Question about the Benchmark DACs high res capabilities [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Benchmark DACs high res capabilities

phileserver39
01-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi all,

Well I have finally decided (fa real this time) that the Benchmark DAC 1 will be be the DAC I purchase at the end of January when my commission check hits (yeeehaaa). Spending it before I get it (once again)....is there no cure for this audiophile disease?

I was going to get the PS Audio unit and save a couple hund-skis but needing a separate headphone amp/ALP Potentiometer unit along side the PS unit just doesn't make financial sense to me...sooooooo, the Benchmark all-in-one is clearly the way to go.

The one curious thing about the Benchmark is that it claims 24/96 conversion but will play 192khz files at only 48khz(?). What gives? Here is someone from Benchmark explaining:

The Benchmark DAC1 is a two-channel, 24-bit, 96kHz digital-to-analog audio converter that is one of the more significant recent advances in digital audio conversion technology. The DAC1 provides some of the finest analog conversion through resolutions up to 24-bit/96kHz, and will play back 192kHz with a 48kHz analog bandwidth.

I can totally understand that the unit just isn't designed to convert an inbound signal higher than 96khz but why does it play a 192khz signal at only 48khz? Why wouldn't it play it back at 96khz?

I realize that this question is best asked to a Benchmark engineer but can any of you audio geniuses give a possible reason for this?

Thanks for your time and expertise,

jason

Poultrygeist
01-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Have you checked out the Audio GD line?

http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20audio-gd.htm

phileserver39
01-31-2011, 07:54 AM
Hey Poultry,

No, I will check the Audio GD line out. Although I just now came back from picking up the PS Digilink III unit. I followed another AR's advice and found one brand new, factory sealed for $620 including GA sales tax. I highly recommend Walter and Underwood Hifi!

This thing blows away my Audio Alchemy and Asus STX card! I can't wait to hear how it sounds after the required burn-in period.

I am very pleased.

Jack in Wilmington
01-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Hey Jason, I'm a little confused. In your first post you were going to get the Benchmark. What changed your mind? I've been looking at the PS Audio, the Benchmark and the Simaudio 100D and trying to find a way to audition all three.

phileserver39
01-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey Jason, I'm a little confused. In your first post you were going to get the Benchmark. What changed your mind? I've been looking at the PS Audio, the Benchmark and the Simaudio 100D and trying to find a way to audition all three.

Hey Jack,

I decided that I would save the $180 bucks with the retail source I found and put that (coupled with the $200 I would have saved by not buying the Benchmark) towards a separate HP amp. I have finally seen that my amp and preamp are really quite good compared to a cost to upgrade scenario.

Best,

J

Jack in Wilmington
02-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Hey Jack,

I decided that I would save the $180 bucks with the retail source I found and put that (coupled with the $200 I would have saved by not buying the Benchmark) towards a separate HP amp. I have finally seen that my amp and preamp are really quite good compared to a cost to upgrade scenario.

Best,

J

I know you were concerned with sampling rates on the Benchmark. A couple other members here at AR have the PS and love it, so I'm sure you made a good choice.