Repair of lamp amplifier: what is the fair cost [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Repair of lamp amplifier: what is the fair cost

ggolub
01-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Folks, I would like to take your opinion on what's fair.
My VTL int. amp stop playing right channel.
Company refered me to authorized technician so I was not so much concerned about about price of repair.
When I brought in, guy told me that minimum charge is $220.
It turned you he changed 1 lamp and re-biased others.

I do not mind to pay for work but it has to be fair both ways.
Please give my your opinions, I needed it.

basite
01-06-2011, 04:42 AM
setting bias adjustments, doesn't take that much time...
and, it's amongst the first things the tech checks, so unless he checked the entire amp for faults, defects, ... that is quite alot of money for the time he spent on it...

what tube did he replace, and what tube did he use to do so?

Welcome to AR, btw :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

ggolub
01-06-2011, 05:12 AM
He replaced EL 34 in VTL IT85 amp which is in charge for right channel.
Since owner refered me to this technician I assumed that price for work would be the same as VTL charge itself.
When I checked manual explaining on how to test lamps and bias them, I would do it in 30 min the most including unpacking the item.
Again, I want to pay guy according to accepted standards, hansomely but not more than that.

Mash
01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
We all blow money from time to time. And the service tech has to eat!

If you can do such work yourself, then I suggest that is what you should do- at least give it your best shot before you take it for service. A really good DMM can be had reasonably. I picked up two *very* nice DMM at RS on closeout maybe 8 years back for $22 each. I have been flogging them ever since.

BTW if one EL34 went south, why wouldn't the rest not be far behind? Did a too-high bias voltage kill it?

BTW#2 I retubed a Jolida 302B (EL34) with Russian Winged-C tubes. Very nice!