Logitech drops the ball [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Logitech drops the ball

recoveryone
01-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I was just on the Slime device forums and read that Logitech discontinued the Transporter Digital player last month. Talk about only caring about the bottom line, It was not a flying off the shelf seller, but it was considered audiophile grade level unit and was the standard for all others to meet.

Well the bright side may be that others (resellers) will start popping up on the web offing them for under $1k maybe....I hope

Ajani
01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Last month? I thought they discontinued it several months ago...

recoveryone
01-07-2011, 12:48 PM
It could have been, I read a post dated last month announcing the news. The web site still shows it on the current product line. I would like to pick one up even used if the price was in my range.

E-Stat
01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
It was not a flying off the shelf seller, but it was considered audiophile grade level unit and was the standard for all others to meet.
Even then, there were several companies who modified them like Modwright (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright3/transporter.html) who put in a better analog output stage.

Well the bright side may be that others (resellers) will start popping up on the web offing them for under $1k maybe....I hope
Perhaps the change might also mean that they focus their attention on improvements to the Touch series.

rw

recoveryone
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
The original Slim Device company encouraged modding on both the hardware and software side. Many of the improvements in the early years were made by hobbyist and adopted by Slim Device. Since Logictech brought them out, that type of interaction between owners of the SB and the company died off to nothing. Even the support staff at Logictech is clueless on many of the issues that come up with network drops and format streaming. If not for some of the die hards on the forums most would be lost.