and you should get in ball park.

Also I stuck a rolled up sock in my sub port and it reduce boominess associated with ported sub.

Good luck.