Gomer Pyle, USMC [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gomer Pyle, USMC

Smokey
01-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Let me first say that I was not a big fan of Gomer Pyle, so followig are observations made seeing it on DVD for first time after probably 30 years.

The first thing the viewer notice is show picture quality. Originally shot on 35mm with feature-film quality lighting and lensing, these episodes look awesome esepecially on outdoor scenes. The colors pop from screen.

Also the main charactor of this series is not Gomer Pyle, but rather his superiour Sgt. Carter (Frank Sutton) as he get more screen time than Pyle and do more physical comedy. This would have not worked if wasn't for Carter's excellent comic timing and performance.

And being from the same producer as Andy Griffith's show, the show writing is pretty smart and don't spiral to being silly just for sake of being funny. All in all, a good adult entertainment.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/190/1182874481_1.jpg

JohnMichael
01-10-2011, 06:26 AM
I can relate to Gomer but without the singing voice. If I had joined the Marines I would have been a bigger disaster. I used to get a kick out of their girlfriends.

Good point about the image quality from having been shot on film. Digital in some ways still has a way to go. Much like digital vs analog for music.

Smokey
01-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Good point about the image quality from having been shot on film.

I'm supposing with show being shot on film, a HD bluray version is also possible, but I doubt Paramount will go thru trouble of remastering the show in HD.

As you said Gomer (Jim Nabors) does have a good voice. One of the episode showcase his voice.