Thinking about a turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a turntable

Enochrome
01-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Thinking about making a cross over to belt driven from direct drive.

Going from my Luxman PD-272 to a Thorens TD-125 MK 2?

Is this a lateral, upgrade or downgrade move?

Also, I can get one for $250, is that too much?

Advice appreciated.

poppachubby
01-07-2011, 04:58 AM
Hey Eno, glad to hear you're still trying to develop your analog. I would say yes, most certainly an upgrade. Does it have the original arm on it? It's hard to say if the price is good or not without that info, also what condition is it in?

I think that for what you enjoy, the Thorens is a move in the right direction. They are excellent tables for modding, so you can save up some money and put a really nice Rega or SME arm on it. THEN you will have something really special.

You haven't even heard your LPs yet until you hear them with a well deisgned belt drive w/ an esoteric arm.

Just briefly I think that $250 should represent a super clean, intact deck, otherwise it might be a little on the high side. Have an eye for the older Ariston and AR decks also Eno. They represent a great value and are usually found with great arms already mounted.

Other than that how are you?!? Hope your holidays went well. I assume that you're enjoying your music collection as I haven't seen you around here much. That's a good thing but please do stop in more.

Enochrome
01-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Poppa!

Thanks for the advice! And it is good to see your voice :) I have been busy the last couple of months and have not been paying attention to the analog happenings, but that is a lousy excuse. I have been shopping for records consistently.

Yeah, I disappear sometimes which is lame of me. Sometimes you guys are way out of my league when it comes to this stuff. You guys go way deep that I could not contribute
much and what I could would be novice at best. Besides that, I do like reading all you gurus' posts; i do learn a crap load!!! I think I'll just throw in a "hellz yeah" every so often to keep me from drifting.

So, I looked at the Thorens and with your advice in mind, I looked it over:

First things are the good: plinth and suspension frame, platter, motor, and pitch control, i.e. electronics in general. As well, it had a Grado Silver on it.

The bad: the tonearm, because it is missing the counter weight.

I thought about it and I told him I would give him what this other guy offered: $200.
I think it was a little on the high side, but I won't get a chance like this again, and the arm is considered the weak spot like you said Poppa. I would like to save up and get a SME 3009.

I'm not sure if I got a "good deal", but one I can live with because it is said that once this table is modded correctly it is very close the Linn LP12 (which ironically I read that the LP 12 was inspired by this table, true?)

My holiday was very chill. It rained here in L.A. the whole Christmas break practically, which was kind of a bummer but we need the rain BAD!!! But we SOCAL's are wusses about weather (but we won't stop dinner for a earthquake).

How was your holiday Poppa? How is the understanding :) wife and cute kids? Hope your Arinston and Nag combo are keeping you happy.

I'll post a review of my MP-30 and add a post to the "Vintage Finds" thread of some other goodies I picked up.

Good to hear from you.

Be safe and musical,

Poppa and everyone!!!

hifitommy
01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
there's a black grace 707 on a'gon for $225 right now. its a FINE arm and easy to use.

Enochrome
01-07-2011, 10:53 PM
just read this post. That Grace is a deal it seems. Although, I am not sure if I
want to use another low mass arm again and limit my cartridge options of singling out low compliance MC's ( 103, Dynavector, Shelter, etc..) seeing how
I want to make this my reference deck.

I'll have to think that one over, but that is an excellent heads up HifiTommy

Much appreciated!