Coming In February!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Coming In February!!!

blackraven
01-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Oppo 95

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/89632

recoveryone
01-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Ouch!!! didn't the 93 just come out a few months ago? Its a beast of a unit from the specs given. Worf, let me know how you sale this upgrade to puddin........

Worf101
01-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Well Recovery, this looks like a modded, upgraded Oppo 93. The biggest differences are in the audio playback where they've included balanced outs and a bigger power supply. They say they've improved the DVD upscaling but having owned two Oppo's already I don't know how much room there was for improvement. I don't see a price here but they say'll it'll be under a grand. I see nothing on it to make me buy it, but hey... who knows.

Worf

pixelthis
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
THE PRICE is 979$.
Must have thrown everything, including the kitchen sink into this one.
Only have the one kidney left, saving that for some new speakers, but its tempting.:1:

pixelthis
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
NOW, I really don't see the need for a toroidal transformer, thats just engineering by P.R,
but the E-SATA could be usefull. AND DUAL hdmi out, and dual USB.
YEP, pretty much everything, might even pop the popcorn.:1:

blackraven
01-11-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm interested in it as a BP, DVDP, SACDP, Transport for 2ch into my DAC. If it can pop popcorn thats a bonus:smilewinkgrin: It would be nice if it could open wine and beer bottles as well.

E-Stat
01-11-2011, 01:30 PM
NOW, I really don't see the need for a toroidal transformer...

Toroidals have long been known to offer lower noise and are widely used in the best components, ranging from preamps and line stages to power amps, digital players, and even electrostatic speaker power supplies. My speakers, preamp and CD player all use toroids. I'm glad to hear Oppo is serious about competing at the top. Many fine players like my 2001 GamuT CD-1 have two separate power supplies: one for the analog section and one for the transport/digital.

http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/gamut1.jpg

thats just engineering by P.R,
The correct answer is "just good engineering". :)

rw

pixelthis
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Toroidals have long been known to offer lower noise and are widely used in the best components, ranging from preamps and line stages to power amps, digital players, and even electrostatic speaker power supplies. My speakers, preamp and CD player all use toroids. I'm glad to hear Oppo is serious about competing at the top. Many fine players like my 2001 GamuT CD-1 have two separate power supplies: one for the analog section and one for the transport/digital.

http://home.cablelynx.com/~rhw/audio/gamut1.jpg

The correct answer is "just good engineering". :)

rw

Not really.
MOST higher end CD players (and some midrange) have one or more power supplies,
and that is good engineering. But why does any of them have to have a toroidal
transformer? No real need, as a transport doesnt have the huge power requirements
of an amp. Quite a few amps don't have toroidal transformers.
Just overkill that allows the word "toroidal" into the ad copy.
And for close to a grand I should HOPE that the chassis boasts separate power supplies,
two at least, maybe even three.
HAVING seen that in less expensive players I would expect it, but with the current requirements of a disc player the toroidal transformer is like the tail-fins on a
1955 Detroit car, stylish but not needed.:1:

pixelthis
01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
And again E-stat goes off the beam, bringing up separate power supplies, which I DID'NT
MENTION at all.:1:

pixelthis
01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm interested in it as a BP, DVDP, SACDP, Transport for 2ch into my DAC. If it can pop popcorn thats a bonus:smilewinkgrin: It would be nice if it could open wine and beer bottles as well.

AND MAYBE order a pizza(well, with Ethernet...):1:

E-Stat
01-12-2011, 12:47 PM
But why does any of them have to have a toroidal
transformer?
I'll repeat for clarity. L-o-w-e-r---n-o-i-s-e.

And again E-stat goes off the beam, bringing up separate power supplies, which I DID'NT
MENTION at all.
You did, however, mention "good engineering" and I provided another example. I see you still have that penchant for unnecessarily hitting the carriage return like you're still typing on a Smith Corona.

...but with the current requirements of a disc player the toroidal transformer is like the tail-fins on a 1955 Detroit car, stylish but not needed.
You completely miss the point as current delivery has nothing to do with why they are better. And how is *style* involved with something you don't see?

rw

pixelthis
01-14-2011, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=E-Stat]I'll repeat for clarity. L-o-w-e-r---n-o-i-s-e.

Great if you're a german shepard. Nobody else will notice.

You did, however, mention "good engineering" and I provided another example. I see you still have that penchant for unnecessarily hitting the carriage return like you're still typing on a Smith Corona.

Its called a "paragraph"

You completely miss the point as current delivery has nothing to do with why they are better. And how is *style* involved with something you don't see?

So called "audiophiles" are more style conscious than a high school cheerleader, there are
a lot of "things you can't see" that are there simply to make sales, and some things that you can see, like vacume tubes .
AGAIN, you need a toroidal transformer on this thing like you need a jet engine on a
skate board. A nice player, but more over-engineered than Dolly Patons bra.:1:

E-Stat
01-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Great if you're a german shepard. Nobody else will notice.
It is a shame that you have never been exposed to or are able to appreciate better. I've aspired to improve my listening skills since I was a teen. Even my eight year old mid-fi NAD HT receiver uses one.

Its called a "paragraph"
Uh, no. A paragraph is a division that consists of one or more sentences. You arbitrarily create breaks in the middle of a sentence. Just like you've illustrated below.

AGAIN, you need a toroidal transformer on this thing like you need a jet engine on a
skate board. A nice player, but more over-engineered than Dolly Patons bra.
We'll place your comments into the proper perspective. :)

rw

Luvin Da Blues
01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
It is a shame that you have never been exposed to or are able to appreciate better. I've aspired to improve my listening skills since I was a teen. Even my eight year old mid-fi NAD HT receiver uses one.

Uh, no. A paragraph is a division that consists of one or more sentences. You arbitrarily create breaks in the middle of a sentence. Just like you've illustrated below.

rw

Not sure why you bother :mad2: ........we should just let some people believe what there going to believe. :lol:

woofersus
01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm mostly interested in the BD-95 because it means upgraders will sell me a bd-93 for cheap. :D

Now, if it offered all that analog sound quality AND would effectively take the place of my squeezebox, then I might spend the cheese. So far all of the players that offer streaming over a home network either won't support my lossless files and/or have a crappy interface that is sort of like navigating a file tree with a remote control. DLNA on my sony bd player hasn't been the answer by a long shot. (although the Pandora is nice)

E-Stat
01-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Not sure why you bother
Why get mad? I find ongoing entertainment with his posts. You never know what he'll come up with next. :)

rw

Luvin Da Blues
01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
I......... Uh, no. A paragraph is a division that consists of one or more sentences. You arbitrarily create breaks in the middle of a sentence. Just like you've illustrated below. ......... rw

Ya know, In all fairness to Pix. I find it a lot easier to read his writing style. than some posts that look like a huge block of letters with no Capitalization and minimal punctuation. I pretty much just skip over those ones now, too hard to read.. :smile5:

Luvin Da Blues
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Why get mad? I find ongoing entertainment with his posts. You never know what he'll come up with next. :)

rw

Oh, I'm not talking about getting mad. I find his post very entertaining also. To see what he going to say next is one big reason I stop by.

Just sayin' that your not going to convince him on anything he has his mind set on. Hell, I can be guilty of that sometimes to.

No offense Pix.

E-Stat
01-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Oh, I'm not talking about getting mad.
Hover over the first emoticon you chose and read what it says.

Just sayin' that your not going to convince him on anything he has his mind set on.
While he may be determined to limit his awareness of the world, I don't assume that others who may read the thread share the same limitation. They might actually want to learn something!

rw

Luvin Da Blues
01-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Hover over the first emoticon you chose and read what it says. rw

LOL, I meant it as the 'frustration' of trying to convince someone that does want to listen. ie; "talkin' to you is like like bangin' my head against a brick wall."

E-Stat
01-15-2011, 06:32 AM
LOL, I meant it as the 'frustration' of trying to convince someone that does want to listen. ie; "talkin' to you is like like bangin' my head against a brick wall."
As I mentioned in my last post, the target audience is not Pixie. Now and again, I think it can be useful for others to hear a different perspective on audio matters from those who actually know what they're talking about. Quite a few individuals here fill that role when Pixie starts demonstrating his lack of real knowledge or experience.

rw

poppachubby
01-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Please let's get the discussion back to arguing about something which can benefit the membership, such as power supplies or maybe even the topic. Thanks guys...

E-Stat
01-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Please let's get the discussion back to arguing about something which can benefit the membership, such as power supplies or maybe even the topic.
I'll be happy to return to the value of well engineered power supplies. You really need to experience the Touch with a good linear. Everything gets quieter and more detail becomes evident that was there all along. You find yourself playing music at lower levels and still getting the same enjoyment.

rw

pixelthis
01-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Hover over the first emoticon you chose and read what it says.

While he may be determined to limit his awareness of the world, I don't assume that others who may read the thread share the same limitation. They might actually want to learn something!

rw

What condescending B.S. Like a close minded type such as you would have anything to teach me. You could stand to learn a few things yourself, hotshot
For instance, your "listening skills" are base more on your imagination than anything else,
you ignore lab measurements that don't match up with your pre-conceived notions, and
looking down your nose at others who actually pay attention is your main hobby.
SAD.:1:

pixelthis
01-16-2011, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=E-Stat]It is a shame that you have never been exposed to or are able to appreciate better. I've aspired to improve my listening skills since I was a teen. Even my eight year old mid-fi NAD HT receiver uses one.

Keep improving them, you have a ways to go.
And I REALLY DON'T care what your NAD uses, as that has nothing to do with the price of eggs, as a toroidal can really benefit an amp , unlike a disc player that doesn't really need the high current output. Its just there to look good on the spec sheet, and the fact that you don't understand that speaks volumes about what you do know.

I have already placed your comments in the "proper" place, mainly the round file.:1:

E-Stat
01-16-2011, 12:45 PM
...as a toroidal can really benefit an amp , unlike a disc player that doesn't really need the high current output.
And for even lower noise, you're now finding R-core transformers replacing the twenty five year reign of toroids in players, line stages and other low level devices.

Sony DVP-S9000E (http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/dvps9kgut.jpg)

Ayon CD-1 (http://www.highfidelity.pl/!ev/artykuly/23_03_2009/ayon/05.jpg)

Ortofon Phono preamp (http://www.ortofon.jp/english/product/equalizer/index.html)

Esoteric P03 (http://www.spearitsound.com/esoteric/p03.htm)

Parasound JC-2 preamp (http://www.parasound.com/img/halo/jc2_inside3_577.jpg)

Audio Research PH7 phono preamp (http://www.arcdb.ws/PH7/PH7.html)

Audio Research REF-5 line stage (http://www.arcdb.ws/REF5/REF5.html)

Etc, etc. etc.

rw