Looking for thoughts/advice on my system so far.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for thoughts/advice on my system so far....

Harryt
04-10-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm brand-spanking new to this, having owned only a boom box before deciding the music I love was worth better. So, I'm kind of wandering into this, just getting advice wherever I can. I wanted to share what's been purchased (all of it being sent to me presently) to get a sense of whether people think this is coming together well, what else I might consider getting to strengthen the system or balance it, etc. I plan to use this system for music exclusively for the time being and I live in a not-huge apartment....

Here's where I'm at:

Pair of Paradigm Studio Ref. 60 v3
JoLida JD-302B
Sherwood Newcastle CD-980T
Magnum Dynalab FT101A tuner

Whatever thoughts anyone has would be welcome.

Thanks.

gonefishin
04-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi Harry,

First off...welcome to the hobby. Second, there ain't nothin' wrong with a boombox! MtryCrafts has been reportedly known to have one...and I've got one also. Although mine has one blown speaker...so I'd guess it may not be the best ;)

Seriously tho, the system looks good...you should like it. Have you heard any of the components when you decided to get them? either way...you'll be happy with the system.

Some generic advice...This is one dang fun hobby, plus you have the advantage of this hobby of audio colliding with your love for music. How cool is that! :D But, for the advice...only get as far into this hobby as you can enjoy...and if something doesn't make sense to you...be skeptical. This doesn't necessarily mean to dismiss something in whole...just use caution proceeding. It also doesn't mean that once you visit one thought that the thought cannot be revisited at a later time...keeping in mind the first part I suggested ;)

but the main thing...HAVE FUN!!

04-10-2004, 08:09 PM
What he is really trying to say is that in the world of Audio, there are people who are going to want to RIP YOU OFF! so be careful. Gimmicks all over. This will improve that by x amount. If you don't get this, then your ____ will never reach it's full potential. You get the idea. I'm just starting off in this hobby too, except that I'm poor. However, I think its even MORE fun when you have to find the best stuff with a limited amount of cash.

If you like doing your own thing, why dont get your hands into DIY in the future! You will have more fun tweaking it since you know all the parts already and where they are. PLUS...you can say "I made this myself" to your friends. Well...that could be a plus or a minus...."wow really!" or..."damn...no wonder it sounds so bad..."

gonefishin
04-11-2004, 05:05 AM
Hi 92147456483 :D Good points

What he is really trying to say is that in the world of Audio, there are people who are going to want to RIP YOU OFF! so be careful. Gimmicks all over. This will improve that by x amount. If you don't get this, then your ____ will never reach it's full potential. You get the idea. I'm just starting off in this hobby too, except that I'm poor. However, I think its even MORE fun when you have to find the best stuff with a limited amount of cash.

That's only partially what I was saying. While you need to be skeptical with audio, you can go too far. When starting out...it would be easy to believe that a $200.00 HT receiver is as good as it gets, because who can dispute the specs supplied with the machine...their as same as the amp that costs 4x's the price! SAme with CD players and other sources.

While there are many bargains out there, there are also components that may perform better than what you have (tho price isn't always an indicator). If your new to the hobby...best advice I could give is to be skeptical, but don't dismiss everything. If your given the impression that audio is filled to the gills with 100% BS, you can be doing yourself as much of a disservice as if you bought into every audiophile pixie dust claim out there.

But, audio ('least for me) is just a hobby. Remember to build your system for you. By this I mean (as you said) Don't let anyone tell you your system is squat because you don't have XYZ component. Progress and digress as you dang well please. Just know that's it's your decision to buy or sell something. Also, don't be afraid to revisit issues you once thought were erroneous. You may still find the same results, or you may be surprised that it may give you just a little something you had been searching for in a big way. But do this for yourself...make sure it's your decision...try to do these "tests" with little or no cost (in home demo) and have fun! Buy what's right for you...not right for me.

(ok...side note:)

I've said before that I view audio and music as two different hobbies, separate from each other...even tho their paths cross quite often. DIY is the same thing (for me)...it's like a great third hobby that crosses paths with my other two hobbies. Again, how cool is that! (for those that don't know the answer...I think it's pretty dang cool. You can decide, of course, for yourself ;) ) What fun!

have fun!