Any advantage to plug components into each other? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to plug components into each other?

phileserver39
01-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I have the ability to power my preamp directly from a cheapo power strip or I can plug it into the Pioneer VSX-D1S that I am using as an amp. The VSX will be plugged into said power strip (for the sake of full disclosure).

Any power or audible advantage between the two options?

Thanks

Mr Peabody
01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
If the preamp doesn't have a large power supply it would probably be alright plugged into the receiver's AC outlet. Me personally, if you have a strip, plug both components into the strip so they have their own supply of AC.

Luvin Da Blues
01-07-2011, 05:42 PM
I would plug the receiver into the wall receptacle (since it's the biggest load) and everything else into the power strip.

Mr Peabody
01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I was thinking that as well LDB but in hopes the strip had some surge protection I went that way.

Luvin Da Blues
01-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I was thinking that as well LDB but in hopes the strip had some surge protection I went that way.

Phil said it was a cheapo power strip so I doubt it has any effective surge suppressing capabilities.

phileserver39
01-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Phil said it was a cheapo power strip so I doubt it has any effective surge suppressing capabilities.
Thanks for your suggestions. It is a basic unit which offers the BS $25K blah blah protection should a surge strike your gear blah blah.

When I say "cheapo" it is in comparison to the decent power strips such as Fuhrman, etc.

Luvin Da Blues
01-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. It is a basic unit which offers the BS $25K blah blah protection should a surge strike your gear blah blah.

When I say "cheapo" it is in comparison to the decent power strips such as Fuhrman, etc.

Gotcha, then I would go with what Mr. P said.

eisforelectronic
01-07-2011, 09:21 PM
As far as load goes it's still coming through the same circuit either way. The main difference would be depending on how much of a choke point the surge protector is. If load is really of concern simply running an extension cord from a different outlet that you know runs from a different circuit may make a difference. this is of course the cheap way to experiment with power. Many of my friends have separate electrical outlets from individual circuits run for each component in their system.

Poultrygeist
01-29-2011, 03:07 AM
Living in the deep south where electrical storms can arise without warning I've leaned the hard way that all gear must be plugged into surge protectors.

Mr Peabody
01-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Living in the deep south where electrical storms can arise without warning I've leaned the hard way that all gear must be plugged into surge protectors.

No kidding, I lived in Atlanta for a couple years and I think more people died from lightning in that period than all my life in the Midwest.

swan24
02-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I am not a big fan of anything but an unswitched, unfused, unlighted, non-breakered, non-surge protected, unfiltered power strip... I think all that stuff colors the sound... And not in a good way, BTW...

Try this: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=5339218

If there is a lightning storm, simply pulling the plug is always a better precaution anyway...

It is the exact same unit that Naim approves for their equipment, but is sold for more than TWICE as much at audio stores... Caveat emptor... (m.)

added: here is data sheet: http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Datasheets/BM/WIREMOLD/533-9218.PDF

pixelthis
02-06-2011, 01:04 PM
I am not a big fan of anything but an unswitched, unfused, unlighted, non-breakered, non-surge protected, unfiltered power strip... I think all that stuff colors the sound... And not in a good way, BTW...

Try this: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=5339218

If there is a lightning storm, simply pulling the plug is always a better precaution anyway...

It is the exact same unit that Naim approves for their equipment, but is sold for more than TWICE as much at audio stores... Caveat emptor... (m.)

added: here is data sheet: http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Datasheets/BM/WIREMOLD/533-9218.PDF

No way it can "color" the sound.
AND HOW CAN I put on my horn helmet and sing OPERA during a thunderstorm iffen I
unplug my gear?:1:

GMichael
02-06-2011, 01:12 PM
AND HOW CAN I put on my horn helmet and sing OPERA during a thunderstorm iffen I

I think that you should go outside to do that singing. If you can find a big hill it would help.:out:

swan24
02-06-2011, 03:45 PM
No way it can "color" the sound.

That's what I thought until I put a reasonably well-respected name power conditioner in my system, then just listened... I didn't even have to listen for more than five minutes... Definitely degraded the sound in every discernable way... Took it out, and there was the music again... Actually, the best sound I got was plugging stuff directly into the wall outlet... No kidding...

Here's what Gene Rubin of Gene Rubin Audio says about power conditioners:

" Our customers often inquire about the purchase of a power conditioner suitable for a Naim Audio system. You absolutely do not need one-- every power conditioner we know of reduces musical performance dramatically. Do not be fooled-- power conditioners will make your system worse in every case. (A few will make one area a little better while ruining fifty other areas-- that is the best case we have seen!) If the power is dirty, you can't improve it with a power conditioner without taking away some of the remaining quality and punch... "

Here's the power strips he sells: http://generubinaudio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=GRAS&Category_Code=acc